Music Lovers | Teen Ink

Music Lovers

By Love_Kills_the_Blind PLATINUM, Fort Collins, Colorado
Love_Kills_the_Blind PLATINUM, Fort Collins, Colorado

"Never regret anything, at one point its exactly what you wanted."

Music blared through my headphones whipping away all present thoughts. Slowly my body begins to liquefy into the notes. Blood pumping in time with the music’s heart beat. The drums are my deep breaths cleansing my lungs. The guitar is the energy solidly flowing through my veins. And the singer holds the place of my thoughts. Hidden thoughts buried deep in a cave, like my buried treasure.
I take a deep breath of my music and slowly let it fill every pore. Goosebumps rise, a smile crawls across my lips. But another music junkie waves my attention, unwillingly tearing me from my music.
“What are you listening to?” The stranger asked. He had dark long hair that skimmed his stormy blue eyes.
“Panic at the disco.” I answer removing a dark red strand of hair from my face.
“Mind if I share? My i-pod is dead.” He presents his identical lime green i-pod’s blackened screen.
“Sure why not?” I gave him my right earphone and adjusted my paintings to fit him in the seat.
“I’m Jake by the way.” His hand was bent awkwardly offering a shake. I took it and we shared an electrified touch. We look at each other for a moment. I’m the first to look away.
“Kendra.” I say before I realize he still has my hand. I gently take it back and slide it into my coat pocket.
He smiles warmly at my shyness. “Beautiful name for such a beautiful girl.”
“Thank you.” My cheeks grow warm telling me that by now they are a bright red.
“So you paint?” Jake indicated to the canvases piled against the window.
“A little. I sell them downtown.”
“May I see one?” Something about him melted me inside.
“Ya, sure.” I unveil my favorite piece and sit it in the middle of us. Jake’s expression shifts from enthusiasm to something deeper. The look on his face and the seriousness of his eyes intrigued me. “You don’t like it?”
“No, it’s,” He met my eyes, those stormy sea eyes filled with wonder and passion. “It’s incredible.”
“Really? I didn’t think it was that good.” I examined the work again. The smudges, the noticeable streaks, the imperfections.
“Almost as incredible as the girl who made them.” This confused me and thrilled me at the same time.
“We just met.”
“I know…it sounds cheesy I know but there’s just something about you.” Jake looked at me with excitement.
“Well ditto, Buddy.” We laughed softly and continued to talk.
Something amazing happened right there. We talked and laughed and my precious music, my life’s song, became background noise to something even more intoxicating.