The girl with the red gloves | Teen Ink

The girl with the red gloves

October 5, 2011
By Jesse-Marie- PLATINUM, Freehold, New Jersey
Jesse-Marie- PLATINUM, Freehold, New Jersey
46 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To love is to live. Without love, what is life?"


"Fine, mom, yeah I got it. No, I won't skip my homework. Yes fine. I got it! Bye. Love you too." I sighed and rolled my eyes. My mother acted like I was 5. I wasn't 5, not even close. I was a senior, which meant I'd be on my own with a family and a job and all that jazz in just a little more then 4 years. I couldn't wait to go to college. Well, I don't know really. Part of me wanted to leave and fly free, but part of me stayed grounded to my roots.

I had forgotten where I was walking to with all the thinking I was doing. Library, I have to get as many books as I can before January. I have this thing. It's a weird thing, but it's my thing. Every December I get as many good books as I can before January to read. I have to read all of them before the cold winter ends. Or else, I have failed myself.

I hate failing myself. Failing myself is basically losing, and I am very competitive. Even against myself. Weird, right? I trust myself completely... Wait, scratch that, I lie to myself all the time. See, you shouldn't believe anything I say.

But you really should because I am the one telling the story here! Yeah, believe me, because I'm always right. Well, sorta kinda mostly always right.

I opened the freezing metal doors and felt the room rush of library air. I wafted the glorious smell of warm hot chocolate, vanilla lattes, old books, and cheap perfume. I walked in and closed the door behind me. I pulled off both my red gloves and put them in my purse.

"Hi Sherri!" A light wispy voice called out my name. I knew the voice automatically, it was the old librarian Gwen. She was you basic stereotypical librarian really. Except, she didn't 'shush' you every ten seconds and she smelled of apple cinnamon.

"Hi Gwen, hows the day been?" I said while taking off my coat and placing it under my arm cautiously.

"Good, the new book order came in!" She handed me one. "Hope you find what you're looking for."

"Thank you."

And that was it, I was walking towards the romance section, and within seconds, I had already picked up a book I found interesting. I read the back and realized it was about a young marine and his girlfriend. I found it cute so I stuffed it under my arm, like my coat.

In isle three, I noticed something interesting and cute hiding among the rows of romance and fiction books. And no, I don't mean a book.

I hurried around the corner to get a better look. Where did he go? He wasn't there. I turned around and searched, I mean 'looked' for him. Let's be honest, I was running around like a child playing tag trying to find this piece of eye candy.

I noticed a interesting book on the floor so I picked it up. I read the back, and like all the others, put it under my arm. I stood back up straight and continued on with my quest for the hot guy in the sweater.

Having been unsuccessful for what seemed like hours, I decided to throw in the towel and I went to go check out my books on to my library card.

Our conversation was just a few quick nods and glances and I was all ready to go. I headed my way towards the door. I opened it slightly and felt the cool rush of crisp winter air. I sighed and put on my coat.

"Miss! Miss! You dropped your gloves!" A voice I've never heard called out to me. I turned to find my dream guy in front of me. I was speechless and gasped for words for a second.

"Thank you!" I managed to make myself sound like an idiot with my huge grin and wide eyes.

"You're welcome, say, you're even cuter then you were behind those selves." Man, he was even smoother then I expected. I blushed.

"Why thank you. My, you have a way with words."

"So they say. Anyway, you should call me sometime so we could get to know each other."

He smiled at me one last time and walked out.

"Wait! You never gave me your number!"

My face dropped. He kept on walking. I sighed deeply and grabbed my gloves and slid my freezing hand in. I felt something weird and flat inside. I grabbed it and pulled it out. I grinned from ear to ear.

He stuffed a note with his number on it into my glove.