Half-Heart | Teen Ink

Half-Heart

March 3, 2012
By creatologist SILVER, Hauser, Idaho
creatologist SILVER, Hauser, Idaho
6 articles 1 photo 5 comments

Chapter One

Dear Diary,


Date: June 13, 2012
I guess this is my first entry. Mom just got this notebook for me; she said I should record my thoughts in here. If I can I suppose. I was worried someone would find it and look through it, but I guess that’s why she was careful to get one with a little lock. I just don’t know about this. I mean, should some things be written down? I’m not exactly like everyone else who keeps a diary. Well, I guess if I’m going to start writing everything down in here…this is the first thing that should be written.
I’m not entirely hu… The fingers above the page stopped moving for a moment, and then continued.
I’m not entirely human.
Nariko tossed her notebook to the side in a wave of frustration. “So annoying!” she muttered under her breath. “I can barely write it down.” She flopped down onto her bed. Closing her eyes, she tried to ignore the thoughts pushing at the edge of her mind.
What she had written in her notebook hadn’t been a lie. Without sitting up she reached over and grabbed the small little book again. Holding it above her, she firmly clicked the tiny latch into place, and threaded in a small padlock. Using an almost microscopic key to lock it, she finally just turned the notebook around and around in her hands. The key went on a necklace concealed beneath her t-shirt.
She sighed softly. So this is going to contain my thoughts? Huh, if I recorded everything it would be full within a day. It was a simple little book, black textured leather with a tarnished looking silver latch. As she ran her fingers across the cover, she could feel all the little ridges in the leather.
A sudden yell from downstairs startled her.
“Nariko! You need to get moving, school starts in half an hour.”
“Alright, I’m going!” She quickly slipped the notebook beneath her mattress, grabbed her black and red backpack, and fairly ran down the stairs. As she was tying her black Hi-top Converse, her mom came over with a small thermos.
“Don’t forget, you need to drink your counteracting elixir at noon.”
Nariko quickly slipped it into a concealed pocket in her bag. Just can’t forget that can we? Hate the stuff.
“How much of that stuff do we even have left? You’ve been giving me bigger doses lately.” she said aloud.
“Don’t worry honey we have enough.” Her mom was eying her outfit skeptically. “Don’t you want to wear something different? It’s always jeans, t-shirt, and those sneakers.”
“No, it’s fine. The teachers have started identifying me by what I wear now.” Nariko rolled her eyes. “They just can’t pronounce my name right, so they decide to be lazy.”
“Well if you’re sure.” Her mom gave her a quick hug as she stood up. “Be careful, and behave okay?”
“I always do Mom. Don’t worry so much.”
A few minutes later she was walking along the sidewalk, hands grasping the straps of her backpack. She didn’t walk at all hurriedly; she just maintained a moderate pace. Other kids on her street were beginning to leave their houses as well, all of them walking quickly if not running.
“Hey Nariko!” A girl ran up behind her, notepad and pencil in hand.
“What is it now Anneth?” Nariko didn’t stop walking, or look over at the girl next to her. Why doesn’t she leave me alone?
“Ok, I’m doing a research project on all the names of the people in 10th grade, and what they mean. I needed ten names, and you’re the tenth. Can you help?” As Anneth spoke she was skipping around and around Nariko in circles as she walked.
“Fine Anneth. You forget too easily, I told you this last week.” She rolled her eyes. “The name Nariko means thunder in Japanese.”
Anneth rapidly scribbled the information down. “Ok great! Thanks!” As quickly as she had appeared she was gone, running up the street towards the school ahead.
Classic example of your average fifteen year old. Wish I was like that.
The first half of the day passed quickly, in the usual monotony of math, science, and social studies. As soon as the lunch bell rang Nariko was off to her favorite spot. Her school was rather unique in that it had a large koi pond, next to a small patch of dense trees. Nariko would make sure no one was following her, and then hop over the fence bordering the trees. A couple of minutes later she was sitting by the edge of the pond, concealed from sight by reeds. She quickly ate her sandwich, then reached into her bag and grabbed the thermos. The thermos had a clear strip on each side, so she could easily see the color of the liquid within. It was a swirled mixture of bright green, dark blue, and neon purple. Without taking a breath in between, she gulped down the liquid, screwing up her face at the bitter taste. As the elixir worked it was an odd feeling, like her blood turned to fire for a split second, then it subsided. Nariko leaned forward, looking at the fish swimming languidly along. Trapped into something they can’t get out of. She sighed. They were born to be in this pond. They couldn’t escape it, now they spend their life this way. As the fish swam away from her, the water’s surface cleared and she was able to see her reflection. Black hair in a short pixie cut framed a thin face, and dark denim blue eyes stared right back at her. I look so normal. She chuckled mirthlessly. But I’m nothing like everyone else.
I am half dragon after all.

The author's comments:
This is the start of a story I'm writing. It looks like this one is going to be a book someday. :) I hope everyone who reads this enjoys!