Moonlight Mafia | Teen Ink

Moonlight Mafia

January 22, 2016
By matthok BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
matthok BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The interior of the cabin was pitch black, and filled with the screams of girls and boys tripping over furniture. No one could see, and no one could hear. It was a perfect scenario for I, the mafia member. My goal as mafia was simple: to kill as many of my fellow classmates as I could without getting caught, using nothing but my wit, stealth, and the darkness around me.

It was a simple objective, but one that required extreme focus, and over the top commitment in order to win. My class showed dedication for the game because the game was only played once a year on the choir retreat, a weekend getaway to the beach. Every January, Mr. Johnson would take all 31 of his concert choir singers to Camp Magruder. The trip was designed to bring the members of the choir closer together through games and activities, such as Mafia. We took that game too serious at times, but that's what made it fun.
No one knew I was a mafia except Mr. Johnson, the one who selected me. There were three other Mafia members selected, but all of our identities were kept a secret, even to other mafia.  We had to be careful about who, where, and when we killed because whenever a classmate would discover one of our victims, they would shout “Dead Body!” and the lights would be turned on. The remaining survivors, including myself, would gather around the body and discuss who could have committed the crime. If the majority agrees you were the killer, you were out of the game. That’s why I had to avoid getting caught at all costs. Before the game started I scanned the room, taking in my surroundings. Without my sense of sight I wouldn't be able to move so swiftly, so in a strategic effort, I memorized the locations of every piece of furniture and doorways.
The group stood in the common area of the Smith cabin, which consisted of a coffee table, two large brown leather couches facing each other, and a recliner on the left end. Doors that led to bedrooms lined the walls of the common area, but were off limits during the game. On the right end of the couches there was an opening in the wall that led to an open kitchen area. When you walked into the kitchen, the wall to the right features a counter with an oven beneath, and cabinets above. In the corner to my left there was a tall refrigerator, and next to it sat a large plastic table, which was up against its wall. The back wall of the kitchen had four doorways to the bathrooms and showers, those of which were also off limits. The front door of the cabin in the living area led to a deck. On the other end of the deck there was an identical cabin called Herron. That was the guy's cabin. People were allowed to travel back and forth between the two, but no one was allowed to kill outside. The playing field was in tight, close quarters.
Killing would be difficult, so I crafted my plan to take every factor into account. Phase one: follow my girlfriend Kristina around and act uninterested in the game. This also included showing up to every post-murder discussion late, and acting scared when the lights went off. Phase two: wait until ten people were taken out by other mafia members, then begin the killing spree. It would make killing easier because there would be less people around to notice you, which would heavily decrease the chance of me being accused. Phase three: win the game.
We continued standing in the circle for a little while longer. Most of the class turned and began to talk to each other, mingling about how cute each others shoes were, who they thought the cutest boys were, and who they thought their potential murderers could be. The class was made up of eight guys, and twenty-two girls. I watched them interact, who spoke to who, and who didn't. I analyzed body language, and what people were wearing for the game. Many people were wearing all black for the game to help and enhance the use of the darkness. Those are the people I kept an eye out for. There was one guy I payed special attention to: Albert. He was my best guy friend in the choir, and took this game as seriously as I did. I knew he wanted to be Mafia so bad, so when I watched him somberly walk to his room and change his clothes, I knew he'd given up on the game already. Obviously he wasn't Mafia… Or was he?
My girlfriend Kristina approached me and gave me a hug. I knew if there was anyone I could trust, it was her. She was my best friend and knew everything there was to know about me.
“I know that look babe. You're obviously Mafia.” She said sarcastically. I freaked out and pulled her outside.
“Are you serious? Do you think anyone could tell?”
“Calm down Matt” she said, laughing, “You know your secret is safe with me.”
She was right. If there was anyone I could trust it was her. She was essential to my plan too, so I still had to ask “Can we stick togeth-”
“Hey I was thinking it would be kind of a good idea if we stuck together. No one will think you're mafia! Plus, what safer position is there than being in  a co-dependant relationship with the killer?” she interrupted.
“You have a point.” I groaned. “But at the end of the game I’m going to have to kill you. Are you sure that’s okay?”
“How about I just quit, so you don't have to kill me?” She asked with an innocent grin.
“That works for me.”
Without warning, the lights turned off. I grabbed Kristina and took her to the corner of the room, while the rest of the class shared an initial scream. Some of the class laughed it off together, and none of them were wearing black. The rest of the class was gone.
The room was nothingness. Faint moonlight peered in through a sliver of opening from the front windows. It was a pathetic little light, but the room was so dark that it tore through the air like a lightning bolt. The only thing you could see was everything that the light touched. I took note to avoid that area.
“Dead body! Dead Body!” The voice rifled through the silence. Lights flashed on and the few kids still in Smith Cabin hustled over to see what happened. I made sure Kristina and I arrived last to completely assure our safety from accusation. Upon arrival, things were already heated. The large circle of people hovered around something, and two voices shot back and forth. This is how most debates went until eventually a third party would side with the accuser, because everyone was tired of standing around.
Right on cue, a third voice popped up and agreed with the accuser. The accuser was none other than Hailey. She was the choir president, and the preppy, obnoxious, rich snob prom queen that could probably write an entire book on how to be condescending. Hailey called for a show of hands, and everyone raised them. With a smirk, she waved goodbye to poor Eli. As the crowd cleared, I finally saw the eight dead bodies on the floor.
Eight dead bodies was an unreal number. Especially for an opening kill. It was a risky move by Eli, but it was a huge help to me because I was only that much closer to victory without even lifting a finger. The game continued to progress with kills at a gradual rate. One or two dead bodies were discovered every few minutes. Every time a decision was made in about thirty seconds. For us Mafia veterans, this was how the game usually played. It gradually whittles down until six participants remain, then everyone hides alone and waits each other out in an effort to expose the last mafia.
Things started to slow when only eight remained, and the tension began to rise. Kristina and I had remained in the same corner all game, avoiding people like the plague. Quietly watching the sliver of moon light, I suddenly noticed a body move through it in our direction. I attempted to track it through the darkness, but lost it almost immediately. Frantic, I was about to call out, but I stopped when a second figure lunged through the light. A loud gasp quickly followed, and a thump boomed across the room.
“Dead body! Dead body!” I screamed it until the lights turned on. Whitney’s body laid there upon the floor, and her killer was nowhere to be seen. The people began to rush in the door to our right and immediately looked at us. They shot us dirty looks, and we started to frantically defend ourselves, but we couldn’t explain who could’ve killed her if there wasn’t anyone else in the building. Just when it seemed like all hope was lost, Hailey walked in through the door behind them.
“Well well… it looks as though we have found our killer and their accomplice. Any last words before we kick both of you out?”
I sat there in confusion. How could Hailey have arrived so late to the meeting? Something did not add up. I looked at the other three people.
“How many of you were in the other cabin?” I asked.
Hesitant and confused, John replied “I guess there were only the three of us. We all hid together.”
“There were four of us over here. Kristina was with me, and we saw Whitney walk across the room. We saw someone attack her and then leave before the lights turned on.”
“That means it had to have been Hailey. If she wasn’t in our cabin or yours, where was she?” Kristina exclaimed.
For once, the tables were turned. Hailey was now the one being attacked.
“I was hiding in a different part of the Herron cabin than you John! You guys passed me on the way out.” Hailey stated. “It had to be one of them they are literally standing five feet from the body!”
“I guess that makes sense. All in favor of Matt and Kristina?”
“Wait!” Kristina blurted. “Check the back door of this cabin.” John walked through the kitchen to the back door. He came then came right back and said, “The door is open?”
Kristina quickly followed up “Look at her shoes! They’re dirty!”
I put it all together. “Hailey killed Whitney, then snuck out the back door and walked around to the deck. She waited for you guys to pass, so she could walk in behind you and pretend nothing happened.” Every eye in the room landed on Hailey.
“All in favor?” Kristina said with a classic “Hailey smirk”.
“Wait that’s not fair!” Hailey complained.
It was too late. Every hand was in the air. She pouted and walked out out of the room. I watched and waved goodbye.
With six people remaining, including myself, I knew my chances to avoid being accused were slim. I decided that it was time to go big or go home. I was going to attempt to kill the other four people and win the game in one play. We waited for a little while the remaining people split up and ran. Once they were gone, I told Kristina to wait here, and I took off.
It started off easy because everyone was isolated. I snuck up, and silently killed Albert with no witnesses. I knew Hannah was across the room behind a couch. I slowly approached, making sure I made no sound. I pounced on her, ending her life. Three remained, all in the adjacent cabin. I walked along the wooden deck connecting the the structures, changing characters from a confident serial killer to a scared victim that joined the others.
I entered the cabin, and whispered “Hello?,” as I imagined one of my victims would do. They were hidden and apparently didn't want to be found.
I began to search the cabin cautiously, so that if anyone saw me they would see me as a victim. I entered the kitchen and peered through the darkness. I could barely make out two figures sitting next to each other on the floor against a wall. I continued to approach them slowly and kept calling to them, wondering why they wouldnt reply. It was almost eerie, for it wasn't normal for someone to just stare at you and ignore you. I finally was close enough to see their faces. Terror washed over me, and a sharp chill ran up my spine, as I realized that their eyes were closed. They were already dead, and I wasn't the one who killed them.
The tables had turned, and this time I really was afraid. I cautiously turned around. Suddenly, I felt a cold hand grab my arm, and the other slowly slide along my throat. I screamed and collapsed to the ground, as dead bodies do. The game ended and the lights turned on for the last time. The last person standing was Kristina! All along I thought I was the last Mafia, but she let me take everyone out for her just to swoop in and take the glory.
She always was one step ahead of me, and I loved her for that. I always took her on a good ride, and she always steered me in the right directions. It was young love at its finest. We were peanut butter and jelly, and I was proud to call her my best friend. That's why I couldn't stay mad at her for killing me in Mafia, despite it being one of the most important games to the choir.
After the game, we had some free time before bed, so Kristina, Maddy, Albert, and I snuck off to the beach and met some of the other choir members there. We built a small fire and sang songs, while Albert played his ukulele.
Kristina and I layed in soft, but cold sand. The frigid winds slapped us across the face, but I pulled her closer to me. I put her hood up over her head and held her tight. She looked up, gazing at the stars, and I felt I should do the same, but all I could do was look at her. She was the brightest star, and the only one I felt the need to look at.

She noticed me staring and asked “Why are you staring at me? Look up there it’s beautiful.”
I couldn’t say anything. All I could do was look at her eyes. The light of the fire reflected off her dark pupils, and I suddenly felt warmer. With my right hand, I brushed her hair back behind her ear and kissed her. I lost count of how many times waves crashed against the shore before I pulled away. The light in her eyes was bigger now, and she didn't look cold. Her hood had slipped off her head, but she never went to fix it.


The author's comments:

This was written for a school assignment, but I enjoyed writing this story so I have been thinking about developing it.