I GAVE YOU MY HEART | Teen Ink

I GAVE YOU MY HEART

By yours-truly BRONZE, Stow, Ohio
yours-truly BRONZE, Stow, Ohio

“Come on Tess!” I shouted playfully at my girlfriend, “Hurry up!

“Oh shut up Nick,” she hollered back “I’m coming”

Tess was beautiful. Not only attractive but she could understand anything and give you perfect advice. I loved her more than anything.

We were both late for school and we were running as fast as we could. We got to school just in time and got to our classes.

After a rushed up day, Tess and I walked home. The sky was a beautiful rich blue color but I could hardly tear my gaze from her sweet soft lips curled up in a beautiful smile. I walked Tess to her house, only three from mine, said goodbye and headed home. Little did I know that might be the last time I said anything to her.

The next day was a Saturday, A nice calm, lazy day. I had just woken up, so I quickly got dressed and went downstairs. I turned on the T.V and sat in the chair. Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. Who could that be?

“Hello?” I said to the tall man that stood in the doorway.

“Is this the residence of a Nick Shepard?” he said. He sounded official so I couldn’t help but think, was I in trouble?

“Yes,” I said timidly, “that would be me”

“I need you to come to the hospital right away. A friend of yours is deathly ill.” My heart skipped a beat. What? It couldn’t be Tess. Please, it can’t be Tess.

The man drove me to the hospital and I went up to room 217. Where they said my beautiful love waited. I knocked on the door and after hearing a sweet “come in” from a nurse I opened the door.
“Tess?” I said. But was immediately shocked by what I saw. Tess was lying on the white hospital bed with hundreds of tubes and whatnot attached to her body.

“Oh my god.” I whispered still in a deathly mode of shock. “What happened to her? Is she alive?” tears began escaping my eyes. I already lost my father this way. Please not my love.

“She is alive” said the doctor in a grave tone “but we don’t know how long she will be.”

“What’s wrong with her?” I said between sobs.

“Her heart is failing. And we can’t find a donor” said the nurse.

“Could I donate?” I said in a whisper. After a long pause the nurse spoke.
“How old are you?” she said.
“Almost nineteen”
“No, you can’t donate because, well you must be dead.”
“I know,” I began, “if I was dead could I?”
“Yes but,” I cut her off
“Then you found a donor.”
This was an opportunity to save my beautiful Tess from death. I would take it.

The nurse was stunned. So, in a trance, she brought me the donation papers. Signing my name on the papers I knew I was giving my life away. However, I was giving a broken and bleeding life for a beautiful and worthwhile one. I signed the last paper, Nicholas G. Shepard and gave them to the nurse. I sat by Tess’s bed my whole body trembling. I was going to die for her. My life would stop so hers could continue. One of the doctors came in and started to speak.

“Nick,” he began “when and how would you like this… procedure to be done?”
“As soon as possible,” I said rather calmly “and may I suggest poison? That sounds painless” It felt odd and unrealistic to be disguising how I was to be killed with the man who would do it, but finally the doctor spoke again.

“Tomorrow?” he said gravely. I nodded my head and the doctor left. After the doctor left I began to talk to Tess. She could not hear me but well, I only wish……

“You’re going to be fine Tess. I promise. I told you I’d give you my heart now I am. I love you. I hope I will help you. I’m sorry my heart is damaged. I’ve had many losses in my life but, I only hope it’s good enough for you.”

I began to cry. Seeing her lifeless cold body was more than I could bear. Usually her beautiful pink lips never stop moving now, only stone cold and dull.

Finally the moment came. At 7:30 I was given the poison. Then in 3 minutes, my last breathe was drawn. I would never see my darling love again. She would never see me. I would now be a part of her.

Now five years later my ashes scattered in the park where Tess and I spent so much of our time. Although my soul is never far behind her, I wait. She’s never found another man but she adopted two beautiful children. Their names are Valeria and Nicholas. Two beautiful children I only wish could see me. From time to time Tess will sense my soul in the room with her. She smiles and talks to me then she will cry. There is still love between us even though no one can see. But that doesn’t matter what others think. Because I will never stop loving the beautiful girl I gave my heart to.

the character in this story is my life. hes everything to me and i love him as if he was my boyfriend or brother or best friend. i know everything about him like what he thinks who he is and how he acts. hes a beautiful human being.

buttercup14 said...
The story "I Gave You My Heart" is such a sad story and it made me cry. I loved it and I think you should keep writing stories like this.

Undiscovered PLATINUM, Trophy Club, Texas
Holy COW!! That was absolutely amazing! Your transitions were a little rough, but for a story with that big of a meaning, it would be hard to transition.

Truly and deeply touching. You're transitions don't flow wonderfully, but it was still really emotional.

Denae Worcester BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
Wow. That was touching.

It reminded me of a true story about a boy giving his twin brother a kidney so they could both live.

Besides a few punctuation errors (and the fact the fist 4 paragraphs are unnecessary and out of place), there were just a few minor things that bothered me, interupted the story's flow.

1 Wouldn't the doctors put up more of a fuss and triple check Nick's blood type before killing him in the chance she MIGHT live?

2 Poison. Though I'm not an expert, wouldn't some types get in his blood and render his heart useless?

3 How could they not know about her heart problem earlier?

I loved your ending, though, and the way they both were able to sort of keep in touch. I also liked that she adopted some kids, to keep her life going without having to marry.

weaker GOLD said...
weaker GOLD, Lexington, North Carolina

"Can't change it, so learn to love it!"

Omg that was great i almost cryed

yours-truly BRONZE, Stow, Ohio
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! IM SO HAPPY U LIKED IT!!!

ladyjane62 said...
you are a great writer! keep up the writing - do you also play an instrument? like the guitar - you should put some of your stories to music -

megan39 BRONZE said...
megan39 BRONZE, Bohemia, New York
oh my god, this was beautiful, yet scary. it almost made me cry. it's beautiful and very touching, and i think nick made a good choice saving tess. great job!