Double-Checked | Teen Ink

Double-Checked

By roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia

Peace, Love, and R&R

I am sitting, waiting for everyone to finish their test. I am smarter than them, better for sure. I stare at the drawings written on the blackboard. There is a drawing of a stick-figure who is shaped like a blow-pop. The tiny body with the big head. Its eyes are squinched tight, mouth is ready to bite. The board is saying that it is saying,
"I LUV U AYIN." But I can hear what it is really telling me. It's telling me that I'm shrinking.

And I am. So tiny until I'm the size of a piece of graphite that broke off my pencil. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but I fly over to the chalk ledge. The drawing pops off the board, still in its two-demensional form. It speaks to me in a gravelly voice, like the guy from Rocky who isn't Rocky, but the other guy. Maybe if the little dude would open his mouth he could talk normal. But he kept the same face he had on the board, like he ate something sour.
"Kaylee, what are you doing over there?" I looked back over to my desk. My normal-sized body was still there, slumped over like I was asleep. But I wasn't asleep. My eyes were open, unblinking, like I was in a trance.
"Waiting for people to finish their test." I answered plainly.
"How come you are so much quicker than them? Surely you are not that much smarter than them."
"Well, I don't waste my time double-checking my work. I know I'm right. I always am."
"Yeah-huh. What was your grade on your last Spanish test? D+?"
"C-! Anyway, why do you care, you're a drawing on a board!"
"I care because I am your conscience. Well, technically, my formal name is Max, as you would know if you looked at the board for once in your life. But I am your conscience. Now, no more questions."
"Wait, just one more-"
"Nope! Begone!" Before I could protest, I felt myself grow back into my chair. Mrs. Benson, my teacher, was standing over me.
"Are you ready to turn that in?" She asked. For once, I actually thought about it.
"Nah. I'm gonna double-check it."

I was actually in Spanish class after I finished a test when I wrote this. But unlike the character Kaylee intended to do, I double-checked my work before a drawing on a board started talking to me.