Love, Wealth, and Desire | Teen Ink

Love, Wealth, and Desire

One Sunday morning, Steven heard a very loud bang and thud as if something were to have fallen from inside of his living room. Steven went to go see what it was and Leonardo was outside looking as pale as a sheep. He was in a fancy suite, it was white, silver, and he had a gold tie. As Steven stood outside he couldn’t believe what Leonardo had done for Lana.

Leo asked, “ Is everything all right, old sport? “

Steven jokingly said, “ If you’re referring to all the flowers you put in my house, then yes. “

He just started at Steven in such a nervous and confused way.

Later, Leonardo was just sitting in the room tapping his foot, and in way he was just making Steven feel uncomfortable from the way he was acting. Steven kept trying to talk to him and make conversation but he just kept asking questions on the way he looked or if everything was good enough. Soon enough, the clock ticked and Leonardo got up and in a frustrated matter.

“ No one is coming to tea. It’s too late! I should've known better than to plan such a foolish thing.”

“ Leo, would you just look at the time, its two minutes to four, she said she would be here. You just need to be patient. “

Moments later Leonardo and Steven heard a car coming into the driveway, he rushed to hide and try to fix himself although he was perfectly fine. Steven then went to answer the door and there was Stevens delightful and perfect cousin standing outside in the cold. We walked to the living room and Lana wouldn’t stop saying how amazing everything was and that she was sure that Steven was in love with her. There was such a quick and soft knock at the door, it was Leonardo. He walks into the room and sees Lana standing their perfect and pout. Leo’s body froze up, she turns and sees Leo. They both just stood there in such an awkward silence. Steven then said he was going to make some food for them and leave them alone while they catch up. Leonardo and Lana both just sat in colorful and messy living room. They both were just nervously waiting for one or the other to say something so they could break the tension in the room. Leo finally says, “ I’ve been waiting for this moment for so long, to finally see your gorgeous face. “

‘ Leo you don’t have to be so kind; … I love your house, it suits you. “

“ I built that mansion just for you Lana, I’ve been trying to picture you all these years walking in and seeing your beautiful smile, you light up this whole place. It reminds me of the old days. When we used to ride those silky white horses up the mountains and watch the stars at the very top, while you smiled at all the small things in life. “

“ I remember those days Leo, and how much I miss them. You always made me happy, no matter what it was. “

“ I want to spend a day with you Leo. “

“ Anything for you, I would do anything to spend a day with you like how we used to. “

“ You’re such a wonderful soul Leo, thank you, I cannot wait to be with you. “

Steven came back into the room and saw Leonardo and Lana talking and didn’t have another care in the world but each other. He knew he had to say something though, because the dinner was all ready and it was almost time for his dear cousin to go back home. 🝔

I choose this scene because I love to imagine their being another part on where you hear Daisy and Gatsby talking about their past and how they met each other and how and why they fell in love. I would love to know why Gatsby did everything he could possibly do or imagine just for one girl. It fascinates me everything a man would do just for the girl he loves and how much hurt one person can take. I also choose this because I feel like it is such an important scene in the book because it is the part where Gatsby and Daisy see each other again.