Living In The Moment | Teen Ink

Living In The Moment

By nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

"Now join your hands, and with your hands your hearts."
-- William Shakespeare

I walked along the small wooden bridge that weaved its way through a thicket of trees. The lamps that bordered the outside lit everything just enough so I could see where I was going. The sun had just gone down and the sky was as clear as ever. I didn't bother to bring a notebook or anything. I didn't feel like writing. All I really wanted to do was relax. The sky was so clear and the stars seemed so big that when I looked out my window after dinner I got tempted into going to the beach for a while.

I walked for a few minutes before the trees around me began to disappear and the wood under my feet gradually turned into sand. The sounds of the ocean began to make itself apparent and before I knew it the trees were gone. Nothing but the open sea was in front of me. The stars filled the sky from horizon to horizon, and a small crescent moon was randomly placed in the middle of it all.

I slipped off my sandals and felt the cool sand on the bottoms of my feet. It was quiet and peaceful, not a soul around. Only the sounds of the crashing waves could be heard and the stars seemed about three times as bright than they were back home.

When I went closer to the water I could smell the dampness in the air. It was refreshing. It wasn't a feeling I was accustomed to. Once in sight of the tide I walked along the shoreline, just taking in the natural beauty of it all. The night seemed so calm.

I continued to walk slowly along the beach, just out of reach of the growing tide, and I periodically looked up into the sky. Everything above me made me feel so small, so insignificant. After a few minutes along the shore I went up the beach a little ways to look for a place to sit down. It was then when I spotted someone sitting in the distance. I could only see what looked like the dark outline of a young woman. I couldn't see anything more, but I had a feeling I knew who it was.

I approached her. There wasn't enough light to see her face clearly, but I could imagine her dark eyes and brown hair when she turned her head towards me. My heart began to beat a little harder.

'I was hoping I'd see you here.' She said as I approached.

'You did?' I responded.

'Yeah, this seemed like too beautiful of an opportunity for you to pass up. So I figured you'd come.' Her voice was really soft, almost a whisper.

I set down my sandals and sat in the sand next to her. I crossed my legs at my ankles and leaned back onto my elbows, just as she was doing. 'If I can't become inspired from a night like this, than I probably don't have any hope.' I said.

'Still searching for that inspiration, huh?'

'Yeah . . . I am. And the only thing I've found that helps is talking to you.'

She took a deep breath and then laid flat on the sand before responding. 'Glad I could help.'

After a minute I did the same. I could feel the grains of sand shifting to contour to my body. 'I'm beginning to wonder whether of not this was what I was meant to do, you know?'

'What?'

'I just'I don't know.' I sighed. 'You ever think about what you were meant to do in your life?'

'Too many times actually.' She began. 'And every time I think about it the answer always seems to change. Right now though, I'm meant to paint. And to sketch. And to draw. I was meant to put earth's beauty onto a canvas.'

'It's easy to say that when you know what your passionate about.' I responded.

'And you're not passionate about your writing?'

'Well, I am. It's just'maybe I wasn't meant to become an author.'

'What else could you be meant for?'

'I don't know. Nothing, I guess.'

She paused for a moment. 'Everyone's meant for something. Even you.'

Silence.

'You don't believe me.' She said.

'Well if what you say is true then what am I meant to do?'

'Above all else'above painting and writing. Above athletics and money. Above anything else in this world is the fact that everyone, including you and I, were meant to love.' She said.

I was surprised by her response. 'Love . . . you use the term so loosely.'

'But I don't.' She said, running her fingers softly over my hand. Her touch was gentle and I let her fingers run though my own. Her grip tightened slightly, as if she were making sure I wouldn't let go. I had no intention of ever letting go.

I turned towards her for a second wanting to see her face. A surge of emotion entered my body, and at the moment I wanted nothing more than to hold her in my arms and to kiss her. I saw a smile come onto her face.

'This would make a nice short story.' She said after a moment, her voice was still almost a whisper.

'What's that?'

'You and I . . . this weekend . . . right now.' She replied.

'I guess'maybe. An even better portrait if you ask me though.' I said.

'It'd be difficult to see the canvas wouldn't it?'

'Yeah.'

'But we could wait.' She responded.

'Until when?'

'Sunrise.' She said, letting go of my hand to reach behind her. She pulled out a blanket and spread it across our lower body. She put her arm around my stomach and then laid her head onto my chest. 'I told you I was hoping you'd come.'

She was so close I could feel her breathing as her chest rhythmically went up and down. My body suddenly felt weightless and my heart began to beat quicker. I wondered if she could hear it.

'Something tells me that tomorrow is going to hurt.' I began after a few minutes, speaking softly.

'Yeah . . . I know.' She said. 'To think that in only a few hours we'll be leaving each other. It's hard to imagine never being able to see you again.' She sighed. 'It's something I don't think we should talk about right now through.' She lifted her head and looked at me. 'Sometimes living in the moment is the best thing to do. I really don't want to think too far ahead. Right now, I've never felt so happy.' She leaned in to plant a soft kiss on my lips. She pulled her head away slowly, paused a second to smile, and then laid her head back down onto my chest where it was before.

Neither of us said anything for the rest of the evening. There was no need. She was right, why think into the future when the present is so fulfilling? There was a part of me that didn't want to sleep. I wished it would never end. Her body against mine made me nice and warm though, and her rhythmic breathing began to make me drowsy. Before I knew it my eyes were beginning to droop. I took one last look up at the stars and then subconsciously closed my eyes, falling asleep.

Autumn126 said...
That was AMAZING!! i love the romance from the guy's point of view because there never seems to be stories like this from the guys. Your picture and title captured me at first to read your story but then your words wouldn't let me leave. i loved all the detail you put into your work. i mean, what's a story without any detail? your writing is great and it is a great idea to live your life in the moment you are in.

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.

DEMON said...
I do sincerely apologize if I have offended you, good sir. I have had people rant that I steal their limelight, and I have had people who love my writing. Your character is evident in what you have said. Half-empty sort of person, aren't you? To be quite the gentleman (such a rarity in a 17-year-old!) I enjoyed your story, "Living in the Moment." I thought it was rather touching, and intimate. I think you relate well to the boundaries of reality, and the dialogue flows smoothly. I think you could do with more creativity and description, but perhaps that is a biased opinion. I encourage you to keep writing, but only if you do not consider it to be "Hard Work." How can the language of the soul be hard work?

Ah, but what a wasted generation we are! Yielding to texting, image and idiocy! My friend, I hope you learn the meaning of CHARACTER.

Let me change your world: Thank you.

BREAKING TEEN INK'S RULES, BROUGHT BY READERS LIKE YOU.

-DEMON

Dex <3 said...
wow. this was amazing. you put what i always imagined falling in love would feel like in to words. great job1

homewardbound, Billerica, Massachusetts
great job! this really pulled me in. I loved the imagery and the mood of the story. It seems real!

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

I'd appreciate it if you didn't post your article on my page. It's unfair to me and it's not my fault if your story isn't getting noticed. Don't exploit my hard work by trying to get people to notice yours. If you'd like to comment on MY writing, go right ahead. If not, why don't you stop posting your article on everybody else's stories.

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

People say that all the time haha unfortunately, no it didn't happen to me :/ I can't say that I wasn't inspired by a moment similar to it though . . .
I really appreciate your kind words and I hope that once you do get a story on here that you send me the link!
if you'd like to know what happens next i posted another story
http ://www.teenink .com /fiction/romance/article/149895/Living-In-The-Moment-Sunrise/

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

I get this a lot haha. Unfortunately, it didn't actually happen me. =/ I can't say that i wasn't inspired by a moment similar to it though . . .
It's just been a small part of a story that's been going through my head for a while ya know? I'm really glad you liked it and I think it's fantastic that it inspired you to begin to write your own! If you plan on posting it to this site you're going to definitely have to send me the link!
If you're interested, I've posted another story that continues this if you want see what happens in the morning.
I really appreciate your comments and hope to see a story of yours on here soon. =D

Melissa06 said...
Melissa06, Las Animas, Colorado

One who laughs when they have done something wrong has already thought of someone to blame it on.
-Unknown

i really liked this.. i acctually think that maybe this happened to you. I love your writing it paint an overwhelmig picture or movie i would say in my head you've accctually inspirexd me to write a story of my own!!! :)

DEMON said...
EDWARD & BELLA...ROMEO & JULIET...JACK SPARROW & RUM...We all have our dreams of love and forever. I give you "DARIAN & CLARA...EVERYONE WHO DESIRES THAT MAGIC...LOVE...Would you be kind enough to voice your opinion about...

"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"

Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course, it's difficult to articulate emotions that I can't feel, but I find that irony is relatively simple to demonstrate. I inhaled the toxic vapors of the cigarette casually. Its sinister, black cancer couldn't cripple a seventeen-year-old boy with no lungs, let alone a heart.

I glanced in the direction of the horizon, and flinched. The sun was dying flamboyantly, casting its radiant colors across the sky. Its last waves of light caressed my cold, pale skin. I wanted to snarl rebelliously as I felt its warmth slide against me deviously.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

My muscles went rigid, and I had to focus madly on controlling my shaking hands. I would know that voice, that beautiful, disastrous voice, in the realms beyond that of Earth. I grated my teeth, reeling in the disturbing sensations that she unknowingly always aroused in me.

I cocked my body towards her arrogantly, and lifted my mouth into a crooked crescent moon. I felt my eyes flashing, but I worked vehemently to fixate an arctic, hard tone into the dark of my indigo irises.

“I find the sunset lifeless and meaningless, actually,” I countered flatly, and a beat too late.

She laughed merrily, and I struggled within myself as my mind and body became entranced by the beautiful movement of her laughter as the colors of the sun played about her.

“You amuse me, Darian. How can you have such a pessimistic view of the world? The sun will not be lifeless until it disappears beneath the horizon, and the night falls. It’ll rise tomorrow, though,” she said.

I dared not think of her name. I hated the way my soul-if I had a soul-thrilled when her voice lingered over my name. It reminded me of music. I had to close my mind defiantly as I thought of music. I wanted nothing that resembled passion.

“That’s an inane notion that foolish women entertain. You want poetry, and ridiculous vows of forever. You aren’t difficult to read. If you want that sunset to mean something, then you want unrequited love. It doesn’t work like that,” I growled unmercifully, angry at her for unleashing the flood of feelings upon me.

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" It continues...

Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.

“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.

I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confront me. Why she didn’t follow the laws of the superficial high school we both attended. Why she didn’t stay away from me, like everyone else.

“You’ll die from that smoking, Darian.” She glared at me. We’d had this argument a lot. I lifted my eyebrows, and turned away from her, signaling that the conversation was over.

She didn’t obey, and I sighed.

“You know, Dare, you could let yourself feel. You could understand it.” Her voice was soft, a whisper in the darkening air. She was air. My air.

I reviled the potency of the emotions I could feel pulsing through me. I ran a hand through my black hair nervously, my body skidding with strange, unfamiliar energy. I didn’t want to answer her. Why didn’t she leave?

I made a fatal mistake when I looked at her. Every nerve inside of me screamed, as though my body and internal organs were recharging hurriedly in the rare moment of my awakening.

I think I felt my heart beat hesitantly.

My voice seemed like that of a stranger. It had a rich, deep tone to it. It had color.

“Understand what?”

Something in my expression changed the way she was looking at me. It may have mirrored the arrangement of my own features. She became vulnerable in that instant.

“Kiss me.” She whispered brokenly.

Surprise jolted keenly through me. God, I wished I was numb again. Everything felt electric-too intense and too vivid. Emotions scattered across my being, a mutinous invasion of the raging war against myself. I was defenseless and an easy prey to her request. I breathed jaggedly, and there was a husky vibe to it. Want. I recognized it more clearly as it bloomed vibrantly through me.

And she was waiting. For me.

I destroyed the walls I had so warily built as I leaned towards her. She lifted a creamy hand and laid it tenderly against my cheek, the expectation making her bold. I moaned, and closed my eyes. My own hands loosened, and reached for her face greedily

Something hot-burning-ignited against my skin. I wrenched myself away, dazed by the unpleasant sensation. Had a spark traveled through our bodies? That’s when I noticed the cigarette kindling like a faint ember beside my marred hand. It had burnt me. The throbbing pain brought a wave of consciousness through me. Reality. And I stared at her face, inches from mine, and something clicked inside of me. Gears that began humming smoothly, like a tuned clock. I pulled back, and tossed her hand away like it stung. I grimaced as the vitals within me slowly resumed their state of nothingness, and shook my head to clear it of its nonsensical ideas.

She watched the change take possession of me, and tears began to collect in her eyes.

I found that I could care less.

I grinned at her, and mocked, “I taste of cigarettes, Clara.”

She got up shockingly to her feet, and backed away as if understanding for the first time what I was. Tears stained her nondescript face.

I smiled, that careful replication of a smile, and said acidly, “Did I humor your silly fantasies well?”

Her face crumpled entirely, and she pivoted away and ran sobbing from my scathing ridicule.

The sun died, and all was dark.

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

Yup, I've continued the story. I posted a link a couple comments below.

Thanks for the kind words.

Natie SILVER said...
Natie SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida

"Struggle as hard as you can for whatever you believe in" -ahaha thats from a Fortune Cookie :D

This is..soo..beyond words! I love it! Is there a continuation? I'd love to read it if there is..It was perfect:) It was so descriptive. Aha it reminds me of the time I was with a guy, don't worry we just laid there to 'live in the moment' but i never knew guys get nervous too? Wow I'll try not to be intimidating to the next guy next time. lol. Anyways awesome job, keep writing:)

-Natie

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

To those who want to know what happens next . . .

Kass_ BRONZE said...
Kass_ BRONZE, Uvalde, Texas

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."-A.A. Milne

This is absolutely amazing.

You're good. Well, actually really good. Maybe even great. :)

writergirl22 SILVER, In, New York

"Never frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile." -Anounymous

that was really great

you're a really incredible writer and should definitely pursue it! (from what you wrote in the story i feel like you might:) )

lexi<3 GOLD said...
lexi<3 GOLD, Spaulding, South Dakota

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

niceeeeee. i enjoyed the descriptions and th story line in general. good job.

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

I've just submitted the story telling what happens in the morning recently. I'll post a link as soon as it's on the web site!

Thanks for your kind words.

nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

-- William Shakespeare

I really appreciate that. Thank you.

JordanNicole SILVER, Spartanburg, South Carolina

\"Love is strange, powerful, and sneaky. You won\'t know it until you find it...and when you have it, never let it go!\" ~JordanNicole

That's great... :)