The Murder | Teen Ink

The Murder

By mcauley BRONZE, Cobbtown, Georgia
mcauley BRONZE, Cobbtown, Georgia

I didn’t mean to kill her. She snuck up behind me as if she was wanting to rob me. I jumped, fearfully and quickly grabbed my pistol from my holster and rapidly turned around and pulled the trigger. I... I was shocked not knowing that the lady was just telling me that I left my keys on the table at the restaurant. I murdered her, not even turning around to look and see who was trying to get my attention. Instead of turning around to see what this person wanted I shot her. I am a murderer. Soon enough the police and the ambulance showed up. The police asked witnesses for information on what happened. One bystander told the police that she was shot by me. As the ambulance was checking her for vital signs, the police were questioning me and putting me in the back of the police car. When we got back to the police station the police questioned me about what happened. I told the police that I thought she was trying to rob me, she snuck up on me out of nowhere. The police told me that the ambulance did everything they could, but the lady was pronounced DEAD. That word DEAD kept ringing in my head, I thought to myself, I could not have murdered someone, not me. The police took me in for questioning and briefed me and gave me a court date. I sat in jail waiting for my court date, wondering who this woman was, what her name was, why did she sneak up on me instead of yelling “Ma’am you forgot your keys”.  On November 2nd, 2001, I went to court and was on trial for murder/ in/voluntary manslaughter. The trial took weeks even months, but when I heard the verdict the name of the woman was announced, Marry Whitefield, that name scared me for life. She was a known robber who often took advantage of people by telling them they left their keys at the SW Diner. The judge reached a verdict, the verdict was 2 years in a minimum-security prison facility, and 5 years on parole. Once I heard this verdict, I was relieved. The judge had given me the shortest sentence I could have gotten. The odds were on my side. The judge also told me that if I behaved, he would let me out early and maybe even drop the charges and no parole. Fast forward to the year of 2002, the judge called me from my cell and told me that he was letting me out and dropping my charges. This was the best day of my life. Then shortly after I got out, I received a call from the police department wanting to recruit me for a special operations unit. I accepted this recruitment that I was offered. I came in the next day and was assigned to sheriff, and from there began the rest of my life. I couldn’t believe how a murder could change my life to having no job at all to having the best job ever. The captain called me into his office one day to tell me that he was resigning. The captain was the best man I had ever known. He offered me his position, he said he would give me the rest of the week to think about it. I thought about it every day and the closer it got to me deciding the harder it got to decide. The week had ended, and I was the new captain of the SCPD. With this job I had a lot of responsibilities. I thought to myself even the worst people can have a good life. Everyone in this town hated me at one point but now they love me. I love my life busting criminals and being on the best police team in Seattle. But then things took a turn, one criminal who was on the FBI most wanted list came across me. He fired at me first and he hit me. I called for backup and i pulled out my AR-15 and I fired at the suspect he went down. The ambulance arrived and then coroner he was dead. I was a murderer once again. This time I was awarded by the FBI with a $50,000,000 cash prize. I was known as a national hero. Then I heard wake up, wake up it was the paramedics I was in the back of an ambulance. I woke up and didn’t remember a thing then they reminded me. I had been in a head-on collision, and I was the only one who made it. Then I realized it was all just a dream.