The Gift | Teen Ink

The Gift

December 1, 2008
By Anonymous

Bang Bang Bang.

“Hurry up, May its 9 o’clock we’re going to be late,” my sister yelled up the stairs, as I yanked on my black dress.

“Coming,” I soared down the stairs, my hair flapping behind me. Rushing to the Honda and slamming the door. “I don’t see why I have to go,” I mumbled.

“May you would want June there if it was your…” my sister trailed off and a turned her attention back to the road.

Sighing I glanced out the window; the sky was grey and clouds where forming. It was drizzling as we pulled into the parking lots of a church so old there was dead moss and vines all over it. Behind it was a cemetery it glowed with death and grim. Shivers ran down my spine as I recalled that day, the day things went wrong.

It was September 4th. There was a nice breeze out blowing my hair back as I rode my bike to June’s house. When I got there we started to celebrate her birthday, there were cakes, streamers, and balloons everywhere when the party ended. After everyone left we stayed up and watched Jurassic Park. At midnight we turned out the lights and did a prayer for another good year. Something felt wrong as June said her prayer her words where a little slurred and her skin looked pale in the moon light. As she got up she stumbled as she walked to the sleeping bags. I convinced myself it only was because she was tried.

The next day as we walked to school June fell to the ground with a thud. I started hyperventilating as I dialed 911. The paramedics came and took June away.

After school I rushed to the hospital to see if June was okay. When I got there June’s mother was phasing out in the hall, chewing her nails. I silently sat down. The clock ticked, June’s mother’s foot steps echoed. The hour hand hit 4 and the doors flew open and the doctor marched out fallowed by a straight line of nurses.

“Mrs. Can I see you in my office?” the doctor asked.

June’s mother jumped in surprise like a child caught doing something bad, glanced toward the door and entered the office. The door slammed and I crept up and pressed my ear to the door.

“I have a conclusion,” The doctor exclaimed.

“We think she has cancer,” the nurse proclaimed in unison.

“What Kind?”

“Leukemia,” the doctor answered.

“I see,” June’s mother’s voice was barely a whisper now.

Suddenly a hand closed around my collar and jerked me back. I tilted my head and looked into the eyes of a nurse holding a gigantic file folder; she dragged me in the office.

“Excuse me doctor I found this girl spying on you.”

The doctor turn to June’s mother “Do you know her?”

“Yes let her stay.”

The nurse shoved me on an armchair and dropped the file folder on the desk and left. Opening the file folder the doctor continued “June’s cancer is in a very advanced state of development. If we don’t start treatment on her now she may die.”

“Okay, I will inform her.” June’s mother got up and left as she said this. I quickly scrambled up and fallowed her.

2 days later June’s treatment started. I was not able to visit often, June’s was too sick. After the treatment session ended June was no better. Every time I saw her she was sicker then before.

“May? MAY! Wake up!” a voice called. My mind slammed back to reality as water hit my face.

“Huh? What happened?”

“You were a sleep. Let’s go the ceremony already started.” My sister said as she tugged me toward the church, me whipping me face dry. We slid along the back row and sat down. The receptionist’s words where drowned as my train of thoughts started up again.

December 21st. It was snowing outside as I rode my bike home; I passed shop windows filled with lights and presents. When I got home I had a snack and tried to do my homework, after sometime I gave up throwing my papers on the ground and went to bed even though it was only 7.

Ring Ring

The phone sounded as I grabbed at my bed side table for it. I glanced at the clock, 11:30 pm, who on earth calls at this time? “Hello?”

“Um, May can you come to the hospital?” June’s mother asked sounding anxious.

“Sure.”

After I hung up I pulled on faded jeans and a grey sweatshirt, tiptoed down the stairs and wrote a note on the fridge. I almost froze as I ran outside to my bike; I climbed on and pulled out of the driveway. Luckily the hospital wasn’t far away. The street was dark as I rode down it; I saw nothing but dark trees swaying in the wind and the lone streetlight flicking on and off. As I turned the corner the light extinguished. I chained my bike up and burst into the hospital; I rushed to the elevator and plumbed the up bottom. The doors opened and I rushed to June’s room. I pounded on the door, but no one answered, I turning the knob and entered, empty. The covers on the bed where thrown off and the IV stand was on the ground.

“May? Is that you?” a voice called.

I spun around and saw it was June’s mother, her eyes red and holding a tissue in one hand. “What happened?” I demanded

“Come.” June’s mother exited the room and walked to elevator. WE went up to floors and as the doors slid open revealing a white hall with doors on either side.

“Where are we?” I asked.

“Isolation.” June’s mother turned and entered the door labeled 94. I gasped when I entered. We where on one side of a glass window on the other were lots of machines, heart monitors, and tubes and attached to a body. At a closer look the body was June’s.

“JUNE!!” I yelled

“She can’t hear you.”

“What Happened?”

“She got a fever and with the treatments her body’s immune system is down so she’s burning up. May, she could die…” June’s mother burst into tears.

I didn’t try to comfort her all I could do was look at June. Many hours passed. I stayed on the other side of the glass for 4 days. And on Christmas morning it happened. June’s breathing got ragged and at 9:40 am her chest heaved once, twice, three then stopped. Her body relaxed and June was gone.

“May, wake up!” my sister called. I jumped and awoke, the church was empty. “We have to go outside the burial is staring.”

We stood beside June’s grave; her tomb was laded and covered. Many people left after this was done; soon I was the only one there. Sighing I looked up and saw the graying sky but this time it had a tiny patch of blue. I felt better as I ran to my sister’s Honda I knew June was in a better place now, a place of no pain, and that’s the gift god give her.

Merry Christmas June…