The Great Blue | Teen Ink

The Great Blue

January 20, 2022
By maxknuth SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
maxknuth SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I looked up… only to see the flames of wreckage filling the sky. What caused the crash I wondered “maybe a bird” I laughed as I tried to calm myself and get a grip on what was going on. “SPLASH” a huge jet engine plunged into the frozen depths. Floating nearby was an orange-looking box with a handle that said pull to inflate. I assumed it was an inflatable raft and to my surprise I was right. After pulling myself onto the raft, the thought of supplies came to mind as more debris fell from the sky. Quickly I started using my hands to padel over to suitcases floating in the water. The first one had some chocolate and clean clothing, the second one had a 3.4 Oz container of liquor and a tin can. 

I was getting exhausted from paddling around for so long, so I sat back and relaxed, after about what felt like hours the burning wreckage sank but the fire only got bigger and bigger. I thought that was impossible but then I realized the fuel from the plane engines must have leaked into the ocean and caught fire. Frantically and desperately I jumped to the side of the raft to try and paddle away from the oil-infested water. After a while I looked down and saw no oil but looked back and saw no flames and no plane, I was now at the mercy of the ocean.

Getting toward the middle of the cramped raft I laid my head down on the still rubber of the floor and closed my eyes. “Chirp Chirp Chirp” My eyes shot up with the speed of lightning, I got up slowly still exhausted with numb arms from paddling. “Birds BIRDS” I yelled as I got up and ran to the beach, I fell to my hands and knees and kissed the beautiful sand. Feeling the sand on my hands and the warm inviting sun on my face almost felt like home. I looked around to get my bearings of where I was. It looked like a small island with a mountain that looked uncomfortably like it had a skull carved into it. 

“ROAR” intense shaking came from the trees as a large lizard immerged “WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT” I screamed as the creature with huge hind legs and short stubby arms ran towards me, I turned and sprinted for a small looking cave in a rocky hill. I threw myself into the small indent in the rock as the lizard ran by and shook the ground. How is that even possible? I thought to myself, that was a T-rex.


The author's comments:

The little story takes place after a plane crash in the ocean with a character that finds his way to a mysterious island with creature from millions a years ago.