Prada in June | Teen Ink

Prada in June

By Atticus SILVER, Wenatchee, Washington
Atticus SILVER, Wenatchee, Washington

She deserves to be written~

It’s been five days, five days since I saw Jason last, when he finally told me I was beautiful. He noticed! All the times I dressed up for him, all the times I put up with his ex-b****y girlfriend who treated him like trash, all the casual passes I made on him without knowing if he truly understood my deep feelings all finally seemed worth it! All the times I looked up and found him staring at me with his gorgeous, dark eyes with their sexy lashes and…sigh of course he wasn’t just spacing out like I thought, he actually was seeing me, and he actually cared.
Why hasn’t he contacted me then? Not a blip of a text?

Well…that doesn’t mean anything. I mean talk about being clingy, sooo unattractive. Right.
I swivel my chair around and grab my purse. Lunch time! I stand up from my chair and self consciously run my hands down my deep purple skirt and my white billowy blouse that accented my neckline perfectly, and made my way to the elevators.

“Hey Caroline, I’m going to lunch, wanna join?” I shout going past my fellow cubicle colleague who has my favorite Prada shoes with the bows. Too bad I can’t hate her seeing as she’s so sweet.

“Oh thanks, June, but I can’t, Carey has been riding my a** on these damn designs so I had better just finish them once and for all.”

I cringed sympathetically, “Ugh, not a good picture.”

Walking up to the lift and pressing the down arrow, I waited for the familiar ding! That would signal the doors opening. Looking out of the gigantic windows that overlooked one of the most fantastic views of New York City I couldn’t help feeling a little bit smug. I truly worked in a beautiful place. Everything was so large with so much gorgeous glass and big office doors and actually decent cubicles with great working space that I was allowed to decorate myself. It was almost perfect; it was sometimes boring but it beat a lot of other jobs I could have had. I really was lucky…

The elevator opened and I stepped in, hitting the button for the lobby.

Why doesn’t he call? Isn’t this where he’s supposed to not get enough of me and to ask me out on a date while holding something sweet like a small bouquet of lilies or tickets to my favorite concert? Well maybe not the concert…he probably doesn’t remember what bands or artists I like.

After stopping on the fourth floor for two older men who must have been in their late forties, the elevator finally let me out and I hurried across the busy main floor of the building that hosted the magazine I worked for, Fashion & Dreams along with five others, and out into the busiest city in the world. God! I loved being a New Yorker!

Two blocks away was my favorite bakery/café that I almost always went to on my lunch break and it was my destination today. Business partners looking sharp in tailored suits and women in heels like mine followed along with me as I crossed the first crosswalk.

In a city this big with so much activity it was easy to forget about Jason…almost. God, I had to get him out of my head. It almost was a dream when I thought of the whole scene. How we both went out for drinks without anyone else. It felt like a date!

I sighed, God, I’m gonna be single forever… My head jerked up from looking at my feet and I searched for the voice I could have sworn had called my name.

“June! Over here!” Oh my God, it was him! He was stepping out of a flower shop staring at me with the sweetest grin.

“Jason! How are you? What are you doing?” I asked hurrying over and looking at him curiously as he tried to hide something behind his back.

“Uhh, coming to see you actually. I wanted to ask you something,”

Oh God, he’s adorable!

He suddenly brought out the cutest, most beautiful bouquet of white lilies I had ever seen and held them up to my face. “Will you go out with me?”

I can only imagine what my face looked like, as I lovingly took the flowers as if they would break. “Of course, I’ll go out with you.”

Something that came from personal experience.

Atticus SILVER said...
Atticus SILVER, Wenatchee, Washington

She deserves to be written~

Thanks a lot for your comment, it was really helpful. I think I'll take some of your advice on my personal draft. =)

NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

Aww, this was cute!!!  The first half of this was great, you got to know the characters, and you got to get a feel for how much June liked Jason.The second half I loved just as much.  Ahh, when two love birds meet!  The one thing I thought was weird was how Jason asked June out.  Not many people say "Will you go out with me?"  It's usually "Wanna go to the movies?" or "Do you want to grab a bite?" . "Will you go out with me" is a little formal, and I felt the same way about June's answer.  Oh, and one last random thing, when you said, "Walking up to the lift and pressing the down arrow, I waited for the familiar ding! That would signal the doors opening."  I think you might want to put "ding!" in quotes to show that it's only the "ding!" that has the exclamation point and not the whole sentance.

Anway, great story!

Can you check out my story, "Encounter"?