The Shocking Box | Teen Ink

The Shocking Box

By scanatella BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
scanatella BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

Every morning, I walk to school with Ella, my best friend, but something about this morning was different. When I walked out of my house, I tripped over a box which was on my porch, ugh! I had time before school so Ella and I went inside to open the box. From the outside of the box, it looked simple and mediocre, except for there was no shipping address. The box was extremely hard to open, but once I opened it we were shocked at what was inside. Inside the box lay all of my sister's belongings who went missing almost a year ago. We investigated the box very carefully trying to find a shipping address, but we did not find anything until I found my sister's old diary. I decided to look through her diary to see if there were any recent entries but all I found was a location, 38° N, 119° W. Ella looked up the location on her phone and told me it was Chemung Mine, a place that is known to be haunted. We spent a long time deciding what to do, should we tell someone or just keep it to ourselves. We did not realize all the time that went by until Ella checked the clock in the kitchen. It was already 1:00! Everyone was at school and would be coming home soon. We had a dilemma: should we go to Chemung Mine today or tomorrow. Ella and I thought hiding the box would be the best choice, so I put it under my bed. When my mom came home from work, she was irate that we skipped school and admonished me for hours. I kept telling my mom school was about to be dismissed for summer break but that only led to a bigger altercation. Since she was so mad, we decided to go tomorrow. In the morning, right after my mom left for work, Ella and I decided to go to the location so we would have enough time. Chemung Mine was not far from my house, so we rode our bikes. We were extremely scared to go inside, but I knew we had to. We walked in and did some exploring, but we could not find anything and were about to leave until we saw a hole. When I looked down to see what was in the hole, I could not believe what I saw, it was my sister’s body lying there lifeless. We were so frightened that we ran outside of the mine, got on our bikes, and went straight home. Ella and I were speechless and did not know what to say, so we chose not to tell anyone about what happened. I put the box of my sister’s belongings from under my bed to the top of my closet behind many things and we never spoke about what happened again.

I am a student at Mount Carmel Academy, and I wrote this piece for an English assignment. 

living-dead-girl-666 PLATINUM, Coffeyville, Kansas

The roses are wilted
The violets are dead
The demons run circles
Round and round inside my head

Imagine finding your dead sisters body who has been missing for awhile and not telling anyone