My Story | Teen Ink

My Story

By maci. SILVER, Chickasha, Oklahoma
maci. SILVER, Chickasha, Oklahoma

Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.

ts funny how one little decision can kill a person. How one little argument can lead to one thing and that one thing can be life threatening. How someone can go to being happy for the most part to walking the halls watching everyone else move on being happy, finding love, growing, and just all together living like nothing happened a month later. You might be wondering who I am talking about, well I’m talking about myself. How you ask. Well it all happened about oh I’d say three years ago. I still remember it like it just happened five minutes ago. Course they say you remember what happened before you die better then anything else. Anyhow, it was just a regular fall day and my dad had a company dinner. Of course being a teenager I didn’t want to go, and if your parents were like mine it would have made them mad if you said that to them. Finally I just told them I had a biology project I had to do that was due tomorrow. Like always my parents got irritated I hadn’t even started yet. Finally though they left. I was in a terrible mood. I went up to my room and turned on my radio and got on the computer. After awhile I heard a noise like someone was messing with the door handle to the font door, then the same at the back door. I got up worried and went into the living room. Looking through the windows I saw an old black station wagon sitting in the drive way. I grabbed the house phone and dialed 911. It hadn’t even began to ring yet when I heard a voice tell me to drop the phone and put my hands in the air. I did as I was told and turned toward the voice. It was some young adult in a mask. I could tell by his voice, his hair, and even his body frame he wasn’t very old. He pointed a gun at me and watched me with blue green eyes. Don’t you dare move or I’ll shoot, he told me twice. He turned so that his side was to me and walked over to the hallway and looked down it. He told me to follow him and of course I did. I looked at the phone lying on the floor. I remember hoping someone had heard all of this. He began taking my moms jewelry and shoving it in a small bag he had stuffed in his pockets. Soon we heard sirens he looked at me and yelled to go to the living room. He looked through the windows and saw the police. He started pacing the floor then without a chance to get out of the way, he shot the gun and I fell to the floor. It hurt, he shot me in my chest. I was scared when I saw the blood. Then I blacked out. Next thing I knew I was in the back of an ambulance looking at my parents scared faces. My mom saw I had awakened and started to cry more. I smiled back at her and that was it. I blacked out for the last time. My spirit never returned to my body. Now I walk the hallways of my house. My parents had a big ceremony and grieved with my family and friends. It hurt to see my them grieve for me like that. But I think it hurt worse to see my girlfriend cry over me like that and not being able to comfort her hurt even more. Now I walk through out the house day and night. You can’t see me, well unless I want you to. They say if you don’t pass on to heaven or hell there is something about unfinished business, but I don’t know mine yet. Sometimes it kinda fun to be a ghost but then again it sucks. It’s not like what you see on TV. On TV it looks cool and like it would be fun but its really not at all. No one sees you unless you want them to and quiet frankly I wanted them to at first then I thought they would probably tell someone and they would think they were weird or nuts and tell authorities they needed help and they would be hauled off to a mental institution. I couldn’t let that happen. I’ve always been careful enough to never make a noise so I wouldn’t scare them. But now as days go on I grow restless and now all I want to do is find out what my unfinished business is and move on. The fact that everyone has moved on makes it worse. My girlfriend moved on and is dating my best friend. My parents don’t even remember me. They closed off my room and that was that. All I want to know is, why can’t I die already. Its like being trapped in a different world where no one can hear you or see you. What is my unfinished business? Why me? What next? How long? These questions will remain unanswered. Now I will remain the keeper of my household, so that no one else has to ever suffer the things I do.