Secrets | Teen Ink

Secrets

Avery

Avery just needed to get away. She told herself some reasons, no of which were true. She said she had to get away from her mother, whose piercing blue eyes seemed to know her secrets. She said that she had to escape from her father, whose prolonged silences seemed hint at his disapproval. She convinced herself to get away from Ian, who called her his love, but did not mean it. Who judged her without knowing her past, her secrets. He held everything small thing against her, always seeming to know everything about her, and he almost did. He did not know one thing about her. Something she had done. Something she regretted. The real reason Avery had to get away. What had happened last September not a soul knew, and Avery wanted to keep it that way. No one could ever know.

Sean

She haunted his memories. This mysterious girl had long blonde hair with a gentle curl at the tips. She had wild blue eyes that darted back and forth as she made sure nobody was looking. She did not see Sean, but he saw everything.

Part of him wanted to complete the impossible task of finding her, but after what he saw, part of him never wanted to see her again. As he unconsciously played with his decisions, he knew that the choice had been made for him. Even though he was already 22, Sean’s controlling mother constantly reminded him of how he could not let the family down, and his responsibility of carrying on the family business. Sean did not want to be a lawyer, but that way of life was not questioned in Belle Meade, Tennessee. Sons carried on their fathers businesses, and their sons continued after them. If everyone did this, there was no future to fuss about, no worries at all. Your future was all planed out.

Avery

Avery left the miniscule town of Rossville, where she grew up, and had driven for hours before it dawned on her that she was almost out of gas and money and she had no idea where she was. She pulled over into a small parking lot of a dumpy road-side diner that had probably occupied the same spot for three of Avery’s life times.

Avery sat in her car, lost in thought. She wondered about her stupidity, just driving away, not telling anyone. She shuddered as she imagined her mother’s disappointment, as she discovered her missing. All her mother wanted was a daughter who broke through the bonds of poverty, went to college, settled down and had a family, and was successful. She did not understand when Avery tried to explain to her that this was not what she wanted. Avery wanted to travel, to explore, to learn about her world before she even thought about college or ‘settling down.’ She did not want a family yet, she wanted to be free. It was a pity that Avery was not the one who made the decisions in her life; it was all her mother’s choice.

Sean

Sean pulled into the run-down parking lot, his car sitting conspicuously surrounded by beat up pick-up trucks and mini vans, and started to walk into the dinner. He paused briefly to notice a young girl about his age, sitting in the driver seat of her car, clutching her knees to her chest, looking distraught. He ignored the sudden urge to go talk to her, and the vague recognition nagging in the back of his mind, and continued into the diner. He was greeted by the familiar and comforting face of Antoinette. She had been his nanny when he was young. Now that he had outgrown having a nanny, she worked at the small diner which catered to truckers, exhausted families on road trips, and the occasional lost soul.

“Your mother does not like it when you come here.” Antoinette teased Sean as he entered.

It was true. Elizabeth Messerele did not approve of much her son did. Especially occupying ‘places unworthy of Messerele business,’ as she put it. In Belle Meade Messerele was a big name, but no one in the family was as important as Elizabeth believed they were.

“What she doesn't know won’t kill her. I’m 22, I can make my own decisions. She can miss me for one meal.” Even as he spoke these words, Sean knew they were untrue. Elizabeth would be furious when he returned.

Choosing to enjoy his short bit of freedom because he would pay for it when he returned home, Sean relished in a leisurely meal and visit with Antoinette. He always loved these sneaked visits, because it was really Antoinette who raised him.

Eventually, Sean reluctantly paid, and made his way to his car. On his way back he noticed the young girl still sitting in her car. Her position had not changed on bit since he last saw her. This time Sean followed the nagging feeling and went over to talk to her.

Avery

Avery’s thoughts were interrupted by a small tapping on her window. She met the eyes of a handsome young man with chestnut hair, smartly cut styled with the smallest quiff. His brooding green eyes seemed to read into her soul. Surprisingly this did not bother Avery. He gestured for her to roll down her window, and she complied. After exchanging polite introductions, he asked her why she was sitting all alone in a dark parking lot, miles away from any house.

After thinking about it, Avery answered with a simple “I don’t really know,” before elaborating on why she had left home. She told this complete stranger all about how her mother wanted to go to college and ‘settle down’ while all she wanted to do is explore the world. She was already almost used to using this as her excuse as her reason for leaving. It was good too, because there was no way she could ever tell anybody about what had happened.

He was a good listener. He nodded at all the right times, and seemed to understand exactly what she was going through. And he did. Once Avery was finished telling her story, he told her all about his mother’s high expectations on carrying on the family business, when that was the last thing he wanted to do.

In a dark parking lot, these two strangers, both unsure of their future, collided and made a connection that would change their lives forever.

Sean

Half way through telling his story to the lost girl, Sean recognized her. She was the mysterious girl with the wild blue eyes. She was the girl who haunted his every step. Whose secret, he knew that he was the only one who knew.

After a tense silence, Sean explained to her everything he saw that night in September. As he explained every detail, her already fair face grew increasingly pale. When he finished, a small sob escaped Avery’s lips. She stopped when they heard a rustle next to the car. A dark shadow took off running. Both of their faces displayed shock and panic. Someone else knew the horrible secret.

LiveLaughLoveWriter BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

"Experience is the hardest teacher, because she gives the test first and the lesson later..."

"Don't make her fall if you aren't planning to catch her..."

I really liked it, keep on writing(: