The Glowing Elk | Teen Ink

The Glowing Elk

By LAXchamp2022 BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
LAXchamp2022 BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, it was iridescent, glowing, sparkling, magnificent. What was standing in front of me was elegant. The antlers protruding out of its head were ginormous. The body was lean, balanced, and graceful.  
"Mom! Mom! Come look outside! It's amazing!" I hollered at the top of my lungs. I heard the hurried footsteps of my mom coming down the stairs. 
"What is it honey? "Asked my mom.  
"Look at the glowing elk in the yard!" 
"Sweetheart elks don't – woah." she said as she stared out in astonishment.  
"I know!" I said, looking at the awestruck expression on her face. "Can I go and see if I can put my hand through it?" 
"Sure. Just be careful." My mom said, So I hurried to put on some shoes. I sprinted out of the house, then slowed to a halt, about five feet away from the elk. I slowly and carefully moved forwards the elk with an outstretched hand, trying to tell it I was friendly. It noticed my hand and started to move closer to get a better look.  
"Hi!" I said, in a soothing tone. It looked up at me carefully, then our eyes locked together. We stared intently at each other for quite a few seconds, then it came forward to me. One step at a time, it started inching forward. 
"Mom look!" I said, as I reached out to pet him. As soon as I touched his velvety cheek, I felt warm and fuzzy inside. I looked back to see if my mom was watching, but she wasn't there; nor was the house!  
"What?!" I said, under my breath. I looked back at the elk, and he looked like he was kneeling, the way a horse sometimes does when they want you to get on. Knowing this gesture, I got on the elk. He slowly stood up and I noticed we were surrounded by forests.  

Fantasy