Dirty Laundry | Teen Ink

Dirty Laundry MAG

By Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

spoarder SILVER, Ankeny, Iowa
that was amazing!

xxGlitterxx said...
xxGlitterxx, Doha, Other

"Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn't that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you."
— Marilyn Monroe

I loved it. I'm naturally original, but I'm speechless and nothing seems good enough as "I loved it"

leeleewolfie BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

"I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

That was wonderful. I wish I could come up with an original comment, but that was absolutely amazing. I don't know what else to say. I'm so glad my parents aren't like that.

brown.sugar BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

i lovin it

beautoful piece can you check out some of mine its in the poetry section.

Shelly-T GOLD said...
Shelly-T GOLD, Romeoville, Illinois
This is a beautiful piece; amazing job!

The_Blackest_Rose PLATINUM, Joliet, Montana

"History is the fiction we invent to convince ourselves that events are knowable and life has order and direction." --Calvin and Hobbes

Very beautifully written, especially since it is in second person! It takes a very talented writer to be able to pull off second person point of view, but you pulled it off wonderfully. Very believeable and very touching. Excellent!

Hippiechick10 SILVER, One Stoplight Town, Connecticut

Those who deny freedom to others , deserve it not for themselves. (Abe Lincoln)

Beautiful, fantastic, so awe-inspiring.

Babylufin GOLD said...
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri

"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11. Thank you Lord, for this future you've given me.

Amazing! And soo true! Good work! Beautiful idea! Kudos!

Please take a look at my work, if you will? :D It would mean so much, but idk if it will be your taste! Lol.

I love this! It's so true. I would appreciate if you could look at my work, thanks

This is amazing, I absolutely love it.  My only question is: Why did you decide to write it in second person?

swimmer295 said...
I love this.  It's a really powerful piece, and I especially like how you didn't use very many words to convey such a powerful message. 

writerinfinity PLATINUM, Arlington, Texas

very good, i like a person a person that's the opposite nationality and it's hard when people think he's not good enough or something, thankyou for writing this peice it's very good.

if anyone reads this will you please read some of my stories, thanks :)

Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

I love the message that is sent here. My parents are the same, they don't believe in bi-racial relationships, not that I've ever had one, but the color of his skin wouldn't stop me.  My parents are part racist, and I hate it. This was an amazing story. Great job.

beckyboo(: said...
Wow! This was beautiful writing. Kepp it up. This is amazing. It's all put togther perfectly! Wonderful work! (:

RavenBird SILVER, Battle Ground, Washington

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same" ~The Fray "All at once"
"I am who I am and who i wanna be" ~Avril Lavigne

Beautiful. I loved that, wonderful work.

Eatfoodzap SILVER, Winchester, Massachusetts

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. But if you can overcome the sacrifice and make it your own, you will gain an irreplaceable Fullmetal heart."- Edward Elric

Wow, that was really beautiful! I love the quiet dread of the part with the shotgun, but them staying together. And the quote at the end- absolutely perfect! All in all, a wonderful little piece of writing!

Keep it up! ;D

whisperingofdawn GOLD, Colorado City, Arizona
wow! i love this! amazing rhythm. 

brunett97 GOLD said...
brunett97 GOLD, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

never give up until you are happy with the ending.

this is a very good story. sends a true message. you have talent. keep up the good work!

i love it you should the person you no matter what color they i love how you put it it ery strong.

mflower2 BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
This is a strong story. It sends a good message.