Witch Study | Teen Ink

Witch Study

By JustinwithaV GOLD, Belleville, New Jersey
JustinwithaV GOLD, Belleville, New Jersey

"As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again."
-Scarlett O'Hara

“If I didn’t do something soon,” Donna Prow thought fearfully, “I was going to have a catastrophe on my hands.”

It was another failed attempt at studying for Donna Prow. Her original plan was to open a portal to the Fairy Dimension since it was going to be on her Incantatory Exam. Donna was a highly skillful witch when it came to her regular test. However when it came to finals, Donna would become frenetic and never score an A. This was her final year in Selenium Witchery Academy and she knew in order to become a student at the Solaris Witch Institute, Donna needed to perfect her Summonance spells.

“Looks like I’m screwed,” Donna expressed sadly. “Ms. Farrah won’t give me my recommendation now.”

While Donna may have been a nervous witch during finals, she was still able to produce a solid B+ for each exam. The only thing she consistently failed was her Summonance Exam. All her teachers would have written excellent recommendation letters for Donna, all except for Ms. Farrah. Ms. Farrah, for all of the four years Donna had her for Summonance Class, had always been tough on Donna. Ms. Farrah never cared that Donna was nervous or frantic during an exam. As cruel as it seemed, Ms. Farrah would only chastised Donna for being extremely anxious.

While Donna was annoyed with Ms. Farrah, she knew a recommendation letter from Ms. Farrah would mean an automatic acceptance. Former students of Ms. Farrah who asked and actually received a letter from her would immediately be accepted into the Solaris Witch Institute.

Donna, with that knowledge in mind, was even more motivated to pass the Incantatory Exam. Ms. Farrah promised Donna a shining recommendation letter if Donna passed her Summonance Exam with an A.

Unfortunately, her Summonance studying did not go as planned. Instead of opening the Fairy Dimension, Donna accidently opened a portal to the Black Man’s dwelling. Donna quickly realized it was mistake with her ingredients that caused the portal to open. In a state of frenzy and stress, Donna had used the eyes of a crow instead of the eyes of newt.

“I’m such a freaking idiot!” Donna chastised herself. “How the hell did I get ‘crow’ from ‘newt?!’”

Donna moved quickly. She knew if the dimension stayed open any longer, the demons would be able to enter her world. Donna rummaged through her chest of ingredients, scanning each bottle and tossing them away. It took her a couple minutes to find the vials she needed; one was a crystal, sapphire bottle labeled ‘Talon of Eagle’ and the other was an emerald bottle labeled ‘Serpent Venom.’ Donna poured both ingredients in her wooden bowl and grounded the ingredients with the pestle. After both were crushed into a beige mixture, Donna took her tiny bowl and threw the liquid on to the portal. She chanted under her breath and the portal began to close.
Donna let out a deep sigh and closed her spell book. She looked at her clock and saw it was already three in the morning. She crawled into bed and blew out her candle.

“Might as well practice tomorrow during lunch,” Donna said to herself. “I’ll at least have Ms. Leah supervising me.”

I wanted to write about a witch.