Truth be Told | Teen Ink

Truth be Told

June 17, 2014
By MnMpen SILVER, Kailua, Hawaii
MnMpen SILVER, Kailua, Hawaii
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss


HADLEY (preoccupied and in his own world)
Adkins top of the key running the offense. Around the screen a no look lob to his open teammate. Adkins cuts to the basket, gets the return pass goes for the fadeaway...and makes it! Adkins has won the state tournament for the Timberville Beavers! The crowd goes wild!
(laughs to himself)

(There’s a noise)

HADLEY
Hello? Anyone there?

ABBY (enters)
Just me, Hads

HADLEY (brightens up)
Hey! I should’ve known it was you, right one time. How was book club? Was it the usual? Nerds and papercuts?
(laughs)

ABBY (teasing)
Haha, very funny. They’re good people, you know. Maybe a little on the nerdy side, but at least I have friends who can read real books instead of playbooks.

HADLEY (teasing back)
Ouch. Hatin’ on the jocks much?
(passes her the basketball)

ABBY
(with a smirk) Mhm.

HADLEY
Put your stuff down. Let’s see if the bookworm can actually shoot!

ABBY
Okay, okay. Hold on. (passes the ball back to HADLEY)

HADLEY
Hurry up!

ABBY
Hadley…

HADLEY (turning around)
Yeah, what is it…

ABBY (whispering)
Look at this!

(HADLEY walks over to where she’s standing by the wall of the neighborhood youth center)

HADLEY (with a mixture of awe and horror)
Holy crap.

(A long pause of silence goes on)

ABBY (frustrated, voice thick with emotion)
Why would somebody do that? Especially to Mr. Kowalsky...Th-they have no right!

HADLEY (deep in thought)
Yeah. I guess… people do crazy s*** sometimes.

ABBY (appalled and upset)
We have to tell someone about this, right? We have to let them know! Someone could get hurt, Hadley. What if this psycho really means what he wrote?

(HADLEY suddenly goes back to shooting)
HADLEY
It’s not as bad as we think, Abby. People say racist s*** like that all the time and don’t actually do anything when it comes down to it. Just let it go, okay?

ABBY (suddenly)
No. I-I’m calling the police!
(takes out her phone)

HADLEY (stops what he’s doing)
Abby, don’t!

ABBY (shaken and talking to herself)
Calling the police- I’m calling the…

(HADLEY walks over and takes her phone while she is dialing)

ABBY (trying to reach for her phone)
Hey!

HADLEY (serious, voice turns soothing)
Look. No one is calling the police okay? We’re going to forget this ever happened, I’m going to give you your phone back, and then we’re both going to go home. Just let it go.

ABBY (incredulous and finally calmed down)
You’re telling me to “let it go” while there could be a dangerous person in Timberville plotting to kill people like Mr. Kowalski! You want me to just “let it go” like nothing happened? Well I’m not going to stand for this. I’m going to make sure no one gets hurt. What are you going to do? Let some racist jerk do whatever he wants at everyone’s expense?

HADLEY
You don’t know who this person could be, do you? What if he were your teacher, or my coach, or even our own family… They might have spraypainted a wall, but you want to ruin their reputation and cost them everything.

ABBY
I don’t know what’s gotten into you, you’re being ridiculous! I may not have known you my whole life, Hadley, but I know you well enough to see you’re a good person. People like you, admire you even. So how would you feel if someone did this to you? Would you care then?

HADLEY
Guys like this only hate people who are different from them, okay. I’m not different. People would have no reason to hate me, I don’t stand out, you know. Not like Mr. Kowalski, I mean. It’s obvious how much he doesn’t belong here; he talks different, he acts different. He was an easy target. Not like me. I’d never end up on a wall like that.

(a long silence passes again)

ABBY
You’re making it sound like it was his fault that some racist used him as inspiration for his little art show?

HADLEY (tired)
All I’m saying is that I think we should leave it be. This doesn’t even involve us and already we’re arguing. Weren’t we just having a good time a minute ago? Now come on, let’s keep playing.

(HADLEY turns around and continues to shoot)

(ABBY sighs and they both take turns shooting around)

ABBY (trying to be subtle)
Hey, Hadley?

HADLEY (not really paying attention)
Yeah.

ABBY
Can I have my phone back now? I promise I won’t call…

HADLEY (thinks for a moment)
No. Not until I’m sure you won’t do something dumb like call the police.

ABBY
Really?! This is so--

HADLEY (interrupting)
So not happening, Abby.

ABBY (laughing, trying to lighten the mood)
Jeez. What, are you blood brothers with the neighborhood supremacist or something?

HADLEY (rolls his eyes)
Yeah, right. Always looking for the inside story, huh?

ABBY
I am a reporter in training aren’t I? The truth needs to be said and the public-

HADLEY
“needs to be heard” Thank you, Lois Lane.

(ABBY laughs)

ABBY
Hey, can I ask you something?

HADLEY
Depends what it is. But go ahead, shoot.

ABBY
Do you… dislike Mr. Kowalski or something?

HADLEY (stops for a moment, but then continues shooting)
Why would you say that?

ABBY
I don’t know, it’s just… I thought maybe that’s why you didn’t want to call the police or something. Because you wanted him to see the message.

HADLEY
No, it’s not that. I just... don’t want to be involved, ok? My family has been at it with the cops before and I want to give them a break from it. Law enforcement makes me nervous in general. (mock shudder and laughs)

ABBY
But if you called you’d be getting the chance to do something good, it’s not like you’d be handing yourself in right?

HADLEY
Look. Just because your dad is the sheriff doesn’t mean you can tell me what to do. I can make my own decisions.

ABBY (frustrated)
I wasn’t saying that. This has nothing to do with my dad. And you’re a jerk to bring him up because you know that he has nothing to do with this.

HADLEY
Yeah, yeah… Maybe I am, but that’s none of your business. Why are you asking me so many questions? If anything, I should be the one interrogating you here. Why do you care so much about one little corner of ink on some youth center wall? These things happen, you know. But it’s not like anyone is going to die.

ABBY
I think I should go, you can give me my phone later. I don’t care anymore.

HADLEY
C’mon Abby, wait! I’m sorry! I screwed up, okay? Please don’t leave.

ABBY (sighing)
Fine, fine. One condition: you’ll have to hear me out. It’s the least you can do for acting like a jackass, no offense.

(HADLEY nods)

ABBY
Okay. Just promise you won’t tell anyone?

HADLEY (slightly concerned)
You know I won’t, Abby. Now spill. I’m listening.

ABBY
My father didn't want to become sheriff because of “patriotism” or “love of the job”. It was actually out of guilt. About 18 years ago, back when he lived in the city, he was pretty low on the law enforcement totem pole. He used to check parking meters. Anyway, a friend of his who also worked the meters fell sick and couldn't go to work that day, so my father decided to fill in for him on the next block over. That day must have been the worst day of his life. I wish I would have been there, but I wasn't even born yet, only my brother was, he was only a few months old. The story goes that that day, when my father got home, he found my grandfather dead in their apartment. The place was trashed and there were hateful things written on the walls. You see, my grandfather, back when he was alive, was a religious man. Always going to church and praying whenever he had the chance. He was a survivor of the Holocaust, but he always held on to his faith, even when people threatened to kill him for his religion. And eventually they did. That day. The day my father filled in for a sick man, and came home to a dead man. All because he was Jewish.

HADLEY (shocked)
Wow.

ABBY (sad)
I know right. Who would do something like that? It makes me sick to think about it.

HADLEY
Yeah, and you never mentioned you were Jewish.

ABBY
Oh, I guess you’re right. I just never really thought about it until now. I never met my grandpa but I feel connected to him, especially after today.

HADLEY (goes back to shooting)
Oh okay, that’s cool.

ABBY stops for a moment, and then finally decides to say something.

ABBY
Be honest. Are you alright? You’ve been acting strange today. Well, that’s an understatement actually…

HADLEY
No I’m not, I’m just a little surprised is all. This kind of thing doesn’t happen every day, especially in Timberville.

ABBY (exasperated)
There you go again…

HADLEY (stops)
What?

ABBY
Making this seem like no big deal! What is up with you? You’re always willing to help out your friends whenever they’re in trouble. I know we don’t know him that well, but why wouldn’t you do the same for Mr. Kowalski?

HADLEY (getting upset)
Because it’s not my problem! I’m always there for you, right? You know I would never want to hurt you, Abby. I’m just trying not to get involved. I- I don’t like any of this, I mean it’s not like I wanted it to happen, but I don’t want people asking all these questions like we had something to do with it. Especially with your dad being the sheriff and all. No offense.

Abby
None taken. But what would make you think that? People trust you, Hads. I think it’s your turn to trust them now. To trust and believe that they see the same honest and good person I see in front of me.

HADLEY
Thanks. That’s nice to hear. I know I was acting like a dick earlier. I’ve just been pretty confused after my mom died. Sad mostly, and a little mad at life in general, but mostly confused. It sucks.

ABBY
Yeah, I remember that was hard for you. But we stuck through it together, right? I was there for you, and still am. What did you mean when you said that you were mad at life? Are you mad at me?

HADLEY
No, no. I just… It’s hard to explain. I guess I hate how things just... keep going.

ABBY
What do you mean?

HADLEY
I just hate how life goes on, how s*** happens and this world continues to spin on like nothing happened. LIke no one is gone. Like my mom died and no one noticed.

ABBY (gives him a hug)
Hadley, we all noticed. Your mom was a wonderful woman, and we miss her. But the world keeps spinning because that’s the natural order of things. Life, death. We live, we die, and then someone takes our place. It’s the legacy we leave behind that matters, the lives we touch, and your mom helped a lot of people. That’s the good thing about being in a small town. Everyone knows each other’s business, which means that not only are they nosey, but more importantly, they care about you. I care about you.

HADLEY
Me too, you’re one of the best friends I’ve had, even though you’re a girl. (laughs)

ABBY (rolls her eyes)
Haha.

HADLEY
Well. Now all that feelings crap is done with, it’s time I beat you in a little 1 on 1!

ABBY
Boys. Always avoiding their emotions.

HADLEY
What’s that? I didn’t hear you over the sound of my fans.
(mocks talking to fans) Thank you ladies, thank you. You are too kind. Why yes I do know I’m the best basketball player ever, but thanks for reminding me.

ABBY
Someone out to teach you a lesson, Adkins.

HADLEY
I’d like to see you try, Jennings.

(SOUND: phone rings)

HADLEY
Is that your phone or mine?

ABBY (drily)
I don’t know. You have all of them.

HADLEY
Oh, right. Here’s your phone back.

(throws her phone)

ABBY
Jeez! Be careful, that phone cost me my months of allowance.

HADLEY (talking into phone)
Hello?

Dad, is that you?

Yeah, I’m here, why?

What are you talking about, I come here everyday. You didn’t know that?

Well, I’ll be home in about an hour.

Slow down, I can’t understand you.

Did you stop by Tom’s again, you sound like you had a few at the bar.
Where are you? Do you need me to pick you up? I can bring the car?

Dad, no! Don’t do anything, we’ll be right over.

Yeah, I’m with Abby.

Is there a problem with that?

Dad, we’re not leaving! You’ve been drinking and I’m going to pick you up, just stay there!

What? No. No you didn’t.

You didn’t.

Dad, listen to me, don’t say that! No! Don’t talk to anyone, you’re just drunk. I’m picking you up.

Stay there. Bye.


ABBY (scared)
What was that? Is your dad in trouble?

HADLEY
It’s nothing, he’ll be fine.

ABBY
Hadley, talk to me. I can help.

HADLEY
I don’t think you can help this time. He says he’s in deep, and that he did something while he was drinking but he doesn’t remember what.

ABBY (whispering)
Like, he slept with someone?

HADLEY
Christ! Of course not! I think he did something else. He’s not a happy drunk if you know what I mean, and Dad hasn’t done too well since Mom died. He’s always picking fights, you know? Every now and then it’s like he has to let all his grief out. Everybody needs an outlet, I guess. For me it’s basketball, for him it’s the bottle. He used to do the same when we lived in ‘Bama. Drink his troubles away. But it wasn’t as bad as now.

ABBY
Thank God you’re okay, and that he’s kept it quiet for so long. I don’t know what I’d do if my dad found out.

HADLEY
Neither would I. So don’t tell him, please Abby. He’ll get over this soon, but if they throw him in jail I’m shipped off to foster care. So just do me this favor. He’ll be fine soon, you’ll see.

ABBY
Alright. But I don’t think I can keep this from him for long. I mean, it’s his job.

HADLEY
Right, I got it, don’t worry it’ll all be over soon. I can handle it. By the way, when we pick him up, don’t listen to him okay? He uh, talks crazy when he’s drunk. You know what it’s like.

ABBY (trying to lighten the mood, laughing)
Oh yeah, like that time he said your grandfather was in the KKK?

HADLEY
Yeah. Like that.

(HADLEY and ABBY exit)


The author's comments:
This was the first play I ever wrote. I hope you all see the deeper meaning/motivations of my characters. Feedback is appreciated. :)