Under The Sunset | Teen Ink

Under The Sunset

January 26, 2014
By AliLinnS GOLD, Heislerville, New Jersey
AliLinnS GOLD, Heislerville, New Jersey
12 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love you, sweet Kate. And I'm truly sorry about this. I do feel...everything." -Casanova
Kiss The Girls by James Patterson


It was another glorious evening under the setting sun. My skin began to sting where the rope of the hammock pressed against skin. I laid staring up at the sky, watching the dulling clouds begin to fade into orange as I thought about Ally.

I was wearing my hammy-down sweatpants. The summer air was hot and humid, making my shirt cling to my damp skin, leaving it where it now lay, tossed on the ground beside my resting area. My gray converse sat contently beside it, one up-right and the other laid carelessly on it's side.
Glancing up at the sky, I saw Ally's glorious face staring down at me, made out of the fading clouds. Hair shimmied down over her right eye, and her small lips were curved into a closed grin. I couldn't help but smile at my fictional friend. A friend...

The vibrations coming from my pocket hint a phone call. I don't have to look down to take a guess at who it is. Sliding the device from the depths of my sweatpants' pocket, I answer it with a quick press of a button.

“Hey, Ally.” I answer the phone with ease. A slight giggle escapes from the other line, and then silence, but I know she's smiling.

“Hey, Babydoll. What's up?” She asks. Technically, she is, at least in my mind.

“Nothing. Just laying in my hammock, thinking about you.” She lets out a louder giggle than before, feeling more at ease.

“I can picture that. My James, laying in his hammock. “ She replies, still giggling between pauses.

“Too bad you're not in the picture.” I comment more to myself than her. She takes in a deep breath, as though caught off guard, and then I can almost picture her bright smile on the other side of the line.

“Thanks, Honey.” A pause, and someone shouting in the distance. “I have to go. I'm sorry we couldn't talk longer. I'll call you in a little bit?” She asks, almost sure that I'm going to say no.

“Sure, Ally.”

“Okay.” A light pause. “I love you. I'll talk to you soon.” She waits.

“I love you too.” A light giggle and then, she hangs up.


The author's comments:
I wrote something like this before and a lot of people seemed to like it and it wasn't written nearly as well as I'd hoped, although it was a long time ago. But, I do hope everyone likes this as much I enjoyed rewriting this. It's dedicated to my friend, James. Him and I do not talk as much as we used to, but he's always in my heart and prayers.