Cold | Teen Ink

Cold

“It’s cold….” I say to Emily through chattering teeth, my little sister by 4 years, “Someone should be coming though….” I add on as I rub my hands together for warmth as I look at the small hole through the snow we were caged in. 

“The heroes….?” Emily says so soft her voice could be lost in the rough wind outside of the snow. 

“Yes Emily. Heroes!” I say, my voice cracking slightly, “Heroes….” Emily says again, her cheeks rosy and her lips turning a slight blue as she looked at me with her dark brown, tearfilled eyes. 

“We should’ve stayed inside the house like mommy said….” she said as she closed her eyes, her breath coming out as clouds through her nose. Emily and I were playing pretend out in the snow while mom and dad were fighting inside. Mom told us not to go outside because it was getting late and it was below freezing but I insisted that Emily come with me. We had been playing for a while when the snow started to pick up and a big truck drove by and buried us under all this snow. I rolled my eyes, Emily was always a good kid, an angel almost. I was never that good when I was 5. 

“Your just a goody goody. Don’t worry…mom probably hasn’t even noticed we are gone….” I say as I roll over the best I can so I can face Emily. My legs were stuck under the pounds of snow on us, she looked like she was sleeping. 

“Emily are you even listening to me?” I say angrily through my cracking voice. No response. “Are you still mad that I made you play the villain when we were playing?” I grumble as I shake her slightly, still no response. 

“Emily?” I say my voice shaky, suddenly my anger is gone. “Emily? Emily. Emily wake up…”

More to come.