Devious Deceptions | Teen Ink

Devious Deceptions

By CanterColt BRONZE, Virginia Beach, Virginia
CanterColt BRONZE, Virginia Beach, Virginia

Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ve experienced pain in my life, everyone has experienced it, but not all people have experienced the same gut wrenching pain that leaves you with a throat so raw from screaming vulgarities at the wall, afraid that if you gave in to the dark desire that continue to burrow deeper into the very core of your soul, the very core of your being for an entire century.  My pain is different from what others experience, as they don’t live with a secret, one that can never be shared with anyone but those who share my mind, my soul, and my secret itself.  

This secret isn’t what causes my pain, it’s the knowledge that this secret not only carries the ability to heal, as well as the power to destroy.  Those who knew me before I knew I was destined to become a variation of a wolf, would say I was a dark abyss of pain, misery and suffering making not only myself, but those who haunted my thoughts through every waking moment of my mortal life feel the same devastating emotions that burdened my shoulders and stained my aura.  I know what you’re thinking, “This kid’s a wolf?”  well, you’re only half right, not only am I a wolf, I am the worst kind of wolf…  They call my species the werewolf, little did I know that my parents who I believed were dead up until last summer, were really part of the most sacred and highest ranking packs in the community. 

Humans refer to our kind as a myth, but in truth we are not a myth, we are real, we phase at will, not with a full moon that people think is true.  We phase when we want to, but the sad part is that once we go wolf, there’s no going back to being human.  The gene that carries the wolf trait only makes itself present when the soon to be wolf turns sixteen and a half years old.  That person starts hearing the voice of the alpha, or for those of you who don’t know what an alpha is, he’s basically our king, what he says goes, no one in the pack has the power to disobey the alpha’s edict.  The alpha says to the new person “You have two choices, you may either turn your back on what you were born to be, or you can embrace it and make history, but the decision must be made in two hours, or you will die.”  That person is normally intrigued, accepts the offer and becomes a creature of the night, and fulfills the role in the pack he was born with. 

My mother was my father’s second in command, I guess you could call her his “beta”.  With my mother being the second in command that makes my father the Alpha, my mother and father are now reaching the time where they must step down to make way for the new Alpha, me.  I’ve accepted my role in the pack, but I have yet to choose a second in command, as well as to choose a mate.  See the way we work is complicated, a Werewolf shares a pack mind, meaning that every wolf in the pack shares everyones thoughts all the time, though with myself being the Alpha I not only have the pack mind, I have my personal mind, I am the only one who can hear my personal thoughts unless I choose to share them.  

I have yet to choose a mate, the wolf that I will share my life with in the most intimate ways that a wolf can.  I have not yet found a wolf that I believe to be compatible with myself, not only does my mate have to be compatible with me, she has to be able to handle being the second in command, in case I am unable to act, she acts in my place.  For me to choose a mate, I have to imprint which means I have to look into that wolf’s eyes and let my soul and emotions into her mind and transfer the timbre of the Alpha’s voice to her so she can truly become my second in command, than after she is transformed into my mate, we’d go to my parents, and they transfer to us their control and voice over the pack.  As of right now there are thirty two female wolves that have yet to find a companion, in total the pack (I refuse to call it my pack until I have my mate) has seventy wolves in total.  And it looks as if soon you will be joining my pack, not because you want to, but because you want to be with me, not as a pack member, my mate.

I wrote this piece one day over a winter break, bored and with nothing to do, suddenly this came to mind, Once I started I couldn't stop, and eventually this came to be.