A Housekeeper's Guide To Love | Teen Ink

A Housekeeper's Guide To Love

August 21, 2013
By The_Introvert PLATINUM, Bellevue, Nebraska
The_Introvert PLATINUM, Bellevue, Nebraska
36 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“She seems so cool, so focused, so quiet, yet her eyes remain fixed upon the horizon. You think you know all there is to know about her immediately upon meeting her, but everything you think you know is wrong. Passion flows through her like a river."


Despite all odds, I feel as though I am truly spinning. My mind has turned itself upside-down, and continues to rotate aggressively. My thoughts are not completely straight, and I cannot organize the contents of my brain.
It is as though I am happy for the first time in a long time.
Whoever it is who reads this, know that I have felt as though I've been waiting for you for quite some time now. Know that there is a welcome mat on my door with your name on it. You do not have to take off your shoes at the door, but know that I am not fond of mud tracks up and down my conscience. I will notice, and I will not be amused.
If you look closely, you may be able to see stains in the white carpet. No matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to get them out. I suppose it is the same for everybody. The cleanest carpets often hide shame under the surface, and the most flawed carpets always hold a hidden beauty, if only you are willing to scrub.
When you step beyond the threshold, you will notice that most of the furniture is covered. There is a reason for this. Do not try to remove the cover. You may find something that you do not like, or something you do not understand, or maybe simply something you were not ready for. When the time is right--when I am ready--I will, one by one, remove the cover. If you do not wish to stay, I will understand. I will not block the door. However, if you choose to stay, things will be different. You may find you know more of me than anyone else. Does this scare you? If so, do not worry. I will think no less of you.
In time, you will come upon locked doors. Do not try to open them. The keys have long since been thrown away, and the contents inside have been forgotten. Some doors will be open just a crack. Some will be wide open. And sometimes, there will be no door. Just a doorway and a room. You may venture inside those rooms and stay for as long as you like.
If, in the end, you decide to stay, you will receive a key. This will open the front door and nothing more. But if you wish to leave, please leave the welcome mat. Leave the door open. Leave something for me to remember you by.
Then, leave.


The author's comments:
No one loves the same way.