Lead Me Into Forever | Teen Ink

Lead Me Into Forever

By countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas
countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison
"Don't think or judge. Just listen." -Sarah Dessen

I sit isolated in the cafeteria, silently eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The environment is noisy, crowded, and bright. Teenagers surround me, chattering away, yet no one comes to make conversation with me. That’s okay, I think, I’d rather be alone anyway…Right? I instantly scanned the room, naturally longing for someone, anyone, to come to my aid. Obviously, trying to fool myself was not the way to go. Feeling unsuccessful and lame, I hid behind my current read, The Truth About Forever, and devoured Macy and Wes’s successful relationship. Ahhh, if only I could be wanted as much as they long for each other. As I continue to read silently, I become so immersed in the book that I am unaware of my surroundings. It takes the steady knock of a tan hand on the table to separate me from my novel. Irritated, I slowly exaggerate my upward glance to find the culprit’s face. First, I take in the hand, then a grey t-shirt with a purple hoodie. Still scanning, I start to make out this person’s face. Holy crap! My mind says. This was no ordinary person. This was indeed a hot guy who was staring at Who, may you ask? ME! I looked into his light green eyes and sighed, then instantly wondered what in the whole wide world was he doing sitting next to me, the band nerd and English freak? “Hii-ii,” I stammered. “Hey,” he replied with a nod. An awkward silence was amongst us as I stared at him in a creepy manner. “So, whatcha’ reading?” He was obviously trying to make conversation. I unfroze my eyes and followed his to my selection. Wait, what did he say? “I’m sorry, what?” I asked. “I said, ‘What are you reading?’ It looks like a good book.” Oh, right, my book. I read the title to him and when he questioned my as to what it was about, I happily explained it, my inner nerd coming out. “You see, Macy is supposed to be with Jason, the boring nerd who is at Brain Camp, but instead she likes Wes, who works at the Wish Catering Company. She meets him when Wes’s brother, Bert, jumps out of the bushes in an attempt to scare Wes, although he was unaware that the ‘Wes’ walking by was actually Macy. That’s how they first met, pretty cool, huh?” “Yeah…” I didn’t wait for him to answer. “Then Macy gets to work with the Wish Catering Company while hanging out with Wes and the rest of the gang. The two of them play Truth, a game where you have to tell the truth and answer with a question. Duh, because that’s what it’s called. They have secret kisses and long nights together. Man, I wish I had something like that. Wouldn’t that just be so cool?” I stopped abruptly and realized that I had been rambling on. “Oops,” was all I could mutter. I was surprised when he looked at me. I could tell his eyes were pondering something, but what? He finally broke the silence with his unbelievable words. “Wow, that sounds like quite the story. I’m impressed.” I couldn’t believe it. This boy-this gorgeous boy- thought that a book I was reading sounded amazing? (Thank you, Sarah Dessen!!) Dumbfounded, I tried to speak, though my vocal cords would not create any noise. I watched as he pulled out his own copy of the book. “Wha-?” I started. “My sister is reading this same book. It’s the only thing she’s been talking about for days on end. She’ll spend hours curled up in her room devouring the ‘sacred words,’ as she calls them.” He ended with a red carpet smile. “Then why would you listen to me ramble on about a book you already knew about?” I questioned him. “I wanted to hear you talk about it.” I blushed bright red, trying hard to conceal my face, but it was very difficult due to my lack of actual blushing. When I regained focus, I said, “Why me?” He replied courageously, “I see you sitting in this exact same blue chair in the very same corner each and every day. Even though you look so lonely, you’re always so happy wrapped up in a book. The words must be like magic to you or something.” True, I nodded. “Anyway, I noticed you when you looked up one day while you were moving a strand of hair from your face. I was captivated by your sterling blue eyes and your face. I just didn’t know when to make a move. I told some of my buddies that I was interested in you, but they laughed it off and took me as a joke. They said that you were an ‘English freak’ and a ‘band geek.’ They, my best friends, told me to ignore you and leave you ‘forever lonely’. I haven’t talked to them since. So, yeah, that’s why I’m here. Don’t worry, I’m not a stalker or anything,” he cued me in with a half smile and a nudge. My mouth hung open and my arm tingled as his words sunk in. I have never, ever had someone, let alone a boy, declare their feelings in front of me. “That is the sweetest thing someone has ever said to me,” I blurted. He smiled sheepishly and so did I and I felt as if we were elementary kids all over again. He reached for my hand and I grasped his firmly in return, wanting to take in every part of him. “Where do we go from here?” I asked. “I know,” he started, “My name’s Brad, what’s yours?” “Emma,” I replied. “Nice to meet you, Emma.” I giggled at his formality. “So, why me?” I needed to know. What he said next changed my life for the greater good. “The Truth is, Two is better than one.” Smiling, I scooted closer to him and laid my head on his chest as he protectively wrapped his strong arms around me, and we lead ourselves into our blissful, happy Forever.

Partially inspired by Sarah Dessen's "The Truth About Forever" and "Two Is Better Than One" by Boys Like Girls. I honestly don't know why I like this song so much, since all I listen to is country, but there's something real about it that makes me feel happy. Although this has never happened to me, I hope someone out there can relate to this piece!