A Knight walks into Wawa | Teen Ink

A Knight walks into Wawa

By ssoma BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
ssoma BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey

As the sun streams through the glass doors, a clunking noise can be heard from the street. It was 4 in the afternoon, a slow time for business. The cashier drowsed behind his counter and a college student browsed the aisles. 

Suddenly the doors burst open, a pane of glass shattering. The student shrieked and the cashier spilled his coffee all over the counter.  “Hello, fair owner of this Inn! I have come to request sustenance and shelter at your weary establishment!”

A hulking figure stepped in. A regular man, so it seems, with sandy brown hair, and a weathered face, softened from smiles. He would seem fairly normal if it wasn't for the bulky set of armor he was wearing. Cuffed metal plates covered his chest, back, and shoulders alongside worn leather greaves and gauntlets, although he was barefoot. A huge scabbard glinted ominously from his side, a sharp contrast to the stranger’s friendly face. He had a helmet tucked under his arm with a huge blue plume. He was covered in suspicious red splotches. 

The cashier shook his head in confusion. “That’s some pretty cool cosplay dude,”

“I have not heard of this play of Cos,” the stranger declared in a booming voice. “But I have come here to purchase rations for my journey. By royal decree, you must provide me with whatever I request!” He seemed very proud of himself for making this declaration.

“Well normally it’s no shoes no service…” muttered the cashier as he glanced at the stranger’s large sword. “But I guess you can just grab some stuff off the shelves,”

The man made a bowing motion and began scouring the aisles. His steps were large and clumsy like he was too big for his own body. He looked on with curiosity at the bags of chips and batteries hanging on the walls and stared in amazement at the lights. He had never seen such marvels like this, these multicolored bottles and packages. They shall surely grant him the energy needed for his journey.  “You have some powerful torches, young innkeeper, '' he called out, staring at the ceiling. The cashier did not reply.

The young college student stared at the man with amusement and pulled out her phone to take a picture of his getup. 

His gaze snapped to her. “Why does thou point a metal box at me?” 

She jumped. “Oh- I was just-”

He was next to her in a flash, staring at her phone in horror. “Oh vile witch, you have captured my soul in your accursed metal box!” He snatched it out of her hand, gazing at his picture with devastation. “How will I reach my Lord, my Lady, the holy land now!?” He seemed close to tears as his hand flew to his sword. The college student panicked.

“No, wait! Look-” She pressed a button on her phone and it switched off. The strange man cried out in joy and dropped the phone; the college student quickly caught it. 

“Oh damned witch, your generosity will allow me to continue my quest! May Christ absolve you of your crimes because of your mercy!” He grinned at her and continued stuffing his arms with snacks.

“Uh huh, no problem at all,” The college student muttered. She got up and bolted out the door.

The strange man paid no attention to her, glad to see her go. Witches were crazy and dangerous women. He was glad to have escaped with his life. But with the power bestowed to him by his Lord and Christ, he knew nothing would stop him on his holy mission. 

He approached the cashier with various containers of food and drink. He hadn’t seen any food as fresh as this during the long crusades. He had been careful to pick the things he thought would give him the most strength, which was clearly the most colorful items. 

“Good fellow, I wish to bring these items with me,” He told the cashier with an easy smile. He wondered if the young lad had even known he had a dangerous witch in his presence. 

The cashier awkwardly scanned the items, while the stranger watched him with intense curiosity. “That’ll be $5.95”.

The stranger stared at him blankly. The cashier stared back. 

“I need money, dude,”

The stranger patted his side and gasped. “I- I have no coin on my person!” He slammed his fist against the counter, the cashier flailing backwards. 

“Oh wretched fate, must you throw every obstacle in my path as I travel to my sacred destination? My Lord and Lady await my presence eagerly; and I cannot let anything stop me- Unless-” He looked up, brown hair falling in front of his face like old straw, a crazed look in his eye. 

He kneeled down on the floor sharply, pulling out his sword and placing it tip down before him, both hands firmly on the handle. “Young Innkeeper, if you shall provide me with sustenance, I, Sir Richard, pledge myself to you, to carry out all your wishes, keep you second in my thoughts only to My Lord and God!” He paused breathing heavily from his intense speech.

“Uhhhhhh…” The cashier rubbed his head. “Normally we accept cash or credit….” He glanced at the stranger bent on the floor. “Give me your helmet and I’ll call it even,”

The stranger grinned wider than the whole sky and eagerly handed over the helmet. 

“Noble sir, I thank you for your service! I shall tell my Lord of your unending kindness and he’ll reward you greatly!” He bowed again. “May our paths cross again!”

The stranger stuffed his snacks under his chest-plate and bounded out of the Wawa, breaking another glass door on his way. 

The cashier sighed and grabbed his broom to clean up the mess. 

If he had been paying attention he would’ve noticed the stranger disappear off the road in a blur, as if he was never there.

The helmet still gleamed on the counter.

I wrote this for my 9th-grade English class. Prompt: A character walks into Wawa.