Fireleaf | Teen Ink

Fireleaf

March 25, 2009
By Andrea Witte SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
Andrea Witte SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
7 articles 2 photos 19 comments

The sunset of one of the few sunny days in Juneau was amazing and mesmerizing on the cliff right on the bay. I could see the seagulls flying and the water flowing. At the moment, I forgot that my vampire love of my life was supposed to be right next to me. I turned around. “Where was Ian?” I thought, worriedly. But there he was under one of the pine trees. I knew that the sun made it hard for him to control his thirst. “Ian come on! it’s so beautiful! Please?” I said
He replied, “Lyla come on! I can’t! I will hurt you!” With the pain in his voice, it was easy to tell that he did not want to hurt me but I could not control the way I felt. Just five years ago, my mom had died from cancer. My dad was feeling better because he had seen me actually happy.

Also my little sister, Sam, was having a great time with one of Ian’s sitters, named Claire she had been changed into a Kappa vampire when she was just fourteen! Though Ian’s “family” were Kappa vampires (they hunt in the water attracting live stock and other animals to feed on), there were precautions that had to be followed, such as avoiding sunlight.

Ian slowly sat down in the shadows refusing to come out. “God why did he have to be so gorgeous” I thought to myself. He had hard rock-like skin, brown luxurious hair, yellow cat-like eyes, and perfect muscles. He moved his hand rhythmically and one of the many boulders in front of him lifted from the ground. He moved it toward him until it was above his head.

He moved forward, the boulder moving with him. Keeping a shadow over him, he would not have to be in pain. He was by my side now. He cupped his hands around my head, leaning his face forward to kiss me. Just then, the boulder fell with incredible speed. Ian broke the kiss and slammed the boulder with his fist into the pine tree he had been sitting under. “Lost concentration” he whispered. But then he was on his knees, gasping in pain. The sun was shining directly on him. His hands were in tight fists. “Run!” was all he could say. I jumped up and ran though I was tripping and falling. Once I was far enough to be safe I flipped my phone out. I had no idea where I was but I new Claire, Hannah, and Raine ( Ian’s “sitters”) could find me. Raine’s number was on speed dial “Hello? Lyla?”
“Raine, get you sitters! You have to help me” I said.
“What’s wrong?” she asked suddenly serious.
“We were on the cliff and Ian came into the sun. He told me to run so I did and now I’m lost!”
“I’m on my way but where is Ian?”
“I don’t know” Then the line went dead. I could feel the darkness slowly creeping up on me. Wet moisture hit my head. The rain came down in a sheet of water. I ran for the nearest pine tree and huddled under the warm boughs. The boughs protected me from the cold rain. Lightening was now flashing in the sky. The thunder was just freaking out.

I knew it was very risky to be wet when there was lightening I took everything metal off and put it three feet away from me. What was taking them so long? I was so exhausted. The next thing I knew I was slipping into unconscious. It was all a blur. I felt strong arms pick me up yet I could hear Emma’s (Ian’s creator) motherly voice.
“You should have been more careful look at her Ian”
“I know. I’m sorry.”
“Don’t tell me that. Tell her!”
“I wish she would have just stayed lost.”
Of course Hannah’s voice was hateful toward me. It always was. I could hear Ian growl in the background. “I’m sorry” Ian’s voice was all I heard before I slipped into darkness.


I opened my eyes to a bright light. I was in nice, dry clothes I tried to sit up but a strong hand pushed me back down.
“Oh no, you don’t,” he said.
“What happened?” I asked him.
“Well my sisters came and got me first and they sent Emma to find you. Then I went to see if you were okay and you looked like someone beat you and left you in the middle of nowhere. There were cuts all over your legs arms and hands. Your hair had twigs and dirt in it and that was all,” he said. He saw me yawn.
“You need to go back to bed,” he said. Before I could argue he pushed me back with his hand. My eyes closed slowly and drifted into dreams.