The Deadly Truth (1: Part 2) | Teen Ink

The Deadly Truth (1: Part 2)

By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois

He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

I nodded and followed them out to the car, climbing into the backseat and buckling my seatbelt. As we pulled away from the funeral ceremony, I stared out the window. Stared at Lindsey, who was walking to her car with her family. Could it have really been her? Or was Bobby just an excellent liar?

I really didn’t know, and I really didn’t feel like thinking about it anymore. It was just such a horrible thing to be thinking about right now. After all, I was still mentally and emotionally recovering from finding my sister with her head bashed in. I wasn’t ready to be choosing suspects yet.

But I did want to know who killed Becca. I was sick of not knowing. I was sick of wondering whether it was Lindsey or Bobby. How much did I actually know though? Maybe there was some kind of random occurrence where a serial killer happened to walk past our garage, see Becca, and decide to kill her.

Oh, who was I kidding? That couldn’t have happened. Well it could have, but it was very unlikely. I actually wasn’t sure if Lindsey had an alibi or not yet. If she didn’t, then I could easily put the blame on her. Ok, I definitely had to go and meet with Detective Howard again. I had some questions to clarify with him.

When we arrived at our house and pulled into our driveway, I hopped out of the car right away, eager to meet with Detective Howard now. “Hey, Mom,” I said.

“Yes?” she replied.

“Can I borrow the car please? I just kind of feel like going for a drive.” I lied.

She smiled sadly, “I get it. You want to be alone with your thoughts. Sometimes, going for a drive soothes me too.” Then she tossed me the car keys.

“Thanks, mom.” I told her. My parents walked into the house, going through the front door, considering our garage was now a crime scene. I got into the front seat of my mom’s little silver Sedan and started it up, backing out of the driveway.

Then I drove down the street, past all the houses, past the park, passing trees. And then out of nowhere, everything got a bit blurry. That’s when I realized that I was crying. I wiped away the tears with the back of my hand, managing to keep my eyes on the road. Until finally, I reached the police station.

I walked inside and up to the front desk. “Hi, how can I help you?” the lady at the front desk asked. I read her named tag only to see that it was Karen Schneider, the woman I’d talked to when I called the cops after finding Becca in the garage, dead.

“Hi, I’m Rachel Everhart. I actually spoke to you on the phone a few days ago about my sister, Becca.” I informed her.

“Oh, yes, I remember you.” she said. “I’m very sorry about your sister. It’s horrible what happened to her.”

I nodded. Another “sorry”, what a surprise. “Yes, well I’m here to speak to Detective Howard. I have a few questions I’d like to ask him.”

“Ok, I’ll be right back.” She turned and walked off down a narrow hallway, then soon came back with Detective Howard at her side.

“Rachel, come this way please.” he told me. I made my way around the front desk and followed him back down the hallway. He led me into a small office that must have been his. I sat down in a soft, leathery chair and he sat across from me in his swivel chair that sat behind his desk. “I heard you have some questions for me.”

“Yes, I do.” I replied with a brief nod.

“Alright, I’m all ears.” He propped his elbows up on his desk and leaned his chin down on his fists, paying close attention to what I said.

“Well, first I’d like to know if Lindsey Kiernan has an alibi.” I began.

Now he removed his elbows from his desk and sat back in his chair, letting out a sigh. “Actually, she does. She said she was at home and her older sister’s a witness.”

“You can’t honestly believe that, can you? Bobby had almost the exact same alibi. One of them has to be lying.”

“Well what am I supposed to do? I can’t arrest either of them because there’s no proof that either of them did it. For all we know, it could have been a random guy off the street.”

Now I was getting irritated. “I think we both know very well that it wasn’t just some random guy. It was either Bobby or Lindsey, that’s all there is to it. Both of them had motives. Lindsey’s Bobby’s ex and Bobby and Becca were fighting at the time.”

He swallowed hard, his Adam’s apple bobbing up and down. “There’s actually one more suspect.”

My brow knit together, unsure of who else was there at that time. And then I figured it out. My mouth dropped open in shock. “You can’t honestly think that I did it, can you?” I demanded.

“I’m sorry, but we have to look at all of our options here. I honestly don’t think it was you, but we have to include you as a suspect.” he explained. Maybe it was logical, but it sure as hell wasn’t true! I could never kill anyone. Especially not my sister.

“Ok, I get it.” I said. “But there’s one more thing I have to tell you. I was talking to Bobby Warner earlier and he said that him and Becca were having difficulties. And that I was the difficulty. He didn’t get a chance to explain it any further than that, but would you mind maybe calling him in to ask him about it?”

“Of course, I’ll do that right away.” he replied.

“Ok, thank you. Oh, and one more thing. Bobby said he saw Lindsey listening in on the fight. I don’t know if it’s true, but that’s what he told me.”

He nodded, “Don’t worry, I’ll definitely look into that.” I smiled at him and left.

Here's Part 2 of chapter 1, enjoy :)

lol thanx so much! :)

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
This is amazing. I can't wait until your next one. I read many of your romance stories with Ash and all that, and those were OK, but I stopped because they became to dramatic and were going really fast. They had good plotlines but only OK writing. Since then, I think you have improved a lot. The language in this is 10 times better then in those, and you have a good amount of details. You really have a talent for writing, and I love this story. You HAVE to post another, soon! Ill be waiting! 5 stars and favorite, by the way.