The Darkness Within. | Teen Ink

The Darkness Within.

By HarryLordPotter BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
HarryLordPotter BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

“If you find this recording, don’t feel bad at this, part of the journey is the end. Just for the record, being adrift in space with zero promise of rescue is more fun than it sounds. Food and water ran out four days ago. Oxygen, it’ll run out tomorrow morning.”
After Neil finished his recording, he turned off the radio to save power. When he woke up this morning Neil had checked the power level on his spacecraft. It was at seven percent. “ Hello… Hello… anyone there?” Neil questioned. As soon as he ran out of food Neil had called for help but nobody responded. Neil figured they were sleeping, so, he checked inventory. Neil only had two med-kits, a radio, an S&W model 500 with 27 rounds of .500 magnum shot, about a days worth of oxygen, and, little to no fuel left for the ship to fly.
Neil checked the power level again and his heart dropped. It was at one percent. At that moment the power went out. Neil knew this was bad. He knew he wasn’t the only living thing on this ship. That was what Neil was afraid of. He had sealed the bridge off with the remote-controlled blast door. With the power out the door opened. Neil could hear a high pitched noise that sounded like a mixture of metal grinding against metal and the squeal of a dying animal. The fear Neil had for what was there was so heavy that you could slice through it. Like a knife through butter.
Right then and there Neil’s mind had gone back to when James had told him that there was an important cargo on board and was a living animal. James had also said to bring extra fuel and rations. Neil started to sweat. This is what he did wrong. He forgot the fuel and rations. Neil felt like an idiot but there was no time to dwell on the past, he needed to focus on the now. Something was moving in the dark and Neil had to kill it. The problem is he can’t remember what the animal is.
“Oh hell no,” Neil hoarsely screamed. What Neil saw next made his blood boil, his skin feel as if it was made out of ants. Before Neil stood a bear. Not just any bear, a zombie bear. With the skin slowly peeling off and patches of fur soaked in blood. Neil could see each drop of blood on the bear's lips. He could feel the beads of sweat rolling down his chin. Neil could hear each heartbeat in his chest. Every breath he took felt as if he were swallowing fire. Neil’s eyes were as wide as saucers. And, as the jaws the zombie bear slowly closed on his head, Neil thought about how he had failed his mission, and let James down.

The End

this was a story that I have been working on for a while.