If I Die in Your Arms | Teen Ink

If I Die in Your Arms

By yourlove-mywings SILVER, Yuma, Arizona
yourlove-mywings SILVER, Yuma, Arizona

"Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.” Luke 17:3-4

I sat alone at my youth group. I’ve been gone for a while, and didn’t know anybody at church. Sitting on a bench, I watched the people communicating and laughing, making me feel more alone. Then, I saw Brandon, throwing a football with the other guys. I liked football, it was a lot of fun, and I was exceptional at playing catch, but I was nervous to ask him. He must have noticed me watching because he shouted over to me, “Do you want to play with us?”

Nervous, my cheeks flamed red. “Sure.” I stumbled over my own feet as I made my way over to him. So that’s what his voice sounds like, I thought.

Brandon handed me the football, and his friends started moving forward. Girls not being good at sports is SO cliché, I thought. I threw my arm back and launched the ball over their heads.

“Whoa!!” Brandon’s friends said. Satisfied by their compliment, I looked down and avoided Brandon’s gaze.

“Hey. Do you play football?” Brandon asked.

“No, but I like watching it and playing catch with my friends.” I looked up to find him looking at me.

“Oh, that’s cool.” Brandon said, catching a football before it hit me.

“Thanks.” I said, startled. Looking into his eyes, I smiled and looked down embarrassed.

We played catch for a few more minutes, then started our bible study. I wasn’t focused on the lesson because your beautiful voice and looks were so captivating. I never felt this way about any guy before, even guys that I dated. There was something different about you. What, I didn’t know just yet.
***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---
Next week came, and I saw Brandon again. We hung out, and talked more. I told him I liked him, and he just blushed and look down. I told him how I felt, everything I felt for him I poured out. I didn’t get the same response, but he complimented me, saying, “You’re beautiful.”

I looked down. Beautiful? I’ve never been called that before. Hot, yes. But, beautiful? That is something completely different. Being called beautiful is more special. He likes me for me, not my body. I was… beautiful.

“Thanks,” was all I could say.

“I’m not sure if I like you yet, but I definitely have feelings for you.” Brandon said, taking my hand. He took out a pen, and wrote, ‘You’re beautiful. Don’t forget it.’

I looked down at my hand, and blushed. My eyes teared up. I never been called that, and it feels good to be cared for. I looked at him, my eyes blurred. I quickly wipe my tears away and look at him again. He looked down at me, and smiled kindly. I smiled back and hugged him. I didn’t want to let go.

“I love you.” I told Brandon.

“I love you, too.” Brandon said.

If I died right now, I would rather die in his arms than anywhere else.