The Vagabond Chapter 2: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How | Teen Ink

The Vagabond Chapter 2: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How

By uncomfortableBrunette SILVER, Lr. Sackville, Other
uncomfortableBrunette SILVER, Lr. Sackville, Other

I want to hate you half as much as i hate myself

Hot water washed over me. I looked around. I was in a shower. Surprised, I turned the water off, pushed the blue curtains away and stepped out of the large tub. Warm steam clouded the air, but was gone within seconds. Neatly folded clothes were laying on the smooth marble counter next to the bathtub. On top of the pile of clothes was a note saying, “To replace your soiled clothes.” I threw on the the baby blue shirt and the black jeans that had been kindly laid out for me. I looked in the foggy mirror that decorated the the pale green wall. A good looking, clean shaven face stared back. My new face was good looking, in a plain, scrawny sort of way. I ran my fingers through my dark brown hair. I watched it fall around my neck and curl under my ears.

I searched through my fuzzy brain, trying to remember how I had ended up in such an expensive bathroom. I remember being led down a long street by the brunette and suddenly being hit with a wave of nausea. My ears were ringing and my eyes blinded with white lights. I couldn’t remember much after that. I shook my head, trying to focus. With a tired sigh I pushed open the bathroom door and stepped into a long hall lined with photographs, certificates and trophies. As I reached the end of the hallway I was greeted by a short middle aged man, a women with bomb shell blond hair and the brunette from earlier.

“How are you doing?” the women asked, laying a manicured hand on my damp shoulder. “Are you feeling better?” She reached up and felt my forehead.

“I'm feeling much better, thank you.” I said with a quick cough.
The brunette shifted her weight from one foot to the other. “Good! I thought you were going crazy! Talkin' about time travel and a new body! It was ridicules! I mean seriously! Time travel! Please!” the pretty brunette exclaimed, pursing her lips.
The middle aged man frowned at her. “Be nice,” he said softly. “This young gentleman is our guest.” The brunette rolled her eyes and sighed.
“I'm Owl Ross, by the way,” I said, grinning and putting out my hand.
“I'm Valerie-Grace Smith, and these are my parents, West and Catherine.” She gripped my hand and smiled. I studied her face. She had a thin pointed nose and high cheek bones. Her skin was creamy and flawless and her smile wide and sweet. As I shook her hand I realized something wasn't right.

“Where's my lab coat?” I asked, finally noticing that my beloved white coat was gone. I had been through so much with that coat! World War One, the moon landing, the discovery of Canada! And this one time I was mistaken as an Acadian in the seventeen hundreds and was shipped off to Louisiana. Met a guy named Stephan there. He was nice. Took me in and fed me fish. Who can say no to that?

“It's in the wash dear.” Catherine explained. I nodded and bit my bottom lip.

“We have to go to work, do you think you guys can take care of yourselves?” West asked, throwing on a black sports coat.
“Yeah, we'll be fine!” Valerie-Grace reassured him.
“Okay! We're off!” Catherine called, waving.

And they were gone like a flash. Valerie-Grace turned quickly to me and looked straight into my eyes. “Just who and what are you?” she demanded.
“Well, I'm human, if you haven’t already figured that out. My name is Owl Smith but most people call me crazy, weird or honey stay away from that man on the street. Does that answer your question?”

She shook her head unsatisfied. “Who are you really? I know you're human. That’s pretty obvious. You seem perfectly normal, but you act, I dunno, different. And you were talkin' about time travel! Time travel isn't real!”

“Of course it's not real!” I exclaimed. “Not in this year at least. Wait until the year twenty-twenty one.”

Valerie-Grace rolled her eyes. “I want to know who you are!”
I grinned wickedly. “You'd better brace yourself!”

This is the second chapter of my novel The Vagabond. Yay! Some questions get asked, and qustions get answered!.... Sort of. I hope you enjoy and I hope you like it just as much, or even better than the first chapter!

Yeah. My mom read through it before it went online, and missed a few little errors. I really hope you enjoy the third chapter when it goes online!

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Good read, though I still think the first chapter topped it :) I think you used "women" when you meant "woman" a few times, but that's the only major thing.  I find it a little hard to believe that Valerie-Grace's parents would be ok leaving her alone with a strange man, but whatever :S hope you write more!

Thank you again for the feedback! I will try my best to get the third chapter up as soon as possible! Thank you again and again! (:

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

This is AWESOME!!! my favorite part...“Well, I'm human, if you haven’t already figured that out. My name is Owl Smith but most people call me crazy, weird or honey stay away from that man on the street. Does that answer your question?” I just died laughing, because that is sooo what people sday to me lol. Great job! PLEASE CONTINUEEEE!!

That was a mistake! I didn't realize it! Thank you for pointing it ou! And thank you for the feedback!

WinterRose76 SILVER, Ok., Florida

Arise and be all that you dream - Flyleaf

Chapter two certainly doesn't disappoint! I like that your descriptions about Owl are more detailed, and that you explain some things from chapter one. I noticed you said his name was Owl Ross, and then changed it to Owl Smith later on. Was that just a mistake, or did you mean to do that? Anyway, I look forward to reading more chapters!

That comment just made my day! Thank you so much! I will make sure to upload the third chapter as soon as possible! (:

Z.V.Oksana PLATINUM, Harrison, Arkansas

“Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through you fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know.”
― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall

"My name is Owl Smith but most people call me crazy, weird or honey stay away from that man on the street. " Hahahah, I love it. Can't wait to read the next chapter. I thought this was really good, and now, I'm certainly waiting in anticipation :)

Oh yeah <3 Colin!!!! I really like watching Arthurs fighting scenes! So AWESOME!!!! My personality type is more like Merlin, you can imagine my bouncing up and down excitement :P Just started watching the series about a month ago, not yet finished watching all of the episodes, but it's just so AWESOME :D The BBC version of Robin Hood is really cool too 

Yeah. I'm a geek too. Merlin is so good! Colin Morgans has wonderful cheek bones! So does Benedict Cumberbatch (The voice of Smaug for the Hobbit.).

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!  I looked at your profile cause I wanted to read the first chapter and I saw you like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and MERLIN!!!!!!! :D AWESOME. (yes I'm weird that way ;)

Thanks for the feedback! The reason he might have seemed to rush it was because wanted it to seem like he knew she had potential. He knew they would become fast friends. I will try to fix that though! Thanks again!

Really nice writing style :) I write a lot of fiction but I have only posted Nonfiction on Teenink. Like the plot so far and very nice descriptions of the characters, though if I was the main character I wouldn't really trust anybody with the knowledge of time travel. He seems to eager to tell Valerie making in come off as a little to rushed. But other then that it seems like a good read :D

Thank you! I'll make sure to put the third chapter on as sone as I finish revising it! (:

HudaZav SILVER said...
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

Omg you really did well capturing my attention from the first line. Can't wait to find out what happens next =)

Thank you! His back story was actually the first thing  thought of when coming up with this story. Thank you for your feedback! It really helps me improve my work! Thank you again! (:

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

It's really good, interesting concept! I've read some about time travel, but I've never seen it quite like this. Can't wait to read more about this guy's background:)

Thanks! You are the first person to comment on here and it makes me really happy! When I upload the third chapter I would like to know what you think of it. Although I won't be uploading it for awhile.... Thanks again for your feedback!

WOWriting SILVER, Broadstairs, Other
Like the story line :) it's interesting and each chapter kind of draws u in. Really original :)