Divinity | Teen Ink

Divinity

By WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other
WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other

If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson

I run through the cold, shadowy depths of the forest. The trees howl in fear. I hear a loud groan utter in the far distance. I have to get far away as possible. My strange body runs into an open field. The blades of grass sway in the breeze as many orbs of lights fly off into the air. They are shaped like the glowing light in my chest.

The field is a strange place. The tiny spheres sail in front of my face. They move on their own and are as bright as the suns. I stretch my hands to touch one, wanting to know what they are and what they do. It passes through my large palms; a countless number of them are far beyond my reach. It is no surprise. I am an ordinary being with a forgotten past. I am a being whose existence counts on a single orb, hanging in my chest.

My iron bucket head slowly rusts away. My hands are abnormally large as my head. I still remember the girl living all alone in an empty world. She builds me up out of piles of junk, and breathes life into me with a single ball of brightness. I have the strength to live and fulfill a wish of hers. The sparkling necklace is a memento from her and a gift for someone special. I vow that I would return and save her from that dark world.

I take a rest. I have been running for ages now and it feels like an eternity since I left that world. Grey clouds invade the sky. A drizzle of rain falls on my head, tapping noises resound against it. I have to find cover or I will rust.
Then, I hear the sound of digging. I look around to find an old man digging holes into the ground. He has a rusting metal shovel in his hand and a bouquet of bright yellow flowers in the other. It seems he is planting them in the field, but why?

I cautiously make my way towards him. Suddenly, his shovel hits my arm with a loud SHWACK!

“Whoopsies!” he says. “Didn’t see you there partner.”

Partner? Who is this man? Why is he here?

“You best find some cover young’un,” he continues, “rain won’t stop for a while now.”

The man is covered in dirt and grime. His callused hands indicate he has been working for some time now. His teeth are yellow and crooked - some are missing or broken. It looks like he hasn’t eaten in some time.

As I turn to leave, he says, “Hey! What you got in yer chest? I think I felt it before.”

He opens my chest, revealing a blinding light that shoots him in the eye. It radiates a warm sensation that makes the man smile in joy.

“Tarnations! You have one of them orbs inside you. You’re one of them Maker’s creations ain’t ya? She makes stuff like you out of whatever stuff she can find and lets them loose into the world.”

Did the girl known as Maker really build me for that purpose? I wonder what kind of powers she has and why she entrusted me with the orb and necklace. Am I just a tool for her selfish purposes? I hope not.

“Well. Best be off now,” the man says. “If you ever meet her again, send my regards, ya hear?”

With a flash, he is gone. I sit on the soft bed of grass, staring at a glowing blue sky. The orbs of lights float past me, each of different colour and shape. For some reason, my body is light and I feel something strange in my chest. I open it to find my light shining more brightly than usual. It must have been happy to see so many like it.

I wonder what these balls of light are. Are they a connection to a being’s heart and emotions? A spark of life? Or something from another world? I didn’t know why I feel this way and I couldn’t help but gaze at them for a long time.

Finally, I stand and move around a bit. It seems the rustiness has escaped my body. As I walk, two bright orbs flash before my eyes. They are a marvelous sight to see. I slide down a high green hill, overlooking small buildings clustered in clandestine. I continue my long journey of life, into a forgotten frontier.

Sequel to my other short story "Creation". For those of you who might be lost, refer to that story. Please comment and give feedback and tell me if this deserves another sequel.

augustsun02 SILVER, Hamburg, New Jersey

Write. It doesn't matter if you're overjoyed, furious, miserable, or what. Write to keep those emotions in check while managing to grow stronger.

*sad eyes* Oh... it's over.... *sees that there's another sequel* YAY!! :D Yep, this is what I do on my Friday mornings. I get excited over stories I'm reading. Anywho, this is also fantabulous (not a real word, but I don't care). I cannot wait to read the next sequel! Fantastic job! :)

- Richard Matheson

There's another sequel called "Sanctuary" I have on teen Ink. There will be another sequel after that, but it may be my last one (for now). Stop by my forum "The writer's Spot" if you have anything you would like looked at.  

TouchOfARose SILVER, Winter Garden, Florida

"We all have ability. The difference is how we use it." -Stevie Wonder

The imagery in this is so detailed and vivid. I love the reflections of the protagonist as he revels in the new things discovered, and in this whole new world. Again, I absolutely enjoy reading your work. It's always fresh and unique, with quirky little components and twists in it.

I hope you continue to write more about Maker and her creations. I liked the development in this sequel, but I wish we could know more about the Maker. (:

- Richard Matheson

you might want to check my first story, Creation, then read my third sequel, Sanctuary. They are really great stories and i'm writing more in the future.

Daesha SILVER said...
Daesha SILVER, Dalby, Other

Everything happens for a reason

This is absoluetly amazing, you have such great talent, I look forward to reading more of your work

- Richard Matheson

It'll be on soon. Just need to do some edits and it'll be done.

writer_girl SILVER, Stuart, Virginia
I love it! You are truly a gifted writer! I can't wait for the next story!

TTTeeSS GOLD said...
TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado

There is no such thing as nothing, yet there is such thing as nothing, simply because there is nothing such as nothing.

These stories have both been an amazing take on Creation and why we are here, even if they haven't necessarily been about human kind. Very interested.

- Richard Matheson

Thanks! The sequel for this might answer more of your questions. Hope for you to read it soon.

jackiee129 PLATINUM, Kent, Connecticut

"It makes me happy when I see teenage girls who clearly don't fit in, gives me hope that the future might still have personality" - Haley Williams

“You are not your bra-size, nor are you the width of your waist, nor are you the slenderness of your calves. You are not your hair color, your skin color, nor are you a shade of lipstick. Your shoe-size is of no consequence. You are not defined by the amount of attention you get from males, females, or any combination thereof. You are not the number of sit-ups you can do, nor are you the number of calories in a day. You are not your mustache. You are not the hair on your legs. You are not a little red dress. You are no amalgam of these things. You are the content of your character. You are the ambitions that drive you. You are the goals that you set. You are the things that you laugh at and the words that you say. You are the thoughts you think and the things you wonder. You are beautiful and desirable not for the clique you attend, but for the spark of life within you that compels you to make your life a full and meaningful one. You are beautiful not for the shape of the vessel, but for the volume of the soul it carries.”

great sequel. I like how we were given more insight into "Creation", but I think a ltitle more explination on the Maker and what she does would have been nice. Also, how did the old man know what was in his chest?
I love the detail and the mystical feel both these pieces have. The sentences are simply but full of the right details. I especially like the use of rust throughout this piece. Can't wait to read more!

ShadowRealms said...
Will do:) if you ever become proffessional, let me know so I can buy your stuff:D

- Richard Matheson

thank you so much. I have something new online, so its been kind of crazy these 24 hours. Please read my new story, "The Scholarship" and tell me what you think. I have a pretty good feeling you might enjoy it. 

ShadowRealms said...
Oh! :D LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED!!! Your description is the best I've ever seen in my life, and I love how the robot posseses an almost insatiable curiousity for everything around him, also, it's so determined to get back to her. You are by far my favorite author on here:D