Horror in the Night | Teen Ink

Horror in the Night

October 30, 2012
By LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other
LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other
45 articles 1 photo 198 comments

Favorite Quote:
Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.


No child likes the night.
There are three reasons for this.
One is the dark. Fear of the unknown, the unseen.
Two is being alone. Fear of isolation.
And finally, the one that no-one remembers, nightmares. Fear of the worst.
Imagine if all these things haunted you, every night until death claimed you at last.

1962:

Three teenage girls giggled quietly in the night air as they rushed down the road in the dead of night.
“Shh!”
“Be quiet!”
Snap!
“Who was that?”
“It was me, now keep moving!”
Annie, Mary and Laura ran through the gates and into their school.
To this day, Mary didn’t know why the gates, which were usually sealed shut, were wide open at midnight during the summer holidays. Full of adrenaline, none of them thought about it at the time.
“Have you got everything?” Annie whispered to her friends.
“The Ouija board, spare clothes, flashlight, candles, all here,” Laura breathed back in excitement.
They ran simultaneously up to the door, which as expected, was locked.
“The back window, come on!” Annie hissed.
Mary and Laura exchanged nervous glances and followed. The window was frail, and the frame could easily be pushed back gently, making enough room for a person to fit through.
One by one, the girls climbed into something that would change their lives.
“Let’s get the board out,” Annie grinned.
“I…I don’t know if this is a good idea…what if something happens…” Mary muttered, unable to look Annie in the eye. Despite Mary’s lack of enthusiasm, Laura continued to take out the Ouija board.
“That’s the point, of course! We’re supposed to contact the DEAD!” Annie answered impatiently.
Mary flinched. “But…”
“No buts. We got here; we’re not turning back now.”
The board was placed between the three now, eerily illuminated with the flicker of the candles that Laura was lighting. Annie held the pointer in both of her hands and slowly placed it down in the centre of the board. Annie, Mary and Laura placed one finger on each point of the triangle.
“Is anyone there?” Annie whispered, her voice tinged with fear, replacing the confidence that had been there minutes ago.
YES.
“What’s your name?”
T-H-O-M-A-S.
“Are you good or evil?”

GOOD.
“Is someone pushing this?”
“Not me… I thought it was you…”
“Wait, look.”
I-A-M-G-O-O-D-A-T-B-E-I-N-G-E-V-I-L.
A scream echoed through the building and the candles blew out, a sudden burst of wind whistling through the window. All three of the girls were paralyzed, unable to move, fingers still stuck to the pointer. Another scream. This time, their fingers jerked from the board and they were flung back into three corners of the room.
Laura and Annie slump over, their necks hanging loosely from their bodies.
Their eyes wide open.
Mouths dropped slightly, as though screaming silently.
Forever.
Mary, the only survivor, now has to bear the consequences of the dark spirits, always haunted by the deaths of her two best friends.

A prisoner of the night.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for a school writing competition, although I didn't win, I really enjoyed writing this story. I have a massive fascination with Ouija Boards, but I'm not planning on trying one, and I wouldn't advise you to either.