The First One | Teen Ink

The First One

By MyKaleidoscopeWorld GOLD, Haymarket, Virginia
MyKaleidoscopeWorld GOLD, Haymarket, Virginia

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Life is about giving it your all even when you have nothing.

The sirens sounded as the military machines approached the frontline. My pack stood firm as one against the humans. Some had already called their talents to their aid. Malcon had conjured his falcon form; Mariana was surrounded by bountiful amounts of water as she prepared to flood them. The others had formed their bodies into walking weapons. Some had built in armor, poison skin, spikes jutting out from areas that would painful for any creature that was not a shape shifter with that specific talent. Some had the elements at their control. The most basic had their animal and plant forms to protect them.

I gave my pups good genes, I thought to myself. I turned my head to see Declan in full military uniform. He had a sword and shield that I conjured up for him. His green eyes blazed with a fierceness that I had never seen in him before. His brown hair had grown until it reached just passed his shoulders. His lean body was held in such a way to show courage and rebellion.

My heart ached until I gasped from the pain. Declan turned toward me with a worried gaze.

“Eve? You okay,” he asked.

“Yes. I am fine. Remember Declan, stay with me. We need to find Adam and get him away from the humans.” I paused then whispered softly, “He belongs with me.” I could see the hurt cross Declan’s face just before it distorted into determination.

“We’ll get him back Eve. I swear.”

I nodded, but all I could do was pray that Declan be kept safe from harm and my pups survive. I already knew there would be great casualties.

My size grew tenfold as I evolved into a dragon. Declan climbed upon my back of silver scales. Once he was secure, I let a roar escape my throat that emanated throughout the battlefield. The pups lost their balance for a brief moment. A fourth of the human machines tilted to their sides and was rendered useless by their owners. All was silent as my cry wore down. Suddenly, both humans and shape shifters let out the sounds of war. They rushed at each other, weapons raised high. Blood spilt across the earth as bombs were fired and arrows shot. Fire raced across one side of the field as water doused the machines requiring a match. Animals were slaughtered as they tried to tear into the flesh of their enemies. Sounds of rage and agony shouted from the chaos.

I turned my thoughts away from the bloodshed and focused my mind on my target. I lifted from the ground as my wings expanded and displaced the air around me. Declan held tight to my body as we flew over the dying soldiers of mine and the humans. I followed the energy field that was Adam’s to a mountain just behind the Military camp ground. I flew overhead past the summit and down the slope. The peak had snow and as we descended, the land became rugged and gravelly. From a normal creature’s perspective everything would look the same, but I could identify each grain of dirt and leaf on a tree. That’s why I could see molecule sized pieces of ember floating into the air.

I looked ahead to see two miles ahead of me a bright orange flame and smoke curling toward the sapphire night sky. I could tell Adam was there. I could feel his breath that was ever so calm and his mind that welcomed my presence as I neared.

We reached the campfire and I landed softly to the forest floor. Declan hopped off my back and readied his sword as I reduced my size and shape to my human form. I looked toward him and quietly asked, “Are you ready Little One?”

His eyes betrayed his true feelings, but Declan nodded. I signaled for him to stay behind me and we approached the fire cautiously. No one was visible but I could sense Adam’s presence hiding in the shadows. He could sense I knew this and appeared before Declan and I as if he were a god.

His auburn hair was long and wavy down to the small of his back. His eyes were a deep blue like that of an ocean. His body was tanned from long days of walking in the sun and muscular from the training he performed for the last twenty-three years. He had no facial hair, but was replaced by chiseled features that put Michael Angelo’s David to shame. His mouth was twisted into a grimace.

“You shouldn’t have brought a human.” Adam’s voice was like a splash of cold water. I hadn’t heard his voice in so long…

“Do you love him?”

That shocked me out of my reverie. “What?”

“Do you love him,” Adam asked again, his voice dripping caramel over all my senses.

I looked toward Declan. I thought of the time we first met and he hadn’t feared me for what I was, but instead came closer to learn more about me because he was fascinated. I saw Declan’s goofy smile when I cried my whole story and soul to him and he made me laugh. I saw his face when he worried over my physical and mental condition.

I remembered the moment we kissed as the sun set, just like the moment when we first met.

Did I love him? Did I love Declan—my Little One?

Declan was staring into my eyes, searching for the answer just as hard as Adam was doing. I turned to Adam and when I tried to speak, no words would come.

You cannot tell a lie…

One of the many rules God set for me.

Adam could see this and I saw his eyes grow dark and morbid. His mouth twisted in disgust, rage, and anguish.

“I see,” was all he said with such resignation my heart broke.

“I love both of you. I cannot help it,” I said through the sob that rose in my throat. I knew I could only choose one. I knew I would choose Adam. Together we kept the world and its creatures whole and alive. We could not live without one another. Declan was human and would find love again. He had a short life. He deserved to live it in peace. He should never be in love with someone who will live past him for eons after.

“You realize you must choose, don’t you,” Adam asked.

I could only nod my head. Adam started intently at me then turned his head toward Declan.

“Look at what you have done,” Adam asked viciously. “You have made her heart torn. If she is like this she will burn the earth down! She was created from my body by God and He declared that we be soul mates so long as we both shall live. But now she is in love with you,” he jabbed a finger in Declan’s face.

“Adam, don’t, please—,” I begged, but he shot me a glare that stopped me short.

“I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry,” Declan started as calmly as he could. His mixed emotions pulsated through my body. The world was spinning.

“You are sorry?” Adam raised his voice, incredulous that such a small, inadequate creature would dare speak to him. “I will show you how sorry you’ll be!” With that said, Adam lunged at Declan who had already taken a fighting stance. Both men tackled to the ground where the punched, kicked, shrieked, bit, and twisted each other into death locks. I could hear myself shouting for them to stop. I could see the blood splattering the ground, their clothes, and my skin. I just could not make myself move.

I loved them both. I saw their faces contorted into shear rage. I had flashbacks of memories where each made me smile. Strangely, though, I could see very few and in between for Adam. Most of my joyful memories happened when Declan entered my life. Even now my soul lifts at the thought of his name.

I came back to the present where the men brawled in the dirt. My heart beat faster as I saw Adam raise a hand laced with fine white dagger-tipped fingers. They pointed toward Declan’s heart. Just as Adam brought down his hand to make the death blow, I jumped.

The last I remember was my voice yelling “No!”

This is a clip of the book I'm writing called The First One. Feel free to comment and give me advice to help me improve. Thanks.

Cataclysms-Mayday BRONZE, Summerland, Other

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

This caught me really quickly. I want to know more! Why are these people fighting!? Where do they all come from? Whats this relationship with god?
If this is one day published i will defiantly buy it. Great job =)

Seelix PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
Loved it! Very original, your discriptions were amazing!

LOVED IT pls write make sure this book is out 2morrow because i would definetly buy it . really really loved it this is why they have teen ink so ppl with ur talent can show it

anaisp15 GOLD said...
anaisp15 GOLD, Batavia, Illinois

And in the music we find ourself

I love your story it's very good writing. I like how you used Adam and Eve.

really? thank I appreciate it :)

PrimaryColors SILVER, Tacoma, Washington
i love the creativness of your piece, definetly original