An Unexpected Friend | Teen Ink

An Unexpected Friend

June 26, 2019
By Kaitlynista BRONZE, Hacienda Heights, California
Kaitlynista BRONZE, Hacienda Heights, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Beep! Beep! Beep!” 


I swung my lifeless arm to silence the blaring sound of the alarm. Of course, I missed and knocked over the lamp that was sitting on my bedside table. 


“Perfect!” I mumbled to myself,”Another great start to a loveless day.” I must have looked even worse than I thought because my dog groaned at the sight of my messy hair, smeared make-up, and skunky morning breath.”Staying up until 5 a.m. watching tons of romantic movies was not the best idea,” I thought to myself.


Despite my dishevelled look and lonely heart, Chase, my Corgi dog, continued to scratch on the front door as he anticipated his weekly Saturday walk. Before I headed out, I decided to throw on some blue, baggy sweatpants that I tucked into my fur Ugg boots. I put my greasy hair into a messy bun and threw on my most comfortable, loose T-shirt. On my way to the door, I glanced at the mirror and made a dejected face at my reflection.


“It’s not like I’m going to find my love today,” I bitterly whispered to myself. I slowly walked out of the house with my dog so excited for the walk.


After a couple of steps in the fresh, cool air, I began to think about the movies that I watched the night before -- from romantic comedies to tragedies everyone seemed to find love, except me.


“Where can I find love?” I thought.


Chase and I walked around our neighborhood for about an hour and were ready to go back until I noticed something.


“It’s a frog in the pond Chase!” I said.


“Rough! Rough!” he barked.


I cautiously walked up to the frog to examine him more closely. I thought about all of the princess movies I’ve watched over the years, and how sometimes the frog turns into a prince. The green amphibian had massive warts all over him, his fragile bones poked through his skin, and he sat still and stared at me.


“Why would I even think about allowing my lips to touch that gross frog? This isn’t a Disney movie, it’s real life.” I thought to myself. 


Yet, the thought of kissing the frog in hopes of finding my true love kept popping up in my mind. Finally, I decided, against my better judgement, to pucker up my lips to kiss the frog. 


“Can you help me find love?” I said sarcastically as I leaned in for a smooch.


“Ribit! Ribit!” said the frog.


“Just do it,” I thought. 


I DID IT… Then, the frog hopped away. I couldn’t believe how bad of a day it was. Me, an adult, with a full time career, is walking around thinking about Disney movies and kissing frogs -- how desperate. Yet, as I sat there sulking with Chase, I noticed a man with a very confused look on his face. This was definitely the worst day of my life.


“Where’s your boyfriend the frog going?” You must have some really bad breath.” he chuckled. 


I nervously laughed and said,”Oh haha, you saw that?” as I slowly walked away.


“Wait up! I’m just joking,” said the man...


I guess kissing a frog really did give me an opportunity at true love. 


The author's comments:

I really enjoy watching romantic-comedy movies so I thought it would be fun to write a short story about the topic.