Parallel: Part 1 | Teen Ink

Parallel: Part 1

By amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

"ganbaranakutemo ee nende!" (It's okay even if you didn't do your best!) -Smileage/Tsunku

“42.98.” The cashier tells me with a smile, handing me my bag, “Have a nice day.”

“Thanks .You, too.” I answer. I take the bag by the bottom, not bothering with the flimsy handles.

I pull my cell out of my pocket and start texting.
Mom-
at front entrance. Katie and Molly already left. Come soon.
-India

I click send and stuff my phone back in my pocket, dropping a chain necklace that I borrowed from my sister’s room. I pick it up and clasp it behind my neck.

If I know my mom, it’ll be a while until she picks me up.

I walk over to the girl’s room and step inside. I pull a little come out of my purse and wet it under the sink, putting it through my frizzy bangs. As I walk out, someone steals my purse.

“Hey!” I shout to the man, who was running outside. I’ve never been the type of person to shy away from danger that involves me. “Get back here!” Good thing I decided to wear my sneakers and not my heels.

He pushes open the automatic doors and an alarm goes off.

“Great,” I mumble, much too quiet for anyone to hear, “a crazy man just set off the fire alarm and took off with my purse.”

I still won’t give up. The only picture left of my brother is in that purse.

I don’t obey the orders to “stay calm” or “exit in single file.” I dash out the door onto the sidewalk. The man throws my purse down an alley in-between the two sections of the mall. I sigh and go in after it.

The alley is dark, and smells of car exhaust. I bend down to pick up my small, leather bag when someone pushes a dumpster to block my only exit.

I am trapped.

I hear chuckling. A sly man emerges from the darkness.

“You see,” he says, suddenly serious, but still holding his sly smile, “The funny part is that you really thought you could get away.”

this idea has been in my head for a while, but i'm already 50 pages of so into the novel I'm writing. I figured I would post it here, section by section. This is my first science- fiction, I usually write fantasy. Please feel free to leave comments and rate! Thank you!

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

please please plz plz plz look at my maximum ride review, and rate and comment. thanks! :) :):) :)

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

i think i know a book that you might like, since you liked the host so much. Look for Maximum Ride by James Patterson- it's kinda simple, but really good! someone reviewed it as "boxcar children meets X-men".

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

Thanks! My two inspirations for this would be stephenie meyer and margaret peterson haddix, they encouraged me to try science fiction. plz read the other 2 and comment if u haven't already! Thanks again!

Hay.467 SILVER said...
Hay.467 SILVER, Hide-a-way, Texas

"a man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar" mark twain

really really great start!! i couldn't look away the whole time i was reading it!! (ps, i saw your article on the host, and i have to say that its probably my favorite book in the entire universe!!!!)...

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

please rate and comment! it's my first sci- fi published, and i could use some support. also check out the two sequels! if u like them, i'll write more:) thanks a million!