Love Comes Naturally | Teen Ink

Love Comes Naturally

August 28, 2011
By smilesunshine PLATINUM, Puyallup, Washington
smilesunshine PLATINUM, Puyallup, Washington
34 articles 4 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're lucky enough to be different from everyone else, don't change to be the same." ~Taylor Swift


It was the beginning of the summer, only the third day. My closest group of friends always had a sleepover on the second day of summer. I was waiting for my ride home. It was just me and Annie, the hostess of this sleepover, we were lying on her bed chatting. We were exhausted from walking through her neighborhood in the stifling heat multiple times and getting sunburnt at the park the afternoon before.


“So do you think that you and Davis will last throughout the entire summer?” I asked her. Davis was her boyfriend, her first boyfriend.


“I hope so. I want us to last.”


“If you do, it’d be a true summer romance. I think those are the best.”


“Yeah?” Annie smiled, she was so innocent, not being allowed to date until now. She was what we called the Rebel Girl of the group.


“Yeah, last summer I dated this guy named Johnny, and believe me it was fantastic. I think the only reason why it didn’t last was because we were too busy. I had so many vacations planned and he was a camp counselor. So yeah, we didn’t work out. But I loved him all the same.”


“I hope that Davis and I will be able to see each other a lot. Maybe I’ll end up loving him also.” Annie’s eyes sparkled.


“Don’t get ahead of yourself,” I said smiling.


“I’ll try. He just makes me feel so… Bubbly. I can’t stop thinking of him. I can’t stop smiling when I read a text from him. I can’t stop wanting to see him. I can’t help from getting butterflies in my tummy when he tells me I’m pretty. I can’t restrain myself from wanting to scream to the world about how happy I am when I’m with him. He’s just so wonderful. I didn’t know I could feel so much at once.” Annie said giggling at the end.


“I think I know the feeling,” I said running my hands through my hair, “Johnny, last summer made me feel that way.”


“It’s a wonderful feeling, isn’t it?”


“Yes it is.”


“Do you like anyone?” Annie asked me.


“No,” I said, “I haven’t for a while. I haven’t felt that way about someone truly since well, last summer with Johnny.”


“Oh? Why not?”


“I just haven’t. I haven’t found that person who lets me feel that way.”


“That’s understandable.”


“Well, all year I had been searching for a relationship, and for love, and I got nowhere. I didn’t find it. I only got hurt. So in the end I stopped just where I began. So I’ve made a promise with myself that I am not going to search for a relationship. I’m not going to waste time getting hurt trying to find that one guy. If it’s right it’ll happen. If not, something will get in the way and we won’t be together. I’m just not going to search. I guess you just can’t plan love.”


“Emmy, that makes perfect sense. That’s really smart.”


“I just don’t want to get hurt. So I’m going to enjoy life just spending time with my friends.”


“I like that plan. It means we get Emmy all to ourselves, no need to share her with a guy!” Annie laughed.


“I like that sounds of that,” I said smiling wryly.

***


Three weeks left of summer. That’s when it happened. My promise to myself had been kept, and it was going great. I hadn’t felt so happy and so free in a long time. I wouldn’t mind meeting that guy now, but I was in no rush.


“Hey there,” he said to me as I sat down on the bench next to him. I was at the county fair, waiting for my friend to get back from the car.


I had seen him before, we must’ve passed each other earlier or something. “Hey, how are you?”


“Good, though it’s kind of hot out.” He said.


“I know, but I love the sunshine, it’s perfect.” I said smiling, “it makes it more like summer.”


“Eh, I’d rather have the autumn weather. I like it when it’s cooler.”


“Oh okay. Well then you should be able to handle the few sunny days we get here over the summer. In the Pacific Northwest, it’s always overcast and grey.”


“True. Hey, I’m Bentley, by the way,” he said.


I looked at him truly for the first time, he had dark sea blue eyes, short crew cut blonde hair, and chiseled features.


“I’m Emmy,” I said.


“It’s a pleasure to meet to Emmy,” Bentley said.


“You too,” I said.


“I’m going to have to go, but here, you should text me sometime. I would really like that.” Bentley said handing me a piece of paper after he jotted down his number.


“Thanks, I will.” I put the paper in my pocket.


“I’ll see you later, Emmy.” He said giving me a wave.


I looked at him and waved, feeling a light and airy feeling in my stomach. I wondered if that was the start of butterflies infesting my stomach, just like Annie said she got when she was with Davis.

***


Three days of summer were left. It was ticking down, I couldn’t help but to wish it could last all year. To not have to start school again, not have to go to work, not have to wake up early and go to bed before eleven. Most of all, I wanted it to last all year just so that I could have more time with Bentley Riley.


In my mind, it was like all the memories with him were on replay. From when we first met, to our first kiss, then when we went to the water park, the nights I stayed up late sneaking phone calls just whispering so I couldn’t be heard, the time he met my parents for the first time, when we kissed in the woods behind my house, and when I fell asleep in his arms. I couldn’t stop thinking of him, it made me want to scream with happiness. I got butterflies in my stomach every time we touched. I smile every time I saw his name or picture on my phone. I loved this feeling. It wasn’t forced, it wasn’t planned, it just happened. It was natural.


Bentley, I just wanted you to know that you are the most amazing guy I have ever met. I can’t get you off my mind. Thanks the stars I met someone like you, babe. I sent him this text message wanting him to know just exactly how I felt. I wasn’t sure if it was adequate to my feelings, but it would have to suffice. This love came naturally, and it was the best love.


The author's comments:
I strongly believe that you cannot plan love, you cannot time it, you cannot look for it. If your heart is always searching, will you ever find a home? The best kind of love comes naturally, it isn't forced. :)