Ancient continent Creation Myth | Teen Ink

Ancient continent Creation Myth

By Pasky SILVER, Kerang, Other
Pasky SILVER, Kerang, Other

"Let he that would move the world, first move himself" Socrates
"Tell me a truth and I'll listen, tell me a fact and I'll learn, but tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever." Indian Proverb

Creation Myth

In the beginning the universe was nought but void. Inside lived its titan king, The lord of Nether, and his queen, The lady of Nether. They ruled for many million years, until they birthed their first child, Time. His semblance of something ate away slowly at the void, unknown to his parents. Eventually Time had two more Titan brothers, the twins Life and Death.

The destruction of the void increased in speed, still unknown. The three brothers went out to a small pocket of the universe and created a palace to live in. They used it to oversee the creation of the planets and the stars, the suns and the moon, The Universe. Many things were made at the sake of the void.

The Lord of Nether finally noticed what was happening, and sought to protect his realm. Before he could though, his Queen birthed the twin sister, Destiny and Fate. They left them in their children’s palace and grudgingly sealed their realm off from the rest of the universe. He never stopped watching as his children created everything that was something.

Many hundred million years later the Titans created the last most perfect planet, Earth. On this planet they made many different creatures. They then left the planet to its fate. Eventually the inhabitants became curious, so the Titans created the many Gods and deities to rule over the many different realms of the planet. This story is only about one set of deities though and their realm. They ruled over the untainted ancient continent.

At first there was only Atlantis. It was struck with terrible famines and diseases, so its gods put the inhabitants asleep till they could find something to do about it. Then when Atorius pulled the sword from the stone a large part of England split off. Its inhabitants fell asleep thanks to the power of the world tree and managed to survive.

This country, Albion, drifted till it collided with Atlantis. The collision caused such a powerful shockwave that the inhabitants of both lands woke from their enchanted sleep. The two countries combined, whilst the forested area where the world tree lived split off and drifted into the middle. At that time only a few elves were on Albion. The section that split off was named Avalon, after the leader of the elves.

The lands of Avalon would take no deities, instead deciding to worship the world tree, known to them as Sardrissal (sah-dris-al). The inhabitants of Albion had no gods and as such they were eager to follow the teachings of Atlantis’ deities. But time was cruel and as such a whole continent was far too much land for the deities. The gods decided that they would have children to watch over their elements chaos.

Volcana, god of fire, made his son Erif from the fires of Onaclov, The great volcano. Terra formed his son, Htrae (He-tray), from an entire mountain. Gaia, goddess of nature, was the only goddess to birth her child naturally. His name was Erutan (Er-oo-tan) and the shared a link deeper than any of the other gods. Whisp, goddess of air, formed her daughter, Ria (Ri-a), from the clouds. Thues, god of lighting, formed his son, Gninthgil (Nin-th-gil), from lightning during a great storm. Aqua, goddess of water, formed her daughter, Retaw, from an entire lake.

The goddess of light’s child was the strangest of all though. Whilst thinking of how to make a child she visited the world tree. She took particular interest in its deep shadow, where no light could reach. She managed to turn the shadow into a being. He was the god of darkness. She had her child, but the world tree had lost its shadow.

The fourteen gods ruled but The god of darkness was not content. One night he sneaked into his mother’s bed chamber as she slept. He attempted to drain all her power but was unable to because she had placed wards. She knew this would happen because by extreme chance the sheet detailing her destiny and fate landed in front of her. It told her of how her son would kill her. Destiny and Fate came, asking if she had read it. The goddess of light lied, telling them she had only just found it. She gave it to them and they left without question.

That night she placed wards and slept till her son came. As he tried to drain her power she started to fight back. It was her destiny to die here but, because she found the sheet, it did not happen and all of the continent would no longer be governed by fate.

When the two fought, the collision of their opposite powers caused their powers to flow between each other. When the two ran from each other they soon found they had changed. They were now half light, half dark. She was forever known as order after that and he was called chaos. This was just the beginning of the sleeping war.

In the process the inhabitants slept. The amount of damage caused during the war destroyed all that the inhabitants had strived to achieve. The inhabitants awoke during the last hours of the war, devoid of all memories but language and what was needed to survive. They found that during the war the entire continent had been ripped from the earth and carried into space. To save the continent the gods carried out the sealing. To do this they were all sealed in places of power. Where they were sealed though, none of the inhabitants knew.

After they were sealed life went on for the inhabitants. The treacherous elves of Avalon still worshipped the world tree. The tree changed during the war though and grown massive. The Orks, Minotaurs, Undead and Wargals of Atlantis sided with Chaos. Under his teachings they practiced the ways of war. They built the great city of Drakes nest. The Wargals found the great caverns, the Undead created their great city, corpse, in the bones of the great drake. The Orks made their capital, Scarath, and the Minotaurs set up a city on the back of the Behemoth. The Humans, Dwarves, Rocs and Basilisks of Albion followed the teachings of Order. Under her teachings they returned Albion to its original splendor. They created the city of Bastion, home of the dragons. Many wars were fought between this city and Drakes nest. They were the first to discover the northern wasteland and the edge. The humans made their capital, Zamar, the rocs discovered the great plateau, the dwarves mined ever deeper into their caves and the basilisks discovered the mysterious silent lake.

This is but the first story though, and it is not the last. This is just the setting for stories to come. Stories of men and monsters, swords and sourcery, life and death, and many, many choices. I write this as I watch The Ancient Continent. It was made by accident and yet of all that they have made it is the most perfect. It is the perfect something made of nothing. Something of nothing, just as my children.

This is the Creation Myth behind my stories.

Pasky SILVER said...
Pasky SILVER, Kerang, Other

Thanks. Ragnar, a story in the same place, is waiting to come online.

Annabelle7614, Nunyabusiness, Georgia

This is my favorite personal quote.

Wow, I like how in depth you've thought about this! Very few people are so into their writing that they invent their own creation myth for them.

You've got a powerful imagination, and it really shows in your work!