A Concept | Teen Ink

A Concept

By fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky
fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

“Blindness,” a voice coos to the wind. “It’s a concept of covering the eyes and not letting go, correct?” the voice continues, the wind twirling in anticipation. “Even you can be blind,” a pause. “You talk to me while the police are counting on you to show them the truth.” A flow of leaves twirl in a dramatic pattern before landing on a limb that sticks out of the ground, the wind continues brushing past. “Even the wind can be blind. What a wild concept.” The voice drops, and silence resonates.

The wind softly pushes gentle ripples into the lake surrounding the house. Sirens are heard in the background, yet they don’t get any closer.

There’s a splash of water and silence.

“You’ve taught me something,” the voice reappears, a snarky tone shattering the silence held before. “With a little help from the wind, direction can be flipped upside down and make something become entirely non-existent. Can cause blindness with a snap of two fingers.”  

Pause.

“What a wild concept.”