Our Summer-Chapter 2-Getting Ready | Teen Ink

Our Summer-Chapter 2-Getting Ready

November 1, 2009
By Drama_Queen13 DIAMOND, Nantucket, Massachusetts
Drama_Queen13 DIAMOND, Nantucket, Massachusetts
51 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live Life Like A Song."


The hot June day was cooling down into a summer's night, the sun was setting just over the horizon sending beautiful shades of pink through the fading clouds. I had just finished dinner as fast as I possibly could so I would have at least 2 hours to get ready for the party.
I just hope it'll be enough time.
After spending about 15 minutes tearing apart my closet, and still having no clue what I was going to wear to Dana's, I called LuLu in a panic. The phone rang the average 3 rings before she answered.
"Hello?" answered LuLu, chewing loudly on potato chips.
"Lu! Help! I've got no idea what to wear to this party and-"
"TONY'S going and you LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEE him." LuLu gently teased.
"LuLu!" I scolded blushing, her brother Jack was good friends with Tony & he could easily hear her insanely loud voice through the thin walls of their mom's condo.
"Sum! Jack is at a concert!" she replied mocking my voice. I could hear her smile through the phone.
"I really need you to-"
"I'm on my way. Get out all your clothes, make-up, and accessories." LuLu instructed before ending the call. She knows me better then I know myself sometimes. I dialed Sylvia's number, I'd need her too. She's Tony's 6th grade sister, she knows him just as well as I do.
"Hhhheeeelllllooooo?" sang Sylvia, the forever optimist.
"Sylvia, Listen can you-?"
"Save it cowgirl, I'm on my way." Sylvia interrupted before ending the call with a click.
Am I really that predictable?
The door bell rang, and my two saviors barged into my room 5 minutes later. They took in the absolute mess I had made in my effort to look perfect for this party.
"Tony loves red. But he thinks girls look best in blue." Sylvia said dragging up my new blue tank top from the pile of clothes.
"But-how-?' I began
"I knew It had to happen sooner or later. Plus, I saw you guys holding hands from my window." said Sylvia with a mischievous sparkle in her eyes. I smiled, knowing how much Sylvia loved spying on her brother and then using anything she could against him later.
"Ok so we've got-" I started, only to be cut off yet again.
"And guys, even golden boys like Tony, think miniskirts are hot. But since its Tony, and you don't want to look like a hooker, it shouldn't be too short." Said LuLu yanking on the pile of clothes until she successfully retrieved my denim skirt.
"Ok but what-" I started trying to finish at least one sentence.
"And boots. You've got to just be you, and you're a Texas Girl. Texas Girls wear boots." Sylvia cut in chomping away nosily on her gum.
I was about to attempt to fit in a 'thank you' but decided to not even bother, I knew LuLu & Sylvia, and they would just cut me off again.
After about an hour or so of makeup done by LuLu, Hair styled professionally by Sylvia, and clothes put on carefully by me, I was ready. Then we headed over to LuLu's, and lastly Sylvia's because they didn't want Tony to see me yet. After the longest & most stressful two hours of my life, we were all ready. LuLu's copper hair was curled to perfection & bounced every time she walked, her already beautiful eyes highlighted by gold eye shadow, and she wore a silver top that shone in the light. Sylvia straightened her sun-kissed blonde hair, had light & very natural eye makeup on, and an extremely hot black dress & the boots I got her for her birthday. They looked amazing, I hadn't even looked in the mirror yet, I was almost afraid to. I've never been the prettiest girl around, just plain.
"Summer, you just HAVE to look in the mirror! You look great don't be nervous!" urged Sylvia dragging me towards the mirror. After a few minutes of useless struggling against LuLu & Sylvia, I reluctantly looked in the mirror.
And gasped.
The girl the mirror was reflecting was every bit as beautiful as LuLu & Sylvia. Her sandy blonde hair cascaded in soft curls down her back, her freckles that had always made her so self-conscience seemed to dance across her nose delicately, her outfit was HOT & so very mature, her green eyes shone with tears of joy at the realization & shock that this beautiful girl was none other than shy & plain me, Summer.
"You guys!" I cried out happily embracing them tightly, "Thank you so much!" I said hugging them even tighter.
"Girls! LuLu's mom is here to drive you! Hurry up!" Sylvia's mom called from downstairs. The three of us bounded down the stairs & spent the whole ride gossiping & giggling. My stomach was flip-flopping insanely as we got out of the car, and walked into what was sure to be one of the most important nights of my life.


The author's comments:
The 2nd Chapter of Our Summer, the girls are getting ready for Dana's party & Summer is extremely nervous. Sorry if this one is alittle boring, its just a quick leading-up into the next chapter which i promise is more intresting. Enjoy!