The Losses of Love, and the Benefits. | Teen Ink

The Losses of Love, and the Benefits.

September 7, 2009
By WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas
WeetzieBat PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas
35 articles 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"OW! Stop pulling my ear! THIS TIME I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!!!"


March 15... The day bad things always happen... That's the day Damon Wilcox happened to break up with me. That's the day I happened to break down in the girl's bathroom on the second floor. That's the day my ex-best friend Tracy Orleans told me she had been secretly dating Damon behind my back for a year.

It had started as a beautiful day. You know the drill. Sunny skies, 60degree weather, and the trees already having beautiful green leaves. I hate days like that. They always turn out bad. So, when you finally think something good is going to happen, a wave of horrible events hits you.
My name is Lydia Banks, and I live in Quantico, on a marine base. My father is a marine, my mother a housewife. So, I fit in perfectly to their little life. One of those straight A's, blond hair, blue eyed, pretty girls, who is popular. But, I'm not the popular type. Because no one likes a goth.

March 15, the day Damon broke up with me, I lost my popularity. I dyed my hair black, put on mass amounts of make-up, bought black clothing, and platform boots. I looked, and acted the part. My so called "friends" didn't care. To them I was just another little outcast.

It was amazing how much everyone seemed to gravitate away from me. Especially Damon. Like he was afraid I'd hurt him. Oh, please. I wouldn't harm a fly.

March 15th I lost love. And March 15 came and went. On March 16 we got a new student in class... Gregory Monroe. His mother had just gotten accepted into the Marine Core. He was charming, you know. Fair skin, gray, misty eyes, and a mop of dark brown hair.

The girls in my class fawned over him. It was "Gregory this." and "Gregory that." in all the hallways. I could scarcely believe my luck when his locker was placed next to mine. And at lunch? We had our first conversation right before lunch..."

"Hey." Greg had said coming up beside me.
"Oh, um, hello" I had replied. Oh I know, very witty. We talked a bit about our schedule's, then he asked if I could show him to lunch.

Little old Lydia, taking the hottie to lunch?! It was implausible... I had showed him to the lunchroom, and sat at my little outcast table. Believe it or not he came to sit by ME. Of all the pretty girls in the cafeteria... ME!

Tracy was checking him out, I could tell. And suddenly all the girls wanted to be my best friend. A pity really, since I would never take them back, being the skanks they were.

Damon, was suddenly all over me. Like he owned me or something. "Back off." He had told Greg as he sat next to me. I didn't understand! Just yesterday Damon hated me, and now he was my boyfriend again?
I exploded..."Damon. Just yesterday, you broke up with me, acted as if I didn't exist, got together with my ex-best friend, AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING HIM TO 'BACK OFF'?!?!"
Silence in the cafeteria... Guess I had yelled louder than I had realized. Damon just stared at me, jaw dropped. No one expected quiet Lydia Banks, with the Marine Corporal father to explode at Damon Wilcox, most popular guy in school.

Greg just shook his head, and started to laugh and laugh. "You actually broke up with HER??" He asked pointing at me. "Why would you give up something that great?"

It was unspoken, but from then on, Greg and I became very good friends. We had almost all our classes together, and he was always really nice to me. Suddenly, everyone's opinion of me changed. I was some amazing, untouchable, goddess!

Then April 3 rolled around... I decided it was time. I would ask out Greg. Once and for all. But... Just as I was about to, Tracy Orleans stepped up to him, and kissed him. He pushed her away...hard. But Tracy doesn't give up easily. So now I was stuck. If I was rejected in front of Tracy the whole school would drop me again... But I took the risk.

Just as Tracy was recovering from the shock of being pushed away, I asked "Greg? Do you wanna hit the movies with me?" He, obviously, said yes. I know, very cliche right?

Greg and I saw a lot of each other after that. On March 15 I thought I could never love again... April 3 changed it all. Tracy and Damon no longer go together, they ended up always fighting. I mean who wouldn't? They were COMPLETELY wrong for each other.

And now, life seems in order. I had love, Damon had nothing, and Tracy...well...She attracted another new kid...The dorkiest one I've ever seen. So what can I say? Apparently there's benefits to losing love.


The author's comments:
I guess I just like romance, so I just wrote a nice little cliche romance I hope you guys enjoy.