Running in the Halls | Teen Ink

Running in the Halls

January 20, 2022
By mstadler1214 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
mstadler1214 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

No running in the halls, a rule as old as school itself. A rule that is so universal in its application that there are likely few who have not heard of it at least once. It is one of the great pillars of school; something that has stood the test of time for generations. And here I am breaking it. Now while I normally follow rules such as this one, during emergencies such as this, they become trivial, something not even worthy of a second thought. As I run, teachers stop to shout at me, ordering me to stop this blasphemous crime. I pay them no mind, for they do not understand my plight. As I continue onward, I crash into another student who is roaming the halls. The books and papers he carries are sent flying through the air, like leaves falling from a tree in the fall. As he frantically tries to collect his things, he looks to me for help with a pleading look in his eyes. However, I can not falter for a trivial matter such as this. I storm ahead, unwavering, unrelenting, unyielding. As I near my destination, my urgency grows even greater. Desperate, I begin to run faster, for this is a matter of life and death, something so important that failure will lead to my untimely demise. I round the corner and see it standing before me, the light at the end of the tunnel, my sanctuary. Its beauty divine makes all that surrounds it look bleak in comparison. I start to slow down, thinking this ordeal to be over, but this was a mistake. A sudden feeling, a tension, brings my desperation to a boiling point. My sanctum is close but the odds are stacked against me. “Can I make it? Is it possible?” I ask myself. However, in this matter of life and death. I will not be deterred. With speed rivaling that of an Olympic athlete, I run towards my sanctuary before throwing the door open and running inside. I run through one more door and proceed to lock it tight. Finally, after all of my hardships and struggles, I can sit down and rest. My worries wash away like sand on a riverbank. All the desperation and fear are replaced with bliss, as I am finally able to be at peace. Even if just barely, I have managed to get to the bathroom in time.