A look into the future | Teen Ink

A look into the future

January 13, 2023
By Star_nerd120 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Star_nerd120 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
¨The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.¨ - Captain Jack Sparrow


¨Well, aren´t you gonna go in?¨ The woman asked in impatience. I look at the travel pod, one last time. Holy sh*t. I was going to do it, I was going to time-travel, into the future! I scan the inside of the pod, seeing that it is only surrounded by white cushions. I wonder what the future holds, does it hold greatness? Misogyny? Fear? A bunch of questions swirls through my mind. ¨Well? Are you ready?¨ I snap out of my daydream and face the woman. ¨Yes, yes I am,¨ I say as I brush off the dust on my white shirt. ¨Good, remember, you only travel one hour ahead of time. Speak to no one, and don't mess things up.¨ The woman says as she points at the pod. I take a deep breath, I can do this. I need the money, for my family, my parents.


And my baby.


I waste no more time and step into the pod. The door closes. I could feel the pod vibrating violently, then turning into violent shaking. I hold myself into balance as I close my eyes. I pray to dear god my belly doesn't pop. A minute later the shaking stops. I open my eyes, I become eccentric, and the door opens, I step out. I take to have a look around. 


No one was there. 


I stand, in the middle of the outside world, confused. Trying to figure out what was happening. The buildings were still here, the cars were still here, but what about the people? What about… me? My baby? My family.


Oh, dear. 


I waste no time and speed walk my way back into the pod, flipping the switch to bring me back into the current time. The pod starts shaking violently over again, and I squeeze my eyes shut. Did I go into the future to see nothing? Nothing at all? It did not seem right. The shaking stops once again, and the door opens, and I see everyone around me again. I step out of the travel pod, I turn to the same lady I was speaking to earlier. She had that look of curiosity on her face. ¨Well, how was it? What did you see?¨ I look at her, but I do not say anything. Silence ruled the moment for a whole minute. Then I look back at the pod, back at the lady, and I say.


¨Nothing. I saw nothing, I saw no one.¨


The author's comments:

This is a very short writing prompt about a pregnant 25 - year - old woman, who is chosen to travel into the future