Love For Generations | Teen Ink

Love For Generations

By PriscillaAnn GOLD, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
PriscillaAnn GOLD, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

"In this life, we take our chances and in the end, the best we can hope for is that the thrill of the moment was worth the price we paid."

We were young, we were dumb, and being in love was the best new trend. But us, we knew it wasn't just a trend with our initials M+C carved in the tree. It was our tree, where we shared our first kiss and hid from the pouring rain. The rain wasn't the only thing pouring as I spilled my feelings for you. But everyone knew trends didn't last, and neither does love.

Girl:

Marcus was gorgeous. I stared into his light brown eyes that lit up every time his perfect, light pink lips smiled. And my eyes skimmed over his short brown hair that he occasionally spiked up. I saw the way the girls looked at him, but he was mine, with his soft hands weighing down my own. The envious stares made me feel kind of good about myself, but I also hated it. It was a little embarrassing, always being stared at. I only had him because he didn't know how good-looking he really was.

"Why can't you just come to my game tonight?" Marcus whined.

"I'm sorry. My mom grounded me on Wednesday. I told you that before. Plus, she’s going on another one of her dates again. Besides, your dad will be there cheering you on."

He grunted, "Not this time, he's going out, too," he rolled his eyes. We've both been trying to figure out what these mysterious plans were about. I haven't met his dad yet, but he was single and so was my mom. But I never thought my mom would be the kind to date or anything.

"Well, I told you I'm sorry. I don't want you to be mad. I would even sneak out if I could; there's just no way -"

"No! I don't want you to risk getting in more trouble. I'll just call you after the game, okay?" he interrupted, running his hand through my dark, muddy-colored hair to have it land on the right side of my neck.

"Okay, fine. Good luck quarterback," I jokingly winked at him, and he smirked, lightly tapping his lips with mine. We separated to get to our classes. That smirk - I swear everything about him was perfect. I've only known him since this year. He's in my first class and since the first day of school, he couldn't take his beautiful eyes off of me. I didn't mind. And when we finally started talking, I didn't think it would ever go this far. But apparently, he couldn't resist my charming laugh and hazel eyes. All I know is, my laugh is close to booming, and sometimes I even cackle myself to a snort.

Woman:

"Isn't it incredible that we found each other, even after all this time?"

“It is.” He smiled. “And now that we’re moving in together; it’s almost hard to believe.”

“Don’t charge into things yet, you still have to meet Savannah, and I have to meet your son. Hopefully it won’t be too rushed for them.”

I thought about my daughter Savannah and how hard she took the divorce 2 years ago. Her grades in school dropped, she stayed home all the time and only said a few words to me a day. She missed her father. She was so upset, and I couldn’t help but feel guilty that I did that to her. But after a few therapy sessions and mom-and-daughter talks, she straightened out and started, slowly but surely, being my sociable, loving daughter I’m used to and always knew. Right now, I was just hoping she wouldn’t feel too uncomfortable about another man in her life. I’m sure she’s never had a boyfriend either, so she may not be used to other guys around but her father, who left after the divorce.

“Well, when can I meet her?” He asked as he picked up the check to my favorite restaurant.

“Tomorrow should be fine.”

“Marie, it’s Saturday, shouldn’t she be out with her friends?” He assumed.

“Not if she’s grounded. She should be right where I left her.”

Girl:

“Wait, what? You’re dating someone? And I’m just meeting him today?”

“Lower your voice, Savannah.” My mom scowled. “I’m sorry I told you last minute, but at least I told you right now.” Deep down, I had thought she was seeing someone and was secretly hoping she wasn’t. Now that she said it, she made it certain and it hurt more than I’d expected it to.

“Who is he? How do you even know him?”

“I’ve known him for a long time, since I was a teenager. He’s bringing his son so we can talk about everything.”

“Whatever.” I sat with my arms crossed on the couch in our living room and just stared at the linoleum. I bet she didn’t even know this guy. And his son; who was he? Why does this all feel so sudden and why didn’t she tell me?! I know as much as a kindergartener does taking the SAT’s.

Woman:

He knocked at the door a second time as I opened it, and we smiled at each other.

“Come on in.” He led his son in first. He was handsome, with short, spiked hair and a muscular body. I led them to the living room where Savannah was still sitting with her arms crossed.

“Honey, this is Charles and his son...”

“Marcus.” Charles finished for me.

“And this is - ” After looking up at Marcus, Savannah got up and ran to her room and didn’t even let me finish.

“Savannah! I’m sorry;” I looked at Charles, “I don’t know what she was thinking.”

“I think I do.” Marcus said, looking perplexed.

Girl:

My mom knocked softly and squeezed through the cracked door. I really need a lock.

“Please, go away.” I mumbled from my bed and turned on my left side to face the wall.

“Savannah, I’m so sorry, I didn’t know, you should’ve told me you had a boyfriend.” She walked over to my bed and sat at the edge. She rubbed my back to comfort me. It wasn’t working. This was like a stupid drama movie.

“And you should’ve told me you were dating your precious high school sweetheart earlier! This whole thing could’ve been prevented.”

“I doubt it, but you’re right. I should have told you sooner. Marcus and Charles left, but Marcus told me to give this to you.” I flopped on my back to face her. She held a folded note out and I snatched it from her and gave her the stink eye.

“Don’t worry,” She put her hands up in defense. “I didn’t read it. You guys are cute together, though. I was about your age when I met Charles, you know. Once, we carved our initial into this huge tree that we always went to - ”

“Mom!”

“Sorry, sorry! Leaving now.”

She got up, left the room and carefully closed the door behind her. I took a deep breath and unfolded the paper to reveal what was inside.
This doesn’t change anything. I still love you, Savannah.
A tear rolled down my cheek, but I still found myself smiling.

A school project I decided to post!