Life by faith | Teen Ink

Life by faith

March 6, 2018
By khalilahhh BRONZE, Sacramento, California
khalilahhh BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 “Happy birthday Faith!” her family said in unison.

 

The smell of oleleh, fried cassava bread an street cakes filled the air of the small two room home. Faith was so happy that all her friends an family had gathered to enjoy another year of her life.

 

“Thank you mom, I love you so much… I just wish papa was here.” Faith whispered softly to her mother
“Aww baby your father watches you every day he’s always with you, so pick your head up and smile.” Faith's mother said cheerfully.

 

Faith just turned 13 but looked 15. Her smooth brown skin made her auburn red and brown hair fit perfectly with the rest of her features. Her bright smile and hazel eyes made her look like a model from the magazines she had in her room. Her father always encouraged her to do her best in school so she could become a model in the nice cities and have a better life in america. Her thoughts drifted to her father and his smile. All the laughs they shared an she missed him so much.

 

“QUICK HURRY WEST SIDE BOYS! EVERYBODY RUN HIDE PROTECT YOUR KIDS” a man yelled from outside before being shot down in the street.

 

RAT TAT TAT RAT TAT TAT

 

Bullets flew rapidly leaving dead bodies and blood trails. Crying babies, grenades, and assault rifles were all you could hear. West side boys are the most feared gang in west africa and they came to kill, steal, abduct, and rape.

“Listen to me closely faith, you an zaria take the money from my room an run...run as fast as you can for the city and don’t look back. Not for me not for nobody.” her mom stated with tears in her eyes


“But momm-” faith pleaded her voice cracking with every syllable


“IT AIN'T NO BUTS FAITH...just go and remember who you are an where you came from, me and your father will always be with you, now go.” she demanded holding back a river of tears in her eyes. Accepting the fact that would be the last time faith would see her mother she shook her head in disbelief but did as she was told.

“Faith help me move these boxes...HURRY!” Zaria exclaimed scared for her life.

 

They found the money and a gun into a bag. Zaria living with all boys she knew how to use it. The girls heard movement in the front room and started to fear for their life. Zarias little brother kai stepped a little more into the back room. Covered in blood and shaking with fear he looked lost and afraid.


“Zaria… Zaria are you here… please im scared. “ cried a child’s voice


“Kai is that you?” zaria called back in wonder


“Zaria momma and papa are dead, the gang took the boys for soldiers muhammad told me to find you before they did.” Kai cried


“Listen kai we can run to the city but we must leave now me, you, and faith. Ok?” Zaria spoke softly to comfort the young boy Faith came from the closet she was hidden in. They headed for the back door and heard someone calling them from a distance.


¨ KAI, ZARIA WAIT¨ screamed their older brother. BANG BANG and just like that he was sleep forever.


¨NOOOOO,¨ kai sobbed and without thinking ran out to the limp body ¨ No muhammad we need you now.¨


Zaria slipped the gun under her skirt an ran after her loved one. Before they got close enough they were taken an throw in the back of a van.

 

15 hours later

 

¨Rise and shine ladies were home.¨ the driver yelled.

Zaria stayed awake the whole ride planning the escape she knew how to get to the dock and knew the money they had would be enough to get to the united states. As the driver opened the doors Zaria slit his throat and the girls scattered like roaches. Faith awoke from her sleep. She was confused, scared and sick all at one time. Faith knew that Zarias side of the family were hunters and Zaria knew how to kill.


¨Vergewe my god¨ she whispered


¨Zaria what did you do? Where are we?¨ faith questioned with fear


¨I don't know where we are and I did what I had to do it's the only way to live from now on it's kill or be killed¨ Zaria said softly but meant every word.


¨No it's not. Now you are one of them you have their blood on your hands and no prayer will have made up for the sin.¨ faith whispered while staring at the ground.


Before they knew it two more guards were sent out to get them. God had been on their side at that time because the other guards were Zarias brothers that had been taken and put into training a year ago.


¨ Zaria is that you?¨ the older one asked


¨yes brother an we must find kai so we can leave he is not fit to live in slavery we must leave we have money a car an your old enough to be our father if we must act.¨ Zaria pleaded


The two boys took zaria and faith to there hut that all the soldiers had while they went to look for kai. ¨Stay here get ready to leave kai´s truck is on the way we will get him an leave at night.¨ One boy commanded. They had been gone for 3 hours now.


Faith sat and looked at the necklace with a picture of her, her mother and her father in it. Never forget where you came from.the words played in her head over and over but instead of her mother's face she saw her fathers. A tear ran down her face, ¨i'll make it for you guys and never will I ever forget who i am.¨


¨Faith come on their here. We get to live in the America like in the magazines.¨ Zaria said with enthusiasm only to find faith with wet spots on her face, ¨what's wrong faith.¨


Faith looked up and smiled, ¨ Zaria we are free these are tears on joy I can make my mother an father happy, Sierra leone was the cage and we were the birds we now will be free.¨

 

The new life in chicago 10 years later.

 

¨Congratulations Faith she's so beautiful. What will you name here?¨ The nurse asked

¨Aafiyat… it means freedom and it was the name of my mother.¨ faith smiled with joy and cried.


Faith finished high school graduated college and was a therapist for others. She just had her first child with the love of her life and was happier than ever. A new life she had indeed but she never forgot where she came from.

Aafiyat