Room #346 (Part 1) | Teen Ink

Room #346 (Part 1)

October 16, 2009
By mellow_melon PLATINUM, Jefferson, Maryland
mellow_melon PLATINUM, Jefferson, Maryland
41 articles 14 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but my the number of moments that take our breath away."


Once Mom and Adrian left, it was just you and I. Alone, in the house. I didn’t know what would happen. We would probably just make small talk until they got back, but I didn’t know what to expect. What would happen between you and I when we were left alone? Only two years apart, knowing each other for ten years. You were like a brother, except I knew I felt more for you than just that.

It was last year when I fell in love with you. One day you came over, looking for Adrian and I opened the door, in sweats and a cami, with no makeup on. I stared at you, shirtless because it was so hot outside, and you stared at me back. Then I let you in, and we acted like nothing ever happened. You’ve seen me in just my pajamas before, so you weren’t surprised seeing me that way. I wasn’t exactly surprised about your bare chest, either, because we’ve been swimming so many times in the same pool, the same ocean, the same lake.

Ever since that day, I couldn’t stop thinking about you. You changed in my eyes. You used to be just my brother’s best friend, a brother to me. But all of a sudden, you were something more. I wanted you to call me your friend, not your friend’s sister. I wanted you to see something more in me too, other than just the little sibling. The younger sister, yet I didn’t hang out with your brother, who was my own age, I hung out with the older guys. With you.

So that day, when they left us alone, I didn’t know what to look forward to, what to dread, what to brace myself for. It was like my mind was washed away with a clean slate, and I had no traces of memory at all, except for the memories with you. I could only think about you. I could only hope for what might happen.

We heard the door close, and we watched the car pull out of the driveway. You turned off the T.V. and turned to face me. But you didn’t say anything. You just sat there, studying me for a little bit.

I tried to joke around, “Hey I was watching that, thank you very much.”

You just smiled, shook your head a little bit, “No you weren’t.”

“How do you know?”

“Because I know you. You hate the Discovery Channel.”

“Yeah, well…”

You did know me too well. You knew almost everything about me, yet we weren’t even best friends. But you talked to me, you were always nice, even when you were mean to the other younger kids, the same age as me, you were never cruel to me. You were always sweet, as sweet as chocolate on my taste buds. I wanted to taste the chocolate in you that day. I wanted you to kiss me on the lips, and let me taste the sugary sweetness that you were filled with.

“Remi…” I loved hearing you say my name.

“Yes, Jesse?”

“Come on over here,” you patted the seat next to you on the couch. I got up from the chair I was settled in and sat right next to you, just like you were telling me to do. I would do anything for you.

You followed me with your eyes as I took a seat next to you, a smile playing on your lips. Then your blue crystal windows of your soul bored into my green ones. My heart was beating fast, and I was sure you could hear it. I was sitting so close to you, every nerve on my body was aware of you. There was a cloud of love around you and when I got too close, I felt like I would pass out from being so overwhelmed with this feeling.

“Remi, I should tell you something,” you started.

“What?” Thoughts raced through my head. Would you say something good? Bad? Would you say something that would break my heart?

“Well, I don’t think of you as just a sister, you know,” I guess you thought of me as a sister the same way I thought of you as a brother. Until that changed.

“I knew it! You’re finally admitting that I might actually be a friend!” I laughed a little, trying to lift some of that heavy blanket of seriousness.

“You’ve been my friend for as long as I can remember, but Remi, seriously. You’re more to me than just a friend, too.”

“Let me guess…I’m your BEST friend.”

He chuckled, “No, Remi. I want to be more than just friends. I want something more.”


“What do you mean?” I whispered. I couldn’t find my voice.

“What I’m trying to say is, well, Remi…I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“Really?” I loved how your eyes brightened up at the idea that I wanted you, the same way you wanted me. You looked so happy at that moment.

“Yes, really.”

“Then you won’t mind if I do this,” You smiled, a very mischievous smile.

You put one hand on the small of my back, the other in my hair. You leaned, in and I inhaled your scent. I loved the way you smelled, just a hint of cologne, not too overwhelming, and the perfect balance of dirty and clean. You never smelled too fresh, never too sweaty.

Your perfect lips touched mine ever so softly, and I think it was the best moment of my whole entire life. We stayed that way for what seemed like hours, until you pulled away.

“I think I hear the car coming in the garage,” you explained. And sure enough, a couple seconds later, we heard the car doors slam, and footsteps in the garage, leading up to the door. The door creaked open, and revealed me sitting so close to you. You quickly pulled your arm away from around my waist before Adrian could see.

“Hey guys. What’s up?” Adrian said, “I got my learner’s permit! Finally!”

“Awesome! Now you can drive us places,” I laughed.

“Yep, no more crazy driving from this old lady,” He pointed to Mom, laughing.

Mom didn’t mind, she just laughed along with us.

Dinnertime, and you sat in between Adrian and I like normal. So many dinners you’ve had with us over the years, so many nights spent over here, so many days playing out in our connected yards, since we lived right next door. You were always so funny; you made me almost spit out my drink every time I took a sip, because I was always laughing so hard. You found it hilarious whenever I would spill my drink. I was such a klutz, I spilled something almost every single meal. You thought it was cute though, and that’s all that mattered.

You gave me secret glances from your seat at the dinner table. When I passed you the corn, your hand brushed against mine and you smiled and mouthed, “I love you.” Luckily, Adrian and Mom didn’t see because they were engrossed in their own conversation. You spent the night that evening, and when Adrian was asleep, you snuck into my room.

You opened my door slowly and I lifted my eyelids, where I see you’re bright blue eyes looking right at me. I heard my radio playing softly in the background, the perfect background music for that night.

“I just wanted to come in and say goodnight,” You said.

“Okay,” I smiled, “goodnight.”

You kissed me on my lips again, then pulled away and brushed the back of your hand against my cheek. “I love you,” you whispered in my ear.

You turned off my radio, and sang your own song softly to me, the perfect lullaby. You whispered your tune in my ear, until I fell asleep, you breath against my neck.
I didn’t know when you left my bedside, but when I opened my eyes the next morning, you were gone. I guessed you were already home. But then I realized that everyone was gone. Mom, Adrian, you. I made my way down the stairs to see if anyone left me a note on the kitchen table. I found one, and brought it close to my face, because I hadn’t put in my contacts yet.

Remi-
Jesse had to go home early this morning to go to practice at the high school. They got in a car accident on the way there. Adrian and I are at the hospital. Jesse’s dad was fine in the accident, but Jesse’s room number is 346. Get Jesse’s mom to bring you when you wake up.
-Mom


The author's comments:
I was trying to continue one of my stories I'm working on, when this idea popped into my head. So i opened a new document, and started typing. This is what happened. I hope you enjoy! P.S. I couldn't post the whole thing in one article, so look for Part 2!