The Handprints | Teen Ink

The Handprints

By fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky
fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

“I can see you,” a low growl stabs through the thin line of silence, “smell you.” A sharp scratching sound that can make ears bleed drowns the room. The figure is blurred behind the frosted glass. She’s panting, heartbeat clogging her ears from even the voice taunting her.

Hands are shaking, her abdomen twisting and turning once the figure behind the glass pulls away and vanishes temporarily. She almost falls to the ground, a yelp forced out of her mouth as the figure reappears, suddenly much more aggressive than before. Fists slam against the glass, a crack quickly appearing in the glass. She’s frozen, terrified yet curiosity gluing her to the ground. “Foolish!” the voice, deeper and raspier than the coaxing voice before.

Her stomach drops, and she bolts to the door at the end of the hallway. She can hear shattered glass hit the floor as her squeaky shoes slide against the ground. “Come back, you’ve tried this before and failed. It’s useless.” This doesn’t stop her as she runs around the corner towards the back door.

“Stay away from me!” Her voice is shaking, it hurts to yell but she can’t help it. She misses the door by a second, even an inch before a hand grips her neck and shoves her onto the ground with inhuman force.

The monster is dark, a shadow, a figure of fear. “I was patient. You tricked me.” The silhouette has claws, sharpened nails as sharp as its teeth. She’s shaking her head, the confined tears finding their way down her cheeks. The monster stepped forward, glowing eyes staring down at her. They were dark and horrid. She could see them as if the monster spoke to her using only his eyes.

“I didn’t trick you, it wasn’t my fault.” She’s hyperventilating, crab walking backwards from the monster standing before her. It steps forward, curling its nails in a malevolent manner. A sudden grin appears on the shadowed face. “Stay away!”

The monster launches forward, the human’s words meant nothing to it, neither did the human itself.