Candy Awareness | Teen Ink

Candy Awareness

By schan GOLD, Taipei, Other
schan GOLD, Taipei, Other

“Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.”
-Michel de Montaigne

CANDY AWARENESS

EXT. OF A SHADY ALLEY WAY NEAR A DENSLY POPULATED NIGHT CLUB

A friendly voice starts to narrate the scene. The voice is of an English man, perhaps from his mid 20s to mid 30s.
NARRATOR
Martin, a promising young lad is the protagonist of our story.
He is captain of the football team, debate team, and the student body president. Honestly speaking, it’s hard to imagine how he can cope with all the commitments. For this reason, he decides joins his friends in the newest club, “Pop Rocks.”

MARTIN, a charming, yet intelligent looking boy enters from the right, wearing a decent polo shirt and jeans paired with brown shoes from Nike. His hair is gelled up so much; he looks like someone from “Grease.” He obviously doesn’t know how to dress for a club.

NARRATOR
It’s Martin’s first time in the night scene, so he’s fairly nervous when he flashes his fake ID at the rugged looking bouncer whose about 5 times his size. Anxiously, he rushes into meet his best friend, Riley.

IN. OF POORLY DECORATED NIGHT CLUB

There are neon signs all over the painted black brick walls, along with many other misfits and hooligans wearing provocative wear, savagely dancing together to the upbeat tempo of the music that is blasting from the speakers. There’s DJ who is throwing M&Ms into the audience.

RILEY comes from the left, dancing along with all the other people in the club. He notices Martin’s entrance, and notions for him to come over. He cannot walk straight, and is bumping into the walls. Riley yells to him with a slurred voice in the middle of the dance floor.

RILEY
(drunkenly)
Martin! Whassup man? You want some

Riley looks from side to side, and then whispers loudly.

RILEY
Lollipops?

Riley starts to chortle stupidly as he takes out from his back pocket, 3 little sticks that have large circular plastic-like substances that are assorted colors. Martin looks at them bewilderingly, and starts to reach out his hand.

MARTIN
Uncertainly
Are these,

He pauses as if he’s thinking really hard about a decision.

Candies?

Riley looks at him with an eye-roll. Martin suddenly notices that everyone is drinking soda and eating candy.

RILEY
No doubt mahn. You need some a sugar to have a good time!

Martin feels the lollipop in his hands. He holds the plastic end and stares it straight in the eye, as if it was staring back at him. A moment of weakness takes over, and he shoves it in his mouth.
NARRATOR
Martin, never having taken lollipops before, or any type of candy for that matter, takes it, not knowing the mayhem it would soon cause. He decides to pick the red one, because it reminds him of the apple he had in the morning.

He cautiously unwraps the plastic coating of the lollipop. When his taste buds hit the surface of the lollipop, a euphoric sensation tingles throughout his whole body. He winces in pleasure, as the sweet artificial taste of cherry moves all around his mouth. The blaring music of a high-pitched Justin Bieber starts to wean out of earshot.

MARTIN
Thinking
So this is what it meant to “high.”

NARRATOR
Martin starts to forget the stress of having to organize the pep rally, or the late night football practices he has, and even the preparations for the next debate.

He then rams the other 2 lollipops into his mouth, and picks up some other candies from Riley’s backpack, which he spots near a stool. As his controlled facial expression slips into a goofy grin, Martin slumps down into a beanbag next to him, and starts to drink some soda. Riley notices the brand label on the soda can, “Mountain Dew.”

RILEY
Drunk but concerned
Whoa man…I can’t let you drink that! Thas some really hardcore stuff. I don’t think yur ready for it! Start easy or sumthin; like Sprite!

Riley grabs a green bottle nearby. He pours about half the can into the plastic cup that he had picked up from the ground seconds before. Martin impulsively takes it, and glugs the whole thing down.

MARTIN
In agony
GAH. WHY DOES IT BURN?

RILEY
You get used to it.

Martin starts to hiccup, and his face has become really red. His speech is starting to lack in precision as well.

MARTIN
WHOOOO! I’m having da TIME of my LIFE. *hiccup*
Martin’s vision is blurred, and eventually succumbs to complete darkness.

NARRATOR
Martin accidentally passed out a few moments later due to Glucose Overdose, a common symptom to those who have indulged in an excess amount of “candy.” Riley soon called 911, but then abandoned him, since he didn’t want to be caught partying underage.

Martin lies alone on a deserted dance floor, surrounded by colorful candy wrappers and countless cans, jugs, and glass bottles. PARAMEDIC #1 enters, and quickly starts CPR on a lifeless Martin. His body, as if it was a rag doll, is being pushed upon by the paramedics. Her voices get very panicky.

PARAMEDIC #1
Urgently
(@!$&. We’re losing him!

She yells to the van outside.

GET HIM ON THE CAR! HE NEEDS TO GET HIS STOMACH PUMPED ASAP.

Other people rush in as well, and strap Martin into the gurney inside the ambulance. The car drives off, and it’s siren screams throughout the empty streets.

INT. OF HOSPITAL ER.

A DOCTOR is taking out electrical shock panels.

DOCTOR
Loudly
CLEAR!

A flat line is heard. There are clinks of rustling machinery. Martin’s body jumps up as if there was a raccoon inside his chest trying to get out.

Raise it to 600! CLEAR

Martin’s body once again flings itself upwards. As single beat is heard, followed by a flat line. The doctor’s voice starts to become furious.
RAISE IT TOO 700! CLEAR
BEEP. A continuous tone of death follows. There’s complete silence. Martin’s body lies like a practice car crash dummy.

INT. OF A ROOM WITH A COMPLETELY WHITE BACKDROP

A man is standing in the middle of the scene. The NARRATOR starts to speak.

NARRATOR
This is the story of Martin Polisky, who died at age 17, from a GO (Glucose Overdose). He had such a promising future, and had the dream of going to Columbia college in New York to become a lawyer. But all those plans were painfully shut down, due to lenience on candy and soda.

GO is a leading cause in the deaths for people ages 14-23. Doing candy is a dangerous method that can potentially ruin your figure, and your health. If you have a friend, a family member who is suffering from SA (Sugar Addiction), please get them some help, or consult them, because it could become a life threatening condition. Soda Pop, although it can still be accessed to by people ages 20 and up, is very hazardous to the waistline, and is a leading cause in depression and obesity. Popping and driving causes 1,000,000 car crashes a year, since the user is overly hyper and drives straight into other objects.

So remember: Candy makes you crazy, and soda pop can make cars flop.
Take this as a lesson. If it’s too sweet, then don’t eat. You can save yourself, and others. Go to our website at www.sugarconcern.com for additional methods on how to overcome your SA.

The man’s image is blurred by a blinding light in the background that soon conquers the whole image.

THE END

A satire about candy and soda. I just hope you get it~

Hermione-Granger BRONZE, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
I love this, great job!

Funne GOLD said...
Funne GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams."

-H.P Lovecraft

Some people actually think Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is about drugs. The movie, not the book.

sunsetsandskies BRONZE, Cape Cod, Massachusetts

People who are crazy enough to believe they can change the worlds are usually the ones that do!

It was funny. Very creative!

. said...
AMAZING. I don't understand how anyone could dislike this. The way you used candy and soda as a simularity(idk if i spelled that right) to drugs and alcohol is amazing. This is my favorite, keep writing things like this . Very original :)