The Silence | Teen Ink

The Silence

By Basketball4everr GOLD, Smithtown, New York
Basketball4everr GOLD, Smithtown, New York

The tender ruby red of Matt’s blood exploded in my taste buds, and stained the corners of my mouth. Why was I finding blood to be so enticing? Why was I drinking it? Was this really how blood tasted? I woke up with a cold sweat. It was only a dream, but a dream too good to be true, or is it?

I wandered down the hall to the ladies room on the third floor. It was eerily quiet. So quiet, that you could hear a pin drop. I felt my heart rate pounded in my chest as fast as a humming birds wings. Even though I didn’t see anyone around me, I felt a presence.

“Hello?” I called out.

Silence answered me. I kept walking, picking up my pace a little. I was almost at the door when I saw a shadow in the corner of my eye.

“Who’s there come out.” Silence answered me again.
I turned back around, and had my hand on the door to enter the restroom when someone grabbed me from behind covering my mouth so I couldn’t scream. I felt something stab my leg so I couldn’t walk, and then two razor sharp pinpricks in my neck. My eyes closed into intense ebony that would forever surround my soul as my blood poured out in rivers onto the school floor…
I remember hearing the screams, the sobs, and the horror stricken students all around me, but I couldn’t open my eyes. I could hear them…but why? Am I still alive? Why is there a blissfully painful fire running through my veins? Why? The last voice I heard was Matt’s, “Oh no Misty, Misty no.”…
My soft eyes opened to the silence again. I was laying on a bed in the dark with a full moon shining on me. Where am I, and who brought me here?
I walked over to a mirror. The girl in the reflection was absolutely breathtaking, and couldn’t be me. The pale flawless creamy skin, glowing piercing blue eyes, and my loose wavy brown hair. I was stunning. I looked more closely, and I saw two razor sharp fangs in the corners of my mouth…
Blood was smeared all over my mouth as I ripped the flesh of a dear apart. My hunger would soon be satisfied. It was midnight on a cool April night. It has almost been two weeks since I discovered what I’ve become…a vampire. I was stronger, faster, and my senses more defined. It was exhilarating. I could feel all the heartbeats of those who slept calmly in their homes.
I’ve never had human blood, but I crave it. I know whose blood I want, and I’ll get it somehow. I deeply missed my family and friends, I was all alone now. I could walk in the sun and not burn, but I have to be careful of who sees me, because my whole school, family, and others think I’m dead. I have to see them though.
I raced through the night swiftly to what used to be my house, and let myself in. I went to my parents’ room. My mom was sleeping gently, but I could tell she was restless. My heart ached, I felt close to tears. I wish I could talk to her, but knew I couldn’t. I gave her a light feathered kiss on her cheek before going to my father. I gave him a kiss too, and vowed to check in on them often.
Back in the still night, I knew what I wanted. This was the night when I’d go to him. Matt…
I was on the roof ledge walking to get to his window. I looked in, and found him sleeping comfortably. Matt wasn’t my boyfriend, but we talked, and were somewhat close. I knew he cared for me even though he’d never show it. I also cared for him. Opening his window my heart kept beating faster and faster.
I sat on his bed, ran my hands softly on his cheeks, and traced the outline of his smooth warm living lips. He stirred, and I froze. What should I do? Am I actually ready to do this? Would I be strong enough? Would he? His eyes opened and stared into mine.
“Misty? Is that you?”
I just looked at him.
“It can’t be.” The words left his lips as if he couldn’t believe his own eyes.
I took is hand in mine.
“Matt, it’s really me. I know you don’t understand. You can’t tell anyone I’m here, but I know I can trust you.” I gave him a weak, but meaningful smile.
“Are you a dream?”

“I don’t know. What do you define as a dream? Something that isn’t real, but you wish it could be? Or a succession of images, thoughts, or emotions passing through the mind during sleep.” I looked at him and pinched his arm.

“Ouch. What’d you do that for?”

“I can’t be a dream, your wide awake, are you not?” I responded.

Then he broke…

“Oh Misty I thought you were dead. When I saw you lying on the floor lifeless with all the blood. But how is it possible?”

“Technically, I’m the living dead, but I’ve become something. I’m not exactly human. No one can know Matt.”

“You’re not making any sense. Living dead? What the hell? Misty you know I won’t tell anyone. Just tell me what’s going on.” He squeezed my hand.

“I don’t want you to be afraid, or leave.” I said sadly.

“Misty, I’d never be scared or leave you.”

“Never say never…” my voice trailed

His eyes locked on mine.

“I’ll show you.”

“W-” I put my finger to his lips.

My fangs slid down. I smiled into the moonlight, so he could see.

I felt him hesitate in my grip.

“You’re a vampire?” his voice barley audible.

I nodded.

He didn’t say another word; he just tilted his head back.

“What are you doing?”

“Turn me.”

“Are you crazy?” I was shocked at his bravery.

“Yes, but I can’t live without you, and have that secret bound within me. I want to be with you.” His honesty showed in his eyes.

I smiled, and kissed his lips. I tilted his head back and saw the rushing vain. I hungrily bit down, but tried to cause him as little pain as possible.

So this is what human blood tastes like…more importantly Matt’s blood.

lol thank you

Kat2292 BRONZE said...
Kat2292 BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio

"If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0." ~Mark
"Life's like a novel with the end ripped out." ~Rascal Flatts

Wow. I didn't expect a vampire story to be so creative! I really enjoyed it needless to say.

writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

That's really good, I like how it's written! It's a lot like Twilight, but still pretty creative! Please check out some of my work, that'd be appreciated! :)

thank u :) n yeah maybe ill work on a sequal

altimesmiles said...

i really liked this story and you should have another one to go with it : )

I hope you liked Frostbite- i'd love some feedbackk - thankss :)