The Losses of Love, and the Benefits. | Teen Ink

The Losses of Love, and the Benefits.

By WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas
WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas

"OW! Stop pulling my ear! THIS TIME I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!!!"

March 15... The day bad things always happen... That's the day Damon Wilcox happened to break up with me. That's the day I happened to break down in the girl's bathroom on the second floor. That's the day my ex-best friend Tracy Orleans told me she had been secretly dating Damon behind my back for a year.

It had started as a beautiful day. You know the drill. Sunny skies, 60degree weather, and the trees already having beautiful green leaves. I hate days like that. They always turn out bad. So, when you finally think something good is going to happen, a wave of horrible events hits you.
My name is Lydia Banks, and I live in Quantico, on a marine base. My father is a marine, my mother a housewife. So, I fit in perfectly to their little life. One of those straight A's, blond hair, blue eyed, pretty girls, who is popular. But, I'm not the popular type. Because no one likes a goth.

March 15, the day Damon broke up with me, I lost my popularity. I dyed my hair black, put on mass amounts of make-up, bought black clothing, and platform boots. I looked, and acted the part. My so called "friends" didn't care. To them I was just another little outcast.

It was amazing how much everyone seemed to gravitate away from me. Especially Damon. Like he was afraid I'd hurt him. Oh, please. I wouldn't harm a fly.

March 15th I lost love. And March 15 came and went. On March 16 we got a new student in class... Gregory Monroe. His mother had just gotten accepted into the Marine Core. He was charming, you know. Fair skin, gray, misty eyes, and a mop of dark brown hair.

The girls in my class fawned over him. It was "Gregory this." and "Gregory that." in all the hallways. I could scarcely believe my luck when his locker was placed next to mine. And at lunch? We had our first conversation right before lunch..."

"Hey." Greg had said coming up beside me.
"Oh, um, hello" I had replied. Oh I know, very witty. We talked a bit about our schedule's, then he asked if I could show him to lunch.

Little old Lydia, taking the hottie to lunch?! It was implausible... I had showed him to the lunchroom, and sat at my little outcast table. Believe it or not he came to sit by ME. Of all the pretty girls in the cafeteria... ME!

Tracy was checking him out, I could tell. And suddenly all the girls wanted to be my best friend. A pity really, since I would never take them back, being the skanks they were.

Damon, was suddenly all over me. Like he owned me or something. "Back off." He had told Greg as he sat next to me. I didn't understand! Just yesterday Damon hated me, and now he was my boyfriend again?
I exploded..."Damon. Just yesterday, you broke up with me, acted as if I didn't exist, got together with my ex-best friend, AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING HIM TO 'BACK OFF'?!?!"
Silence in the cafeteria... Guess I had yelled louder than I had realized. Damon just stared at me, jaw dropped. No one expected quiet Lydia Banks, with the Marine Corporal father to explode at Damon Wilcox, most popular guy in school.

Greg just shook his head, and started to laugh and laugh. "You actually broke up with HER??" He asked pointing at me. "Why would you give up something that great?"

It was unspoken, but from then on, Greg and I became very good friends. We had almost all our classes together, and he was always really nice to me. Suddenly, everyone's opinion of me changed. I was some amazing, untouchable, goddess!

Then April 3 rolled around... I decided it was time. I would ask out Greg. Once and for all. But... Just as I was about to, Tracy Orleans stepped up to him, and kissed him. He pushed her away...hard. But Tracy doesn't give up easily. So now I was stuck. If I was rejected in front of Tracy the whole school would drop me again... But I took the risk.

Just as Tracy was recovering from the shock of being pushed away, I asked "Greg? Do you wanna hit the movies with me?" He, obviously, said yes. I know, very cliche right?

Greg and I saw a lot of each other after that. On March 15 I thought I could never love again... April 3 changed it all. Tracy and Damon no longer go together, they ended up always fighting. I mean who wouldn't? They were COMPLETELY wrong for each other.

And now, life seems in order. I had love, Damon had nothing, and Tracy...well...She attracted another new kid...The dorkiest one I've ever seen. So what can I say? Apparently there's benefits to losing love.

I guess I just like romance, so I just wrote a nice little cliche romance I hope you guys enjoy.

1RaeOfSunshine SILVER, Montpelier, Vermont

Today you are you, that is truer than true.

Dr. Seuss

I love this piece! I think it's awesome. You put alot of personality and just the right amount of detail. Good job!

WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas

O.o, does that mean you don't like it? Or you think it's too sappy? <---confused.

DK16 said...
like a chick's diary

jennee21_ann GOLD, Helper, Utah

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul....wisdom is better than silver or gold."

"You can always close a book, but you can never close the mind of a writer."

wow :) a great piece! i like the cute romance you wrote about; so sweet and pure. i also like how you added in the theme "payback sucks". lol, very good all around :) check out my piece "take my heart and break it." i would LOVE your opinion on the piece :) keep writing!!

WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas

haha, thanks you guys!

TigerLynn GOLD said...
TigerLynn GOLD, Maysville, Kentucky

"She walks in beauty,
Like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes."
--Byron

I love your sarcasticness of the main girl! It is funny. Better than some other styles! KEEP IT UP GIRL!

KiraKira PLATINUM, Cardiff By The Sea, California

Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

I laughed when I finished reading this story. I laughed especially when Lydia confronts Damon and silences the entire cafeteria. That is pure comedy. I love this. It's so probable, so life-like. Way to go!

WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas

lol, well thanks all of you. Kinda hard to do happyish stories like that. It seems all of them end up bad...but this one turned out pretty good i guess... :)

Katy Perry said...
what happend after that did u guys ever kiss? did u guys ever make out? it was very nice u should write another peice it could be like a suqule. just like twilight. nice job.

Bookaddict said...
I liked this story, cliche or not i'm a fun of this kind of stuff. Besides, i think that the word "romance" is the only cliche thing about it. :)

Ruberz GOLD said...
Ruberz GOLD, Dearborn, Michigan
Beautiful and full of meaning. Never give up on love it told me. =]

Dr@maGeek SILVER, Mckinny, Texas
Wow that was really good yet it seems a little, well a little unrelistic beacuse life hasnt ever worked like that for me but i guess it can happen she loses everything but gets a better guy that is amazing.So i can say that this is great writting and i cant wait to read more.