Dear Jane, | Teen Ink

Dear Jane,

By JaseC GOLD, Granbury, Texas
JaseC GOLD, Granbury, Texas

Dear Jane,

Something I’ve never said very much: thank you. I thought that I was going to be different from the men that take advantage of you but I guess I’m not. For that I’m sorry. I grew up into something that I never wanted to be, a man without direction, and I did my best to turn my life around so that you and I could be together. It worked for a while, but people have a tendency to fall back into old habits; even when they know that it will ruin what they want the most. I want to be close to you Amy. I would give up anything for that to be true. I’m doing the best I can not going out and partying and things like that, and I’ve even tried having a personal relationship with God. Those things aren’t working out very well and I think that it’s because that you’re not here to help me. You are so important to my life that the thought of me losing you messed me up. I told you that I didn’t want to be your friend because I thought that I would hurt you, and I would rather not be there at all than hurt you. You have other guy friends that you’re close to and you call over and stuff, and I guess I’m just jealous of that. I want you to help me Amy. Because a second before I wrote this, I put down a handgun that would’ve ended my life. I did that because I need help for me to change, and I think that you can help me the most because I’m totally comfortable when I talk to you. Every time that you call and text me, it immediately brightens up my day. I don’t know why, but it just does. I don’t want anything romantic, and I’ve told you that countless times, I just want us to be close.

Yours truly,

Jase Charbonnet

JaseC GOLD said...
JaseC GOLD, Granbury, Texas
ok, that is the most rad book title ever.

AmandaL BRONZE said...
AmandaL BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts

"When you're young, it's okay to be easily ignored." -Jason Mraz

wait wait wait, call your book "Signal to Noise" (as in S/N ratio: ratio of signal power to the noise power interfering with the signal) BECAUSE jane/jase are so similar, and you (jaSe) are sending letters to her (jaNe), sort of like a transmission...trying to communicate...

it's a bit of a stretch, but it's like how English teachers tell you that nothing's arbitrary, and everything has a point. It's sort of symbolic in its own way.

actually who am i kidding; it's a TOTAL stretch, but also kind of cool if you like that sort of thing......

JaseC GOLD said...
JaseC GOLD, Granbury, Texas
haha you caught me on that one :) but I hace recently decided to do that, i'll be taking most from reality but also some from fiction.

AmandaL BRONZE said...
AmandaL BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts

So.

I liked that other letter to "Jane" that you wrote, and I decided (just my opinion) that you should compile a collection of these letters into a book. All three that you've posted on Teen Ink are unique while still about the same person. It really takes talent to write about something different each time you think about one person who clearly means so much to you. You don't really get off-topic like I expected you would (especially in this letter).

(Side note: be sure to consistently use "Jane" and not accidentally "Amy".)

Good luck, Jase.