Resupply | Teen Ink

Resupply

By Konosuke BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Konosuke BRONZE, Cupertino, California

"Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate"
-John F. Kennedy

“November nine two five, taxi to the runway via taxiway alpha alpha one (AA1).” I heard the ground say. It was the day which will be very painful and hard, but I still didn’t know. “November 925,  Roger that”, Tom,  who is the captain of this plane, said.I was the “newbie” in this airline and just got the training.  The airplane, which was the boeing 787, moved a bit. About a minute later, the tow detached from our 787. We were finally on our way to Narita airport,  japan . The air traffic is heavy, and it is hard to land for the first timers. This was the first time I was  on a airplane other than a cessna. I knew that being a commercial pilot was not dangerous than being a fighter pilot, so I took this airline’s interview. Thankfully, the airline let me in. And here I was, in a 787 jet, ready to got japan.
The turbofan engine of the 787 started to roar just as I pushed the throttle. This was my first flight with this airline. I pulled the yoke and kept that way. The 787 started to climb, at 6000 feet per minutes. I looked to my left, Tom was pushing the gear up switch. There was the loud sound of gear going up, and the 787 got a little faster. Tom handled the ATC and did a thumbs up. That meant that we were going with the flow of the air traffic ant it also meant that we took off safely. We still didn’t know what’s going to happen. After we were at 12000 feet, I pushed the seat belt button. Now, everyone can get out of their seats. Tom and I were talking about the fact that the airline is taking less people. 
After about a two hour from takeoff, the radio turned silent. I knew that mostly, the radio doesn’t turn silent because there was a lot of aircrafts flying in pacific airspace.This suggested that we were only one flying in 50 mile range of the ATC. Then we saw one aircraft on our wide range radar. Our radar has a range of miles, which means there is aircraft. Suddenly, we heard a voice on our radio. “There was earthquake in Japan. You can’t land there.”, as I looked at the news online, it showed the pictures from the very first responders. It was chaotic. I announced that to the cabin since most of the passengers were Japanese.
“November 925, cleared for landing. One for landing at runway 25.” The tower announced that we could land. We had  only 50 pounds of fuel. I cut the power and dropped the flaps to 100%. The runway was a mess, with many military aircraft. I heard that the self defence force of japan were short of pilots since many died. We were 30 feet off the ground when suddenly, there was another huge earthquake. Our 787 was going up and down and shaking too. I used the emergency brake to stop our plane. In about 5 seconds later, the airplane stopped. The runway cracked as the earthquake hit, so we couldn’t see the yellow line for taxiing. The ground told me to go to the nearest gate and wait. A minute later, we were at our final destination. Everyone rushed outside the plane, hopeless. Then, one military uniformed man came toward me. “We are short of pilots to fly the C-17 for airdrop, I want you to come and help us out”, he said. I followed him to the airplane with my luggage, saying bye to Tom.
The first officer was tall, and was about the same age as me. He said that his captain, the buddy, died in the earthquake ten minutes earlier. “Well, welcome to our aircraft, let me explain some features.” he said, as he looked at my pilot’s license. I pushed buttons of all sort, and the airplane was roaring. The crew brought the luggage and the supply we are going to airdrop.“How do you know how to fly this plane?” the first officer asked. “I don’t know”, I said, pushing the throttle to full.
We were above the disaster’s main damaged spot. The altitude we were was 3000 feet. We were circling over the airdrop spot to see if it’s safe. The spot was a high school. I opened a huge door in the back of the plane to airdrop. Suddenly, I saw the boxes going out , then the parachute opened. The package, which was to land at the exact location, landed in a place close, but not enough. The people at the site had a radio, and the bad thing was that there was no one knew how to use it, so we didn’t get any answer. So, we did it old school way. We used the ICAO signal, which also, no one understood. The ICAO signal is a signal which is like, rocking the aircraft’s wings. We asked over the loudspeaker that if they received the packages, and they finally said yes. They said that they received the packages and it was fine, including the food and the clothing. It was rainy, but the clothing and food was still dry. “Well then, we finished our job.”, the pilot said. We were on our way back home.
“Japan Air Self Defence Force 250, cleared for landing at runway 25 right.”, the Narita Tower said to us. “Roger, cleared for landing at runway 25 right, JASDF 250.”, I replied. The aircraft was descending steadily, approaching the airport. The the runway was long, so it was not very hard. Not hard at all.
One lonely month later, without any interesting or exciting event,  I received a package from the pilot. I opend the package, ready to respond to whatever is inside it. There was a envelope with papers and a parachute. It was a great deal of thinking to be done before I realised that it was a memorabilia from the work I had done. I called him, saying thank you, and appointed to meet him in the airport to fly together. The tragic event, somehow made a new friend who I will fly with.

This story is based on my expericence of 3/11 earthquake in Japan.